Massage - health and longevity benefits?

A few years ago I started getting massages, primarily because my employer benefits cover about one per month. Subjectively, the feeling of getting a massage is quite nice, but do you think there is any value to including massage as part of one’s routine and overall health/longevity protocol?

Perhaps one of the challenges here is how often a person can realistically get a massage. I’m guessing that for most people, it probably falls within the category of about once per month.

If someone has something specific for the massage therapist to address (i.e. injury recovery, post triathlon, etc) I can imagine it being of particular value. But for someone who is generally “healthy/well,” I also wonder if it makes much of a difference.

Perhaps it reduces cortisol, increases parasympathetic activity, increases oxytocin, and so forth.

Regardless of whether there is a true benefit or not, I’ll probably continue to get them since they are essentially free of charge. Though if I had to pay out of pocket, I think the money would probably be better spent elsewhere.

The host of the “Longevity World Cup,” Adam Ficsor, is pretty big on massage.

What does everyone think about massage?

3 Likes

Never had it done by a professional (except therapeutically after an injury). But it’s possible there may also be some benefits for the lymphatic system, mimicking some aspects of exercise, but you’d have to have it done regularly to maintain the effects, and ultimately I’m not sure the effect size would be large enough to meaningfully impact health. But I can’t say I’ve come across robust studies showing measurable effects of massage on generally healthy people. I suppose it can’t hurt - unlike chiropractic manipulation (which I personally would never subject myself to - scary as hell, though obviously many swear by them).

1 Like

Good points here - I would also never go near a chiropractor… but that’s just me. I’m a little surprised there isn’t more data on massage. When I do some searching it appears there hasn’t been a ton of research here. But then again, I guess who is going to fund it?