My prescription meds have caused some sickness?

What biomarkers are you guys recommending?

1 Like

I heard that Dr Green tells his rapa patients to keep antibiotics on hand for infections. I haven’t had any infections of any sort.

3 Likes

That is what all we heard. That is why it is difficult to be really objective about rapamycin. It was used for immunosuppression in transplant recipients and it has remained an “immunosuppressant” ever since. But most studies show that it actually improves immune function (even in healthy humans), but immunosuppressive reputation remains. Matt Kaeberlein said on multiple occasions it should be called immune modulator instead.

5 Likes

I’m not on a keto diet but rather on Mediterranean diet as I like it and it works for me. Further I’m not against statins for some people in some situations. Every medical intervention is a game of trade offs including statins. The link to the study discussing a role Ldl-c plays in this case of the Covid outcomes with the links to the other studies as well Cholesterol-lowering treatment may worsen the outcome of a Covid-19 infection. | The BMJ

1 Like

Hard to get excited about a study that uses the word “may” in the title.

4 Likes

documented in human studies as well. In a meta-analysis of 19 cohort studies including almost 70,000 deaths, Jacobs et al. found an inverse association between serum cholesterol and mortality from respiratory and gastrointestinal diseases, most of which are of an infectious origin (4).

It’s another (bad) association study with the typical U-curve mortality. As always, we have better evidence in the form of intervention trials which show that statins lower all cause mortality.

4 Likes

There is another meta analysis debating statins and overall impact on the cvd and all cause mortality. The finding is that overall benefits of statins are modest, may not be strongly mediated through reduction in Ldl-c. Perhaps this is due to off the target action of statins? Anyway may is used in the article again as the subject is very controversial. some people are getting on the bandwagon of ldl-c reduction as low as you can go but perhaps some caution should be exercised here as well? contro

3 Likes

The more important view IMO is not whether statins work or not (and I believe they are almost worthless in primary prevention strategies for a low risk individuals or may even cause harm) but something we all forget about, but has been proven in case of ASCVD and probably other areas as well, that most of damage accumulation happens before many people get interested in longevity, before midlife crisis. If your lifestyle choices were not pro longevity and for that matter LDL-C, BP, blood glucose were elevated trough your adult life up to age 50 you have a really poor chance of undoing this damage and living long healthy life.

The absence of established risk factors at 50 years of age is associated with very low lifetime risk for CVD and markedly longer survival. These results should promote efforts aimed at preventing development of risk factors in young individuals. Given the high lifetime risks and lower survival in those with intermediate or high risk factor burden at 50 years of age, these data may be useful in communicating risks and supporting intensive preventive therapy.

4 Likes

I believe they are certainly indicated for those with some ckd though right? I have low level kidney disease - IGA nepropathy. But yeah, I also follow attia/stanfield.

Also do the statins differ in the longevity regard? Novos isnt a fan of statin but thought simvastatin in particular extended mice lifespan which is why I choose this one The Anti-Aging Supplements David Sinclair Takes | 2023 Scientific Review.

and fluvastatin may hav a sirt 6 link

If they cause harm, how come they reduce all cause mortality in the trials?

If your lifestyle choices were not pro longevity and for that matter LDL-C, BP, blood glucose were elevated trough your adult life up to age 50 you have a really poor chance of undoing this damage and living long healthy life.

I agree on that at least. If you already have a high calcium score, chances are not even the most radical apoB lowering medication will protect you from heart disease.

There is some statistical reduction in ACM but it is very weak and by that you may need to read my sentence again, since I was mentioning just low risk individuals and primary prevention.

But at least we agree on something!

1 Like

low risk individuals and primary prevention.

I would argue the opposite. Statins lower all cause mortality better in those with moderate CVD risk than in patients at high risk.

Among those with moderate CKD, rosuvastatin was associated with a 45% reduction in risk of myocardial infarction, stroke, hospital stay for unstable angina, arterial revascularization, or confirmed cardiovascular death (HR: 0.55, 95% CI: 0.38 to 0.82, p = 0.002) and a 44% reduction in all-cause mortality (HR: 0.56, 95% CI: 0.37 to 0.85, p = 0.005).

Efficacy of rosuvastatin among men and women with moderate chronic kidney disease and elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein: a secondary analysis from the JUPITER (Justification for the Use of Statins in Prevention-an Intervention Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin) trial - PubMed (nih.gov)

The use of statins in this high-risk primary prevention setting was not associated with a statistically significant reduction (risk ratio, 0.91; 95% confidence interval, 0.83-1.01) in the risk of all-cause mortality. There was no statistical evidence of heterogeneity among studies (I 2 = 23%; 95% confidence interval, 0%-61% [P = .23]).

Statins and All-Cause Mortality in High-Risk Primary Prevention: A Meta-analysis of 11 Randomized Controlled Trials Involving 65 229 Participants | Cardiology | JAMA Internal Medicine | JAMA Network

Those results are in line with your “start early” approach. Once you’ve developed heart disease, diabetes etc. it’s hard an uphill battle for longevity even on radical interventions.

Bro, with respect, is that first study for those with chronic kidney disease? I agree that those of us who have light kidney disease should damn sure be on statins

melatonin 10 g?
This seems like an awful lot, do you mean mg?

As an addendum, I stopped the rapamycin for now two weeks after the rebound stuff came out, and have now gotten food poisoning again (traveling in second world Philippines), after two weeks of not taking it. Either the rebound is REAL, or I think its something else contributing.

It must be something else IMO.
Rebound means just that mTORC1 activity might go above baseline after you stop rapamycin and in theroy would just mean faster growing, aging and in a way more active immune system.

But just as a advice, if you are taking rapamycin it is wise to do baseline blood tests and compare it during the course of taking rapamycin that you can grasp a sense how rapamycin is affecting your biomarkers and immune system. That way it is far easier to spot something trending in the wrong direction because of rapamycin and not just doing the guess work.

4 Likes

I took the general blood tests while on rapa. The immune system such as the white blood cells were normal to the naked eye of my physician when asked how the stats looked in that area. Would they not be if I were truly immune compromised? But yes, I NEED to get my hands on tests to see how much rapa is in my system at a given time

There’s way too many confounders in an anecdote that it’s nearly impossible to know.

1 Like

I think you are trying to pin something non-Rapamycin related on Rapamycin. You may be able to make some connections (that may not be correct). The fact that you are still suffering from food poisoning two weeks after going off Rapamycin lead me to the following two possible conclusions:

1. Something you are eating is not good for you.
  2. Rapamycin improved your microbiome so much that it is revolting against street food. :wink:

In all seriousness, I’d try not eating street food for a bit to see if that solves the problem. It could be something in the drinking water, a box of leftovers not heated up properly, etc…

After stopping Rapamycin for 2 weeks, it should be cleared out of your system to the point where it is no longer affecting your physiology.

2 Likes