New cancer diagnosis and rapamycin

My wife and I have been taking rapamycin for about 2 years. She is a previously healthy 58 yo woman 65kg with a BMI of about 20. She is a vegan and beside elevated apoB and being double apoE4 positive is healthy. She’s been taking 6 mg every week for a year and we recently switched to every 10 days.
She received one covid mRNA vaccine in 2021 but no other doses.
She developed an axillary node that we assumed was reactive but was biopsied and came back adenocarcinoma likely breast. it is large at 3.5x 2.5 cm in size. It is GATA-3 and pancytokeratin positive, ER and PR negative and equivocal for HER-2.
She has had a negative US, CXR, Chest and abdominal CT and bone scan. No evidence of a breast primary but we are awaiting a PET scan.
Questions for the group.
What do you think the role for continuing rapamycin is?
What is the evidence that it could either help or hurt in the progression of the cancer?
Once you have cancer does it make sense to continue the rapa or to stop it or to go up on the dose?
My read on the literature is unclear.
Hoping for thoughts from the group.
We are still waiting to hear reccomendations from oncology but likely they will reccomend chemo then possibly surgery.
We are likely to add HBOT and ketosis but that is for another post.

11 Likes

No-brainer supplements for cancer include Pectasol, which is just a modified citrus pectin that blocks galectin 3.

IP6 inositol, a little hard to take all this stuff on an empty stomach.

Then there are drugs like melatonin, fenbendazole (I’d buy from a farm store but it’s your body), and pairing doxycycline with IV vitamin C might help. Metformin is always good.

CARE, block center, there are several places that will advise on using old drugs off label to really help here. They work with the doctors you are using and are not crazy. They know the cancers and will prescribe the ones that will work best.

My daughter went vegan to fight her cancer and my only problem with it is the carbs. Keto vegan might work better, but I’m no expert.

3 Likes

my gf is an oncologist she often says that if someone with a triple negative breast cancer responds they have a good chance of getting cured (though most don’t get a good response) on of the medications given for her2 negative breastcancers is everolimus a rapalogue. I wouldn’t take rapamycin unless maybe your wife didn’t have a good response otherwise it might interfere

hope your wife gets better

3 Likes

Grabovac, I have no thoughts on the use of rapamycin with cancer. But, I have other ideas noted below.

I am not a doctor, but I’ve tried to be reasonably informed about cancers. I recommend you read the book “How to Starve Cancer” by Jane McLelland." She spends a lot of time telling her story in Part One which is useful, but if you’re short on time, Part Two may get to the point quicker.

A second story I’ve read through quite a few times is the Joe Tippens story about his lung cancer and his cure. This is the origin of the use of fenbendazole for cancer, I believe. I believe that “he believes” that everything he did worked for him and he believes it applies to cancer in general, but this is debatable. This link to Cancer Survivors Network is a brief read with a link to the Joe Tippens story: Joe Tippen Cancer Story-Recently Shared With Me-For Your Consideration — Cancer Survivors Network The Joe Tippens story is somewhat rambling, but can be read in an hour or so and apparently he does not profit from his story which gives it more credibility. His protocol doesn’t seem onerous or expensive and I keep it in mind as a possible addition to my doctor’s protocol if I am ever diagnosed positive.

These are just thoughts from an average guy with no medical experience.

2 Likes

Grabovac, thank you for starting this thread. It’s very timely. I just heard a friend has bladder cancer and is about to start chemo and radiation. I haven’t paid much attention to cancer yet and I appreciate getting an introduction to some information that might help her.

She’s seeing a good oncologist and also a naturopathic oncologist who wants her to drink a lot of matcha polyphenols. The studies I found say you can’t get enough polyphenols from drinking tea to make a big difference with cancer but you can with EGCG supplements. There is interesting animal work regarding Nano EGCG but it can’t be bought. However, liposomal EGCG is.

Her doc has her on mitomycin and another medication that I’ll get the name of. The naturopath has some good ideas but it’s all straight extracts. Rather than biologically available ones.

Laboratory mice mostly die fom cancer and Rapamycin extends lifespan of mice - so it is the argument to take Rapamycin
But some cancers could be exacerbated via low mTor or Rapamycin

So it is the best to ask a doctor

2 Likes

This is true. For most cancers, from what I’ve seen, rapamycin likely slows the progression, but there are a few that it wasn’t helpful with and might exacerbate things. We should pull together a list of the cancers where it has beneficial effects, and the much shorter list of things where its not helpful.

A related thread: Rapamycin - for Cancer Prevention

4 Likes

This will be considered very alternative, but take a look at Rife machines. This therapy is proving helpful for cancer patients. Also, cut out all sugar and simple carbs from your diet and you will starve any chance of growth!

1 Like

I can say that rapalogs such as everolimus,temsirolimus, and even sirolimus itself, is extensively used by practitioners for the treatment of breast cancer. There have been many studies showing the synergistic effects of rapalogs + aromotase inhibitors such as femara and arimidex or even tamoxifen.
“mTOR signaling is required for estrogen-induced breast tumor cell proliferation. Moreover, RAD001-letrozole combinations can act in a synergistic manner to inhibit proliferation and trigger apoptotic cell death.”

Given that many patients are resistant to endocrine therapy, many studies showed that the progression free survival, QoL, tolerance, and overalll treatment response to the combination were significantly improved.

That’s one of the reasons we decided to keep a family member with ER+ Her2- breast cancer on the rapamycin she was taking for longevity reasons. Anyways she was taking letrozole (femara), so why not take advantage the synergistic benefit. I used to be against endocrine therapy, but you have to keep in mind once you knock out the ER (or whatever the minimal remaining ER levels are in post menopausal women) , that’s one less thing to fuel the cancer. But reported side effects that come with the endocrine therapy at some point become untolerable ie: hair loss, agitation and paranoia, bone mass loss, memory loss, fatigue, etc… are all typical.
Although Femara is the better tolerated one, most patients do not continue the drugs due to the side effects which as i said at some point become intolerable for everyone. So cyclical dosing (every 2 days) in lower stage breast cancers should be ok. All depends on the aggressiveness.

I wrote another post about some of the treatments for the cancer my family member did, but keep in mind the full list of “alternative” treatments done was enormous . (Prostate Cancer and Rapamycin? - #25 by tfl.phd)

Cancer is one of things that you have to attack from every possible angle (diet, stress, glucose and glutamine control, inhibiting growth factor pathways,decreasing inflamation, lowering iron, increasing oxygen utilization via ozone, mebendazole adn ivermectin , eradicating cancer stem cell via IVC, doxy and azithromycin, organ function optimization etc…)

https://www.annalsofoncology.org/article/S0923-7534(19)47735-1/fulltext

2 Likes

I would also add, it probably also depends on the rapa dose. If you are taking huge doses with the possiblity of inhibiting mTORC2 then that might be immunosuppresive to the point of promoting the cancer/metastasis.

But if you take the optimal dose then in theory and based on my family members bloodwork it could actually be immuno-stimulating which is what we want.

In the studies and what is usually prescribed to patients with cancer given rapalogs is the daily dosing which I think is too risky.

This does not address your question, but this may be helpful. About 5 years ago I came across a vet in Canada, Dr. Richard Calland. He told me at the time that he had been using Salvestrols for treating dogs with cancer for about 15 years - and he had only lost two dogs. Based on his recomendation, we started giving Salvestrols to one of our dogs that had recently been diagnosed with bladder cancer. About 3-4 months later new scans could not find any evidence of cancer. We then started recommending Salvestrols to other other people that had dogs with cancer. I was able to follow 6 of them, to date, and they are were all cancer free in less than 6 months.

More recently, my brotheri-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer. At the time, his PSA was 14.7. We contacted Salvestrol.ca and they told us to contact a Dr. Adam Crouch located in Ohio, near my brother-in-law, and we started my brother-in-law on Dr, Crouch’s Salvestrols protocol. Three to four months later his PSA dropped to 1.0, and that was about a year ago. I have since talked with a lot of people about Salvestrols, and it has not always worked for everyone, but it is a simple, inexpensive and a non-toxic solution, so it is worth a try. Also, some people have elected to do both Salvestrols and conventional treatments. I am following one bladder cancer patient now that is using both Salvestrols and conventional chomtherapy drugs. It is too early to tell, but so far he shows no signs of cancer.

One of the problems with Salvestrols is that there are a lot of inhibitors (e.g., metformin, Resveratrol, articial sweetners, etc.), which you can read about on the Salvestrol.ca website FAQs. There are two books on Salvestrols by Brian Schaefer that are available on Amazon: “Salvestrols: Nature’s Defense Against Cancer” (science) and “Salvestrols: Journey to Wellness” (case studies). Schaefer worked with the developers of Salvestrols: Dr. Danny Burke, Ph.D., Gerard d A. Potter, Ph.D. I hope this was helpful.

6 Likes