Metformin for Periodontal Disease Prevention (research paper)

Repurposing Metformin for periodontal disease management as a form of oral-systemic preventive medicine, in non-diabetic (i.e. healthy people) !

…metformin in vivo provided an effective preventive effect on the pathogenesis of the periodontal disease establishment and progression.”

Conclusion

This is the first study to demonstrate that systemic interventions using Metformin in non-diabetic individuals aimed at PD prevention have oral-systemic effects constituting a possible novel form of preventive medicine for oral-systemic disease management.

Open Access Paper:

6 Likes

If someone has gum disease they should try sucking a melatonin pill (in the middle of the night). So that the melatonin spreads around the mouth and can be absorbed by the gums.

4 Likes

Just what I was wondering. Metformin mouthwash or toothpaste?

1 Like

I’m thinking of adding it to my rapamycin toothpaste! DIY Rapamycin Toothpaste and Flossing Paste

3 Likes

I googled your trick there, I never knew the effect on Melatonin and gum, I wish I knew earlier. This site is just awesome, I literally learn something new every single day. Love it.

3 Likes

I found it unintentionally. Suddenly I found my gums had massively improved (on visiting the dental hygienist) and it took some trial and error to work out what was happening. I found that if the night before I has used melatonin sublingually the gum inflammation dropped massively. In fact it was linked to the days I used it to the extent that you could see the difference in the gums. Hence I try to take some every day even if I sleep perfectly well.

It is, however, important to time melatonin use properly (not before you go to sleep) and if you swallow it there will not be a high enough concentration to fix the gum inflammation.

2 Likes

what are the dose for nightly melatonin use?

One of the reasons I use melatonin is to increase sleep. Hence the amount I take is influenced by when I wake and where I am in a sleep cycle. What I try to do is to ensure that the serum quantity of melatonin is either static or increasing when I switch from the first cycle that I am awake for into the second. That will then deliver an additional hour or twos sleep.

Last night, for example, I had 5 hours 12 minutes of sleep which did not involve exogenous melatonin. I then took some timed about every 10 or 15 minutes after about half an hour of waking.

This does not always work as exactly planned. I don’t think my dosing figures are much use to guide anyone else.

I have more recently concluded that it is possible that higher levels of melatonin drive higher levels of SHBG. I have only tested that once (remembering I have weekly blood tests) and the result was compatibile with the hypothesis.

Sometimes I will take a smallish (say 10-24 mg) amount of melatonin just after waking and not go back to sleep. However, I think this is a molecule that people need to develop their own experience with.

1 Like

Does anyone want to take a guess at what concentration of metformin to use for a mouthwash ?

I would treat it like a “topical formulation” - so something in the range of 0.05%, or 0.1% to 1.0%. This is what I typically see for rapamycin topical formulations.

Thank you for that.
I think I may try 1% since metformin isn’t all that potent, and it’s only a mouthwash that I will be putting out after swishing around my mouth.
I’ll report back on how I go on

1 Like

I’ve just made up a 1% w/v metformin mouthwash. It has an amine taste (fishy) but not totally repellent. As for results, I’ll have to see what the dentist says at my next checkup.

I made it up as a simple solution as metformin can act as a buffer in solution and didn’t want it interfering with my sodium bicarbonate mouthwash.