More Rapamycin Might Not Be Better

Interesting. I think from previous comments you’ve made that you are in extremely good physical shape and exercise a lot already. Have you noticed any effects, positive or negative, on athletic performance during your time on rapamycin?

3 Likes

Yes my FTP declined by about 3% probably due to the mild anaemia.

I’ve improved my dips (21) and pull ups (17) significantly… but that could be partially explained by the 5kg weight loss.

4 Likes

Sounds like the weight loss is a good benefit. I wonder if that is a major contributor to the longevity gained as mice on rapamycin are also lighter than the controls due to weight loss.

1 Like

Mine increased 4% (10W) since starting rapamycin, maybe could have been more if I hadn’t donated blood, that had a big impact (like - 25W) for around 6 weeks

2 Likes

Right but at 250w you were starting from a low base…

1 Like

Hi, Which functional tests do you recommend?

1 Like

Not low just average for a 48 y/o male WITH a power meter that is…and it’s progress

1 Like

I use a number. Sit to Rise (Stand), High Frequency Hearing, Speed of repair of venepuncture, ability to build muscle mass (number of reps probably helps people with this) and as biomarkers HbA1c, Creatinine, CRP.

Personally I think CRP (at its lowest level as otherwise it reports temporary infection) is one of the key markers.

3 Likes

Appreciate the update with your results. Does your health feel any different other than the ages tests showing the poor results? Any other markers go in the wrong direction?

Makes me wonder if grapefruit juice is a good idea at all. Even if you knew from testing how much it multiplied the dose and only took like 2 mg with grapefruit juice to get 6-8 mg effectively.

My weight started dropping a few pounds every week starting at the end of 3-months use. Choking stopped at 6 months and arthritis. Strength started to increase at 4 months and continues to increase every 3-4 months. By that 1st year all the improvements were noticeable to me.

9 Likes

I’m similar in this regard, life long athlete. My wife and I are both boston qualifiers. I’m not a good long distance runner but still well above average (I’m a fast twitch muscle guy), she’s an above average slow twitch muscle, long distance runner even when compared to college female athletes.

We’re having very different effects from rapamycin on fairly low dosage, but noticeable effects. More soreness from certain workouts and now that our systems have gotten a bit more use to rapamycin we’re starting to notice faster recovery times.

I would say that the majority of decline in performance from our 20s to 30s was due to slower recovery times from workouts. We couldn’t load our bodies as much so we declined in performance because we needed more recovery. We’re starting to anecdotally see faster recovery times after 2 and half months of weekly rapamycin.

She’s on 3mg a week with EVOO and I’m on 4mg a week with EVOO. We don’t do grapefruit juice because we’re scared of the side effects that some seem to have. Also, we very much so notice the effects of rapamycin on dosage day so why amp it up too much when we’re seeing our desired benefits.

I think this entire puzzle is going to be different for everyone. My wife and I are looking for quality of life improvements as well as longevity. We both agree that our exercise and our yearly routine is already providing the majority of desired benefits. If we can add rapamycin to our routine and get faster recovery times because it’s throwing our biological age back to our 20s, our quality of life improves greatly. We’ll also have a side benefit of doing quite well in our hobbies.

Last thing I want to add. Our bodies are responding very differently to rapamycin. I’m guessing it’s because everyone responds differently to medicine. My hypothesis is that it might have something to do with our genetics, me being more fast twitch muscle and her being more slow twitch muscle. She’s losing weight and getting more lean. I’m gaining muscle very easily right now even though I’m still running, historically even in my 20s when I put more miles on, I don’t gain muscle weight. If I lift at all right now, I seem to be gaining muscle mass.

12 Likes

How to measure surf of repair of venipuncture?

1 Like

Exactly! I am at the 3 month marker right now, and I am consistently losing a pound a week. I hope this continues for another 6 months!

3 Likes

I assume you mean speed of repair. I have weekly blood tests and have monitored the speed of repair of the needle hole with different biochemistry.

1 Like

“There will always be a statistical error, and TruMe labs claim that their studies show an error margin of 4.6 years.”

3 Likes

Agreed… but I am comparing 3 tests… so the range should be consistent. First two are reasonable. The third shows a bigger age jump that concerns me on the higher rapamycin dose. Same for GlycanAge. A huge jump … the tests should be consistent even within their error potential.

Will slow down on rapamycin – add Acarbose and retest in 7 months.

6 Likes

That’s a good point although the glycan age margin of error is only supposed to be +/-3 years according to their site What is your error margin? - GlycanAge . Wonder if that initial glycan age test result was some kind of fluke.

1 Like

The team seemed to be sure it was accurate (even though it surprised them) - looking to talk with them comparing the changes between the tests and getting their opinion in the next week or so.

1 Like

Did you receive a COVID booster any time between the two tests? I have heard the vaccine provides a temporary boost to your age on the epigenetic tests. You may also want to consider other factors that may have influenced your epigenetic age such as high stress events.

This is why I put so little faith in these tests.

2 Likes

" I am comparing 3 tests… so the range should be consistent"
I agree, considering the very large cohort databases the developers used you would think that there would be a better agreement. There is just too much evidence for me to dismiss them as irrelevant.
Here is a link to a good overview of three clocks.

4 Likes