My Rapamycin Journey log

Have been on D3 and K2 for years. Eat home made cheese + kefir all the time. Need to increase weight bearing exercises though.

2 Likes

Please share it. I’m very interested to learn.

I guess it might work if you are deficient. But I tested my vit D3 level and it is above the low end of the range. I dont think increasing it above certain level will bring any benefit for bone density.

1 Like

My D3 is always close to the upper level and sometimes even higher. But nevertheless my bone density is -1.3 Don’t understand why. The only explanation that comes to mind in my case is consequences of kidney transplant.

1 Like

Yesterday I have done my second DXA scan and the result were pretty similar to the initial test I have done a month ago.

Give my low free test and low testosterone as one of the causes for low bone density, I will have to look more into the testosterone part.

2 Likes

Hi all again. I finally had my second appointment with the endocrinologist yesterday. She is happy with my hormonal panel and does not consider the current levels of free T to be too low (which I do not totally agree). So no treatment on the T side at the moment. She did give me a recommendation to re-check the test levels in a couple of months and I asked for a more complete panel, including SHGB, DHT, DHEA and she added others as well like Androstenedione, Osteocalcin, β–CTx (Beta-CrossLaps), Estrone (E1) .

As treatment she recommended

1. Alfacalcidol 0.5 mcg, 1 tb/day
  2. 4Bones plus 1 tb/day for the first 20 days of the month (total treatment for 1 year)

At the end of this period, I will retake the DXA scan. I am not sold on this treatment to be honest and I will do some more research before starting it…

I am closer and closer to my rapa treatment starting date. I will do another blood panel at the beginning of next month to have another baseline.

Fingers crossed! :two_hearts:

1 Like

I got my last week blood draw results, and overall things look good, with some exceptions.

First thing that I was interested, were LDL and ApoB, since 3 months have past from starting low dose statin of 2.5 mg rosuvastatin combined with 5 mg ezetimibe. The values were down really good compared to previous draw:

HDL and trigs are still around the same levels as previously

On the flip side, I got a big increase in ALT and a small one in AST. Not happy about this, but I read it could happen for a small percentage of those taking statins. Not happy at all with the result and I am looking at some ways to lower these enzyme values: Any suggestions are appreciated. I might drop the ezetimib and increase the rosuvastatin. Not sure which one is at fault here… or maybe both?

Interesting is that on 3rd Nov, I got ALT tested along the hormonal panel (at a different lab) and it was 39.3 U/L Normal range of that lab is [5 - 41]. Not sure why 20 days later the value is so much worse… Rest of the hepatic enzymes like GGT, lipaze, amylase, alkaline phosphatase, bilirubin, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) are normal.

Glucose and insulin are better, but I think this is due to extensive weight training in the past 6 months.

For the pheno age, I can have an accurate reading since I measured all the params at once

I am debating if I should do a VO2Max as a baseline test as well? What do you guys think?

Given all this info, I believe I will start with 1mg of rapa next week, most likely in Monday.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Do not be surprised if your Levine age test markers do not improve after taking rapamycin. As I have posted before, rapamycin increased my age on the Levine spreadsheet. While a couple of markers improved others got worse, along with increased lipids, which is not covered on the Levine spreadsheet. Though I don’t expect a 1mg/wk dose of rapa to have any significant effect.

3 Likes

Yeah, I ment I will start with 1 mg on Monday and ramp up to 6 mg over the next weeks. Sorry for the confusion.

3 Likes

After a discussion with an MD friend of mine, I decided to drop the ezetimibe and keep the rosuvastatin as a low dose only. I will redo my blood work in a couple of months and decide if I will increase it or not.

Going back to the main topic of this thread, today both me and my wife, took our first dose of 1mg rapa with a tablespoon of olive oil after our oatmeal breakfast. No significant effects so far, apart from a jitteriness and a zit on my eyebrow, but it could be a coincidence or placebo.

Let the journey begin! I will keep you posted.

4 Likes

I think I might have spoken a touch too early. I just got 2 huge skin herpes rashes in both of my nostrils. I get these types of rashes once in a while, but never in both nostrils at the same time.

Coincidence or not?

3 Likes

My nose rash is a bit better, but I am definitely down with a cold. So is my wife for that matter. In fact, half my family is down with a cold, my sister, mother, nephew, so I guess it might be a coincidence after all.

Will see if my next dose reaction will be similar or not. Hopefully I will get better by them.

1 Like

Interesting. Most likely it’s just a cold virus, not rapamycin. Bad timing to take the first dose.

2 Likes

What dose regime did you start get the rashes and what did you do when you got it? Did you lower the dose, pause intake or continued taking rapa?

Just read up a bit and you will get your answer.

1 Like

1mg rapa with a tablespoon of olive oil after our oatmeal breakfast.

I found, thanks :pray:

@LaraPo in your vast experience, do you stop the treatment if you are down with a cold? I am debating if I should take my second dose, 2 mg today, since I haven’t recovered from last week cold yet.

Isoconazole works great on Rapa rashes if applied quickly.

1 Like

I do not stop Rapa if I have cold. On the other hand I don’t remember when I had cold last time - was too long ago. Not sure if it’s a good approach though. Rapa was considered as a repurposed drug for treating Covid at one point. Your dose is too small imo to worry.

1 Like

Ok, thank you for that. I will postpone it until tomorrow morning.