Near infrared light therapy: Any experiences?

@desertshores I hear you. People are different and products are different, so results may vary.

Here’s my experience. I purchased my first device, made by DGYAO, for hands, two years ago. I bought it with no expectation at all. I used it daily for 20 minutes. To my surprise, I noticed that the skin on my hands became very smooth and even-toned.

That’s when I got hooked on it. I’ve since purchased many devices, made by DGYAO and other manufacturers. I may buy more in the future. I do red light therapy daily (unless I travel). I do see a difference in my skin and hair, otherwise I wouldn’t keep buying more devices.

3 Likes

@eli I am a fan of sauna, but I’ve never used a sauna blanket before. I’ve seen it on YouTube, so maybe you can search for reviews on YouTube.

By the way, the benefit of heat (from various sources including infrared), is different from red light therapy. They’re two different things.

2 Likes

I’m now feeling the 850/660 light is definitely impacting my eyes somehow, and not in a good way. Just this morning i have just for two days increased “treatment” to 20-30 minutes per targeted body part (per @Joseph_Lavelle ) and have the panels face down on my legs this morning while reading, my eyes felt worse (no pain, just “strain”). I covered the panels with a sheet and still felt some of this “strain”, and now have a pillow over them and my eyes are ok but still feel “strained”. Again may have nothing to do with the LED but it sure seems coincident with my use. Maybe it is making my eyes healthier and this is part of the “healing” but my reading eyesight seems to be getting suddenly worse with panel usage. Could be simply bad timing but seems to be highly correlated.

I need to come up with a plan to protect my eyes better because good eyesight was supposed to be a perk of healthier longevity: the thick plastic eye cups aren’t doing it for me. Maybe wrap them with aluminum foil? Copper foil?

1 Like

Good idea to protect the eyes…just in case (limited upside; big downside). I haven’t noticed anything but i use a small lamp, and I don’t use it on my face very often due to competing priorities.

Maybe try keeping the eyes closed.

FWIW

Get yourself burning/welding glasses green lens minimum shade 5.0

To protect your retina cells from damage from the IR radiation . All IR radiation causes damage to the retina cells. The damage dose not show/is evident for 10 year or longer into the future.

Review the following {good basis information], disregard the advertising.

2 Likes

Not sure which video you are referring to. He just posted a tweet with his protocol yesterday and the light manufacturer he uses not sure he would do that if he was against it.?

https://twitter.com/bryan_johnson/status/1686777700126707713?s=20

Órdered my first Infrared Dgyao pad / helmet (thank you very much Kandice for sharing your precious knowledge and all the useful info) ; will try to be consistent and make pictures :relaxed:

2 Likes

Interesting video by Medcram on IR
MedCram IR video

1 Like

MedCrams latest on IR for immune health. He recommends getting outside for an hour a day while covering up to avoid UV. He says he believes (and studies show) that IR reduces Long COVID symptoms dramatically.

1 Like

Yeah, he just blanket said it would go through clothing. I would like to see something maybe a little more complete. How thick of a shirt? Made of what fabric?

What I’ve read is that morning and evening, when the sun is low and it has to go through more atmosphere. Then you don’t get the UV, but you do still get IR.

So go barefoot for the grounding, naked at noon for the UV. Caveman healthy!

1 Like

IR of midday sun will go through your skull. I don’t think the clothing type or thickness matters. On the other hand, I think any shirt will block UV, so wear what you want. Also wear a broad rim hat and sunscreen on hands, is the advice I’ve gotten.

Add: I’ve heard the same about morning sunshine. Also that you don’t have to be in direct sunlight to get IR (it bounces from green leaves).

1 Like

Any opinion from the experts on the new theraface mask ( from therabody) ? They claim to have more lights than any competitor ( “648 Leds”) ; no hole in the mask for mouth or nose though ( wonder wether this is more unpleasant) nor neck is covered … many thanks :pray:

Therabody do not give any useful specification so it’s hard to tell.
That said they run for 120 minutes on a battery charge so the irradiance is very small. The number of LEDs is only meaningful for the light distribution but not the intensity.
No opinion on the vibrations though.

2 Likes

@eli A few things to consider:

1. Do you have acne? If not, you don’t need the blue light.
  2. I don’t know if the vibration is beneficial or not.
  3. The website does not specify the light intensity.
  4. The website does not specify the wavelengths.
  5. The website does not specify how many of the LEDs are red, infrared, and blue.
  6. High price.
3 Likes

The masks are useless. Get a full body panel with high irradiance. Get it direct from the manufacturer in China. I’ve owned and loved one for about a year. Gets used near daily and it’s really helped with skin. My husband uses it for muscle aches — says it works better than anything else he’s tried.

Tells you exactly the irradiance at each level of distance. And it’s for the full body, not just the face. I incorporate it into my routine, so some reading sitting in front of it at a certain time of day every day. Good for the eyes too, no need to wear goggles.

A creepy mask will just collect dust and the irradiance is low anyway. Other users made my points Re: blue lights and vibration.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your very useful comments and taking time to answer; very much appreciated.

You are right that not much specifics are given ; I just found this : number of elements make the TheraFace Mask different from typical LED face masks. First off, the TheraFace Mask has a 648 medical-grade LEDs, and each of the 648 lights can produce all three wavelengths. Bankston said this isn’t common, as most masks split the lights up among red, blue, and infrared.” On the website of harpers bazaar but no official technical details anywhere; no info on intensity either.

I also don’t need blue light nor vibration indeed.

The weight of the eco face platinum you recommended is also significantly less ( about half ) and has a much better price.

The only reason I got excited about this new mask is that therabody has a reputation of good quality and user friendly products (have some of their products that I managed to buy with discounts).

Probably better to wait until more reviews come out or buy the eco face platinum : by the way is there a difference between the rose gold ( which seems sold out everywhere) you recommended and the gold ( still available and on sale ) ?

Thanks a lot

This is very interesting: thank you ! Is this the link to the specific product and the seller you used ?

So you can use this while working on pc for instance ? ( cause according to therabody explanation, their mask would have cushions in It to allow this )

I remember reading sth about the need of having such panels close to your skin so I was under the impression that for face and neck this was not the ideal solution, but I am no expert. Indeed the panel allows to treat a much bigger surface. Thanks again very helpful

@eli In terms of Eco Face Platinum, you can email the seller and ask them if the gold and rose gold are the same (other than the color on the outside).

For the TheraFace Mask, it says that there are 648 LEDs. I counted the number of bulbs by looking at it on the website and I got 216 (if I counted correctly). That means that are 3 chips in each bulb, so 1 chip for each wavelength.

Based on the article that I posted above on 7/31/23 (title: Proper Red Light Therapy dosing - Contact Method and Skin Reflectance), it’s best to have the device as close to the skin as possible to minimize diffusion and reflection, which reduce the amount of the light that penetrates the skin. So I always look for devices that can be place directly on the skin or very close to it.

I know the manufacturers of hard panels account for diffusion, but I don’t know if they account for reflection. Also, the body surface is not flat and a hard panel does not distribute light evenly across the surface, especially the farther away you’re from it. So I think devices that are specifically designed for the contours of specific body parts may be more effective at delivering light to the target area.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m a longtime reader and new member. I don’t have dermatological photos or other objective measures, but thought I would share anecdotal evidence in case it’s useful to someone.

About 10 years ago, my daughter experiences pretty severe acne and I found colored light therapy in searching for a non-drug cure. I ordered a three-panel light offering LED lights in 3 colors (don’t know precise wavelengths) and when it arrived, I didn’t feel right just handing it to my child, so I decided to try it myself. At that point, I was doing nothing in the healthspan sphere, so no confounding factors. I used the light on red for 20 minutes, felt absolutely nothing. Turned it on again for 20 minutes, felt absolutely nothing. Figured it wouldn’t kill daughter, handed it to her and thought nothing of it. About nine hours later, I had that feeling on my face of having used a really drying soap and thought to myself, “Why is my skin suddenly getting so TIGHT?” And it hit me - my skin was getting tighter the day of use. Daughter’s acne was gone in about 2 weeks, my crow’s feet were gone in about four. I’ve never looked back.

I own several devices. Original purchase was a Norlanya 3 panel - seems to be the best for me at evening skin tone. Have a Red Rush 360 (660 nm and 810 nm) for pain relief and wound healing. Have a Vielight Neuro for spouse with family history of Alzheimer’s. Have more. Won’t travel without at least a small red light.

I wonder if those who see no benefit may already be doing so much for skin that the light doesn’t move the needle much beyond a catalog of other interventions?

5 Likes