Multiple N=1 experimentation

John - just as people sharing information here already take out their name on their blood tests, etc. - the same could be done in this information sharing situation. Most people don’t use their real names here, and if you anonymize the data (though have it linked to a username) it would seem to address the privacy issue.

1 Like

However, some people (myself included) post using their user name and often you can work out who people are from their username as they use it in different locations. Obviously I post some of my values, but there are things I would not necessarily wish to post and that potentially causes problem in terms of collating data. I am pretty certain that would be the same for other people. Hence I do think this is an issue. (as is potentially compliance with GDPR and similar legislation).

A short term solution would be for anyone who does not wish their details published on the forum to email results to me and I could collate the public results and those which are emailed.

However, if volumes increase beyond the probable 5-6 people to start out with then it could get easily to a point at which the workload really requires some automation.

You could use this Google Forms: Online Form Creator | Google Workspace to create a form people can fill out, however I’d prefer to not enter for example age except in a range and just give you the data and whatever else is very pertinent.

I took bulk 4000IE tablets for a few months after a fatty meal and still didn’t get my levels the way I wanted them. I switched to a oil capsule from the pharmacy and now I get the levels I want. Don’t know if the tablets are underdosed of just malabsorbed…

1 Like

They are probably malabsorbed, I would guess. Interesting that eating with a fatty meal didn’t help.

I saw the same issue with coQ10 supplementation, I now dissolve the powder of the capsules in olive oil and get the values I am looking for

1 Like

Best to have a poll on this as to where to start. Over time things can change anyway. So

• Obtain data via people posting in a thread
  • Set up an online system for data using something like Google sheets or Google Forms

0 voters

So the vote is 6 for setting up google sheets and 1 for posting in a thread. On that basis I will look at sheets or something to do this. Logically there would be a thread for each experiment and if people wanted to post in that rather than using google sheets (or whatever) then I could probably pick up a bit of data that way.

It will now take a little bit of time whilst I sort this out.

2 Likes

Further to this I am aware I have not yet responded. I have a court case which will swallow up much of this week. My current thought is for the way things to work to be that each participant has a google sheet into which they put their data in a standard format and these are then merged to produce an analysis.

However, I don’t expect to be able to do anything about this for a few days.

2 Likes

Further on this I have started working up a google sheet that could be used for putting in individual data. This would then be in a standardised form which could be merged together. I am thinking of recording two days before taking the dose and three days afterwards. However, I thought it was best to put a link to the google spreadsheet that is my working document before finishing it off. At the moment I have only put in the two days before taking the dose because once we have all the data I would like to use cut and paste to put the rest in.

I would ask that people comment here rather than on the sheet itself even though people have commenting access to the sheet (well I think that’s the case).

2 Likes

Let us know when to start using it.

I want to wait for a few days for a comment. I also intend taking Rapamycin tomorrow and will use it to enter data for that dosing. I would rather wait a little while and make sure it is in a good usable format than rush things.

1 Like

Are you going to allow submission later on, in months etc?

We need to.learn from experience and discuss how best to do things.

I’m in for the Rapa heart rate data collection.

I also think it would be neat to know what technical advice that has been used for recording. Aura ring, Apple Watch etc… if this data set grows over time it might become relevant. (Some devices are known to be more, or less accurate)

Why not also fill out HRVs, while at it? Maybe mean value over per 24 would be a useful number?

Should we also report medicines that are known to affect HRV. Like stimulants, beta blockers etc… As long as these medicines are taken constantly, it shouldn’t pollute the data, but otherwise - maybe would be wise to leave that day/week out or at least make room for notes?

I also know that heavy exercise elevates HR and decreases HRV, same if I have an infection or drink more than 2 units of alcohol…

A lot of confounders when you start to think about it.

But if this data is collected over longer periods statistical power should get stronger. But if you never drink on rapa weeks, and always on the rapa vacation - the data will be heavily skewed…

I’ve got data for more than two months without rapa, but started taking Vyvanse during that time. I’ve been on the same dose for a month now and believe pulse and HRV have settled pretty much, so if I stay on that dose, the data should be worth something, if we were to compare one month of vs weekly doses for a month.

I know that Matt Kaeberlein handed out a survey here before. Maybe he would be interested in helping out with a protocol for data collection?

Or maybe I’m taking this far to seriously?

I’m in any way! :blush:

I am quite happy to put a HRV column in for each day. It is a difficult number as it varies quite widely between the systems people normally use to measure it.

If anyone wishes to chase Matt Kaeberlein then I would be interested in reading anything posted on Rapamycin.news but I personally am not going to ask anyone anywhere other than here.

It would be useful to have comments on HRV in or out.

You can try this but I don’t know if Matt will even see it, @mkaeberlein

1 Like
  • HRV - might as well record it whilst we are at it
  • HRV - this varies so much between systems it is not comparable and not worth recording.

0 voters

1 Like

Just need to have a column to say what brand tracker is recording the hrv (also for bp if it is done with a cuff or not (I know for a fact my fitness tracker is hopeless at accurate bp so all my data is with a cuff).