Most People Should Get A CAC Scan

Seemed like this response should be it’s own topic.

Comparing people with CAC of less than 100 Agatston score vs. greater than 100, the chances of death by heart attack go up 9,2 times. Seems like a cheap ($60) extremely predictive test to me. Yes, a score of zero doesn’t mean you’re risk free. The way Peter Attia himself was alerted to his possible non-zero CVD risk was by a CAC scan, as was I (537) and my older brother (1523). We both got extremely serious about lipid control after this test. Or you could wait until you first present with CVD symptoms. 30% of the time, that symptom will be death.

9 Likes

Or, you can pretend your score is high without looking.
Then take the appropriate measures.
Lose weight
Exercise
Take supplements and/or statins to lower your lipids.
We know lowering lipids reduces CVD risk

10 Likes

I’m scheduled to get one, but very hesitant bc of radiation I’m going to get. Is it worth it?

2 Likes

Spot on… no sense not knowing… can be a huge relief or a red flag.

Never even knew this was something to do until MAC on this site told me… outward appearances are not always accurate…“Look under the hood” .

And, although it can’t tell you everything… it is a pretty good marker if you are zero at an older age… not likely to have heart issues for 10-years.

I am anxious to get my 2 year repeat check next June 2024.

The radiation is greatly minimalized, so not really an issue for the average person.

Might try a deeper… dive test next time. Has been discussed on here too.

What results look like.

Typically checks lungs and for heart abnormalities.

4 Likes

It made a huge difference in my attitude. Scared me half to death. I assumed my score would be zero and it was like 285 or something. That’s when I went keto, lost 30 lbs and started taking Rapa. If you have the discipline without knowing then I suppose don’t do it, but seriously the radiation for a CAC is about like flying in an airplane or something. Very small.

Could take a large dose of melatonin before if you’re really worried. That helps.

6 Likes

Take a large amount of astaxanthin and DMSO on skin, both quench radiation.

Do a search on PubMed using “astaxanthin and radiation” and" DMSO and radiation"

Consider “Cleerly”, review;

3 Likes

Attia podcast about CAC and alternatives

This Attia podcast episode is relevant to this post. They discuss CAC and a recommended superior (bit more expensive) alternative.

4 Likes

Low radiation doses as low as 1 mSv have been reported for CAC scoring using prior generation scanners [10, 11]. Coronary calcium scoring has equivalent radiation exposure to mammography, and similar to the level of background radiation exposure experienced over 3–4 months in most cities. Worth it, imo.

3 Likes

Where did you get a Calcium score for only $60?

2 Likes

Anything that stopped radiation at the skin level would decrease the effectiveness of the test.

1 Like

And add nattokinase.

In this clinical study involving 1,062 participants, our objective was to examine the efficacy of NK in atherosclerosis and hyperlipidemia and safety at the dose of 10,800 FU/day after 12 months of oral administration. Various factors, including lower doses that influence NK pharmacological actions, were also investigated. We found that NK at a dose of 10,800 FU/day effectively managed the progression of atherosclerosis and hyperlipidemia with a significant improvement in the lipid profile. A significant reduction in the thickness of the carotid artery intima-media and the size of the carotid plaque was observed. The improvement rates ranged from 66.5 to 95.4%.

5 Likes

I took one a couple of years ago and mine was zero, which was a relief, but, I found out I have a small aortic aneurysm.
I’ve heard though that a better test is the one that can find soft plaque. I think if you’re really serious about trying to remain in good health then you should probably get as much testing as you can reasonably afford.

5 Likes

I guess I got an insurance-negotiated discount from a $151 retail price.

3 Likes

Yep… that’s it.

Next time will do a Cleerly coronary CT angiogram (CCTA). Deeper look!

4 Likes

Yes, I’m trying this too. 6 capsules/day = $0.66/day = 12,000 fu. Next CAC scan in 6 months. Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

zero is a pretty amazing score!

1 Like

wonder if there is population study in Japan, compare their CVD rate against North America for instance. The Japanese eat a lot natto.

2 Likes

And yeah… age 65 years… and to think my diet is… dinner after my workout (every other day almost 7 years) at least a pound of grilled steak, loaded potato, salad and whole milk.

5 Likes

I am trying to be vegan this week and I can’t think straight and can’t recall some of the common words, lol. After seeing David Sinclair’s new look for being a vegan, I will be eating eggs first thing in the morning.

4 Likes

“Can’t think straight” “recall” → subject to nocebo.
You’re way overestimating any negative or positive effects from a vegan diet. It’s not powerful in either direction. Just more of the same.

2 Likes