Matt Kaberlein has allergic reaction using antibiotic while on rapamycin

It looks like a mice or mechanistic study. I am a human outcomes boi. You’d need a human outcomes study in a clinical trial to prove that rapamycin is beneficial for infection to me.

QOD - every other day,

1 Like

That’s a new one. I suppose you’d take a very low dose like 1-2mg every other day. Of course Rapa would be >0 for as long as you took it. No doubt your AUC would be much higher than mine given my ~12mg once every 14 days but my peak rapa would be much higher than yours. Why do you think a continual low suppression of mTOR is preferable to a larger, brief mTOR suppression? I wonder what I am missing?

4 Likes

That is my rationale aswell. High rapa doses better suppress mTOR which leads to higher autophagy rates.

2 Likes

With a very low dose QOD do we even get to a therapeutic level? If we do, which I doubt, is there continual MTORC1 (and also C2) inhibition, and if so, is there more risk of sarcopenia and true immunosuppression?
I don’t know the answer to that.
I know in one of my patients who is up to 8 mg at a time, the level at 24 hours was just barely therapeutic (just over 3, where therapeutic is 3-18) - so even with that dosing, you’d only be in the therapeutic range for max 30 hours, at least per current thoughts on therapeutic ranges.
I’d be pretty confident in that patient, if I did 1 mg QOD they’d never get anywhere into the therapeutic range.
Anyway, it’s a gamble as to one’s perspective and theories - but we are in a no-definitive evidence zone here.
I personally think a goal of ~30% of the time under some MTORC1 inhibition then 70% of the time in recovery would be one approach - which in the aforementioned example, I suspect will end up with a dose of something like 11-12 mg q7 days to achieve that.
There are also folks who want a high level and theorize to get maximal BBB penetrance that going for a higher peak level, and then longer intervals might be preferential. I suspect this might look like 20 mg in this individual, but then dosing q10-14 days, based on individual pharmacokinetics.
All this is based upon one’s approach and what they think might be the secret sauce in the dosing and activity and how one should address inhibition of MTORC1 and C2.

6 Likes

You can measure mTORC1

@Joseph Did you ever figure out cost and process to do that?

If you review the original posting, and paper the test procedure and methods are in the paper.

All items are off the shelf.

You have to locate a PET scanning facility and a medical doctor will to write a prescription.

This is non-standard testing, such as you would pay, not billable to insurance.

Thanks Joseph. Given that PET is invoiced I’ll skip, but thanks.

I laid out my rationale in the post above.
In the Flu titer response study above a they had similar results with 0.5 mg daily dosing and weekly dosing.

So what makes you think that weekly is superior over daily ?

Read the full study and get back to me. Maybe I missed something.

2 Likes

FWIW he was on a daily low dose, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off per this tweet:

4 Likes

Well the researchers reached their endpoints by using rapa 0.5 mg daily at 3.5 mg/week, results on par with weekly dosing. So what makes you question the effectiveness of the “low” dose.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/scitranslmed.3009892

3 Likes

@Dr.Bart I think it boils down to this (from your references paper):

(1) inhibit cell growth vs. (2) improve cell function while maintaining proliferative potential and preventing senescence

I cannot say that weekly (or biweekly) is better than daily (or EOD). That is beyond my understanding, so I cling to the devil I know, until convinced to shift

Reasons to do weekly / biweekly (higher doses with an effort to clear rapa to zero as quickly as possible)

• it’s what most scientists do
  • it’s what I have done and know the observable effects
  • it’s like periodic fasting vs chronic CR
  • perhaps it allows a higher dose to penetrate the BBB without suppression of mTORC2
  • can use this approach without a rapa holiday (but many still take holidays)

Reason to do daily / EOD (low dose with long cycles of on/off rapa)

• a few scientists do this
  • a focus on preventing senescent cells from proliferating and/or creating high inflammation (via SASP)
  • perhaps eliminate the acute side effects related to fatigue or other higher rapa doses
  • perhaps avoid mTORC2 suppression by staying very low in mTOC1 suppression even if for longer time periods
  • perhaps avoid the theoretical “rebound” effect on mTORC1

Due to a lack of education on these many topics I am left to (1) watch the behavior of people smarter than me whose incentives / motivations are not contrary to my own and (2) develop mental models which simplify the variables into systems of thought that I can understand (with a danger of being overly reductionist).

For me, I think the choice is similar to choosing between the periodic calorie and/or protein fasting approach or the continual calorie / protein minimization approach.

I think that using rapa to help me create cycles of high vs low mTOR will give me what I want. What I want is to remain youthful in my physical and mental abilities while improving my ability to recover from daily stress and periodic hard physical work.

My situation is important in this decision: I am already a very healthy person with low hsCRP, high muscle mass, and good body composition. My issues are managing stress and keeping blood sugar and apoB down.

A person with a high burden of senescent cells (high inflammation) might have a different priority.

What do you think?

7 Likes

That’s a lot hypotheses and assumptions. Ask any one of these scientists and they will agree.

I am glad is working for you, I am simply pointing out the dosing and frequency is still far from being set.

Hopefully the RAPID trail will address that. I asked them for a methodology and this the email I got back.

Hi Bart,

Thank you for your interest. We are evaluating multiple doses and frequencies of rapamycin and its impact on periodontal disease. We’re currently under an IND and will be unable to share anything specific until publication.

We intend to provide the general community updates as we proceed along the trial.

Thanks,

UW RAPID Trial Team

Seattle, WA

www.rapamycintrial.com

Dr. Stanfield unfortunately is too limited on funds to run a third arm of dosing. His is weekly dosing - rapa vs placebo.

4 Likes

I think a person’s pathology is a big determinant. If you are super healthy, then perhaps a weekly dose as it is with Peter Attia. If you have a low-grade chronic condition, then perhaps a daily low dose won’t hurt, perhaps even help, as the mice study from Germany (2024) concluded. The weekly dose is better vs the daily low dose (both with break) was never repeated after Joan B. Mannick, isn’t it?

3 Likes

…Joan B. Mannick ?

1 Like

Yes sorry. In my mind, I call her Joannick :grinning:

2 Likes

Joseph,

I think your logic is very sensible.

The problem is a low evidence zone here. The article on the 3.5 mg/week has to do with improved immune function as I recall. That is certainly important, but does that come at a different dose and much lower mTOR inhibition than slowing aging?

I don’t know the answer to this.

However, for myself, and the patients whom I advise, I presently am heading toward periods of mTOR inhibition and recovery, and repeat. What ratio of time in inhibition vs. recovery and even how one defines that, and on what basis is a challenge.

I have my approach to this based on logic, but no proof of outcomes. We know it is safe, and my sense is longer term regular daily or every other day dosing is more likely to hit mTORC2 which we really don’t want.

I’m pretty content with my present approach, and in a low evidence zone, it’s in the middle area of those willing to enter.

Myself, I take 8 mg every 8 days. If I’m alive and mentally sharp 50 years from now, I’ll consider it a good call. If I get septic 2 days after a dose and that is my demise … then maybe not the best call.

The more I learn (and I have 4 board certifications) the more I realize how much more there is to learn and how little certainty there is. I used to be much more certain of things 25 years ago.

8 Likes

Joseph,
I love the reference and wish I had that ability. It would be brilliant to be able to track degree of inhibition in patients, as knowing this, regardless of how someone got there (drugs, fasting, supplements) and tracking mTORC1 and C2 activity and looking at that versus disease/longevity would be amazing.

One day this will have to be done - some pharma company will make a fortune, as they’ll find some proprietary agent better or different than rapamycin to accomplish the outcome.

4 Likes

What evidence are you basing this strategy on?
Rapamycin selectively inhibits mTORC1 and doesn’t directly affect mTORC2 (as I’ve shared some papers on this topic before). It’s important to note that rapamycin doesn’t act as a simple on/off switch for mTOR. Animal models have consistently shown that chronic rapamycin treatment leads to improved median and maximum lifespan, with higher doses proving more effective than lower ones. Additionally, there’s a possibility of mTOR rebound effect with large intermittent doses, where mTOR activity can temporarily rise above baseline levels after rapamycin clearance. Both animal and human studies have demonstrated enhanced immune function with rapamycin treatment. Considering the hyperfunction theory of aging (which provides a compelling explanation for the aging process), it’s challenging to argue that weekly intermittent dosing is superior. While intermittent dosing may effectively induce autophagy due to the larger doses administered, rapamycin is rapidly metabolized within hours, and its concentration typically decreases below therapeutic levels after 24 hours, despite its long half-life. Thus, it’s questionable whether a few hours of stronger inhibition would significantly impact outcomes. Fasting studies have shown that sustained mTOR inhibition is necessary to stimulate autophagy. Is your perspective on this matter different?

3 Likes