Measuring and Reversing Biological Age The EGYM versus The Longevity Lunatic Fringe

The link below is the posting from 03/18/2023

The Seskeptical Cardiologist.

I thank member rivasp12 again for the lead pointing to these posting.

“Folks, no actionable information on your health is derived from HRV!”
I had already reached my layman’s conclusion that it was totally unreliable because it varied so widely as regards time taken etc.

1 Like

My HRV tells me i should not binge drink. That arguably is actionable information. (Or inactional information)

3 Likes

Heart Rate Recovery (HRR) vs Heart Rate Variability (HRV)

“The Skeptical Cardiologist” Thinks HRR is superior to HRV in determining future mortality.
I agree because the HRV test is so variable, much more so than my recovery time to a given heart rate.

I have been using my heart rate recovery when doing short HIT workouts at the gym to determine when I was good to go for another one. The studies are for treadmill tests however and because of my ankle that would be pretty hard for me to do. Though I am not sure why the treadmill would be a better test in determining the recovery time from a given heart rate.

“Heart Rate Recovery: A Simple and Powerful Predictor of Mortality”

https://www.jacc.org/doi/epdf/10.1016/S0735-1097(01)01652-7

Here is a link to his site. He has lots of information about various medical devices such as fitness, heart rate monitors, wearable blood pressure monitors, etc.

2 Likes

This is a topic (HRV) I’ve recently become quite interested in. The reason is that a recently published study shows that breathwork affects HRV, which in turn increases the efficiency of the brain to remove amyloid and tau proteins from the brain thus reducing the risk of Alzheimers.

Modulating heart rate oscillation affects plasma amyloid beta and tau levels in younger and older adults | Scientific Reports (nature.com)

I record my HRV from fitbit (sleeping) and Polar H10/Elite (awake lying in bed) each morning. I am not sure it is something to concentrate on as a target. There are always dangers with targets in that if you focus on an individual measure it potentially has less vaklue.

Breathwork (meditation), however, is a good mechanism for bringing the HPA axis under conscious control.

That can reduce heart rate, reduce cortisol and generally be a good thing. However, I am not persuaded that HRV is the key measure. Definitely look at blood pressure and resting heart rate.

This might be different for someone who does not drink any alcohol ever. I am, however, at the moment having a party day (which is not the same as a drinking day, but has the same effect).

2 Likes

You are probably right, but I want my HRV to be that of a 25-year old :joy:

As you can see in the graphs in the link below, HRV declines as we age (and if the above study is to be believed, with that decline in HRV so does our efficiency at removing amyloid and tau):

Normative HRV Scores by Age and Gender [Heart Rate Variability Chart] (elitehrv.com)

2 Likes

My HRV (when awake and not after a major bender) is around 55-65ms which on elite is about 45-50 years old. Given that I am 63 I am not complaining.

I am not sure HRV itself is causative of efficiency in removing amyloid and tau. I think they are both symptoms of problems with protein production and specifically when looking at the brain, a shortage of melatonin. Hence I chug melatonin and I try to fix the protein production.

I also chug alcohol from time to time (eg today), but that is not good for health. Although the consequential serum acetate has its merits. It is more fun than triacetin.

Incidentally when it comes to melatonin timing is very very important.

1 Like

Alcohol is meant to have many benefits (e.g. cardiovascular and there is some mTOR regulation), but I am off it now as I took it too far (a bottle of whiskey became my ‘glass of wine’…) so only really drink when on holiday :slight_smile:

3 Likes