Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN)

Wow, Naltrexone is used for so many things. Are you saying that EVERY positive research study on it is placebo? And what about using it at full dose, Sinclair method etc.? After using it to stop drinking I am no longer an alcoholic but still drink a glass of wine or two every now and then, I recently even experimented with drinking a glass of wine every day for reasons I won’r get into here regarding my health. Even without taking the Naltrexone before drinking, after a week or so I couldn’t continue as TBH I just couldn’t be bothered with wine anymore. How could that be possible just through placebo after me previously being an alcoholic most of my adult life? I am not a big believer in anything faith based.

2 Likes

FWIW

Review the following, many published peer reviewed papers

For me, I take 4.5mg compound capsules and it does work controlling pain in both my keen and lower legs.

When I do not that it the pain starts to come back, and IT IS NOT PLACEBO.

Member dan_hayes has not idea what he posted about LDN.

HI thanks for the reply.
I am using 1mg at night now. I have a number of health issues that have become an issue for me like some gut issues and a number of joint pain issued from many years of professional sport.

My gut issues get worse every year and nothing is really helping so I hope this does.

I am using it also for anti aging to promote autophagy also:

Endorphins are polypeptides made by the pituitary gland and central nervous system to moderate the production of neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and dopamine. Endorphins primarily help us to reduce pain and inflammation, promote autophagy, and cellular clean up.

For those of you using Naltrexone LDN:

While I was on my temporary hiatus from rapamycin. I bought some Naltrexone LDN 4.5mg tablets to try. I noticed it seemed to curb my appetite Today after taking 4.5mg tablets for about 6 weeks I foolishly upped today’s dose to 18 mg to see what effect it would have on my appetite. This is still well below the single dose, 50mg tablets given to those trying to get off of alcohol or opioid use. To be honest I did not expect any side effects from a single dose of 18mg.
I was wrong, very wrong. It did affect my appetite I felt full after just a few bites and after dinner, I felt quite nauseous, not throwing up nauseous, but certainly hangover nauseous.
Unfortunately, the half-life is not short: "Naltrexone has a half-life of 3.9-10.3 hours and a slow terminal elimination-phase half-life of 96 hours.’
“Side effects may include trouble sleeping, anxiety, nausea, and headaches”

“Oh, mother, tell your children not do what I have done” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

dazz, I tried LDN at 1.5 mg nightly (bedtime) for two weeks without noticing anything. Then, I increased the dose to 3 mg nightly. The following day after the nightly dose of 3 mg left me subdued with low mood and low energy. I tried backing the nightly dose up to 7:00 pm instead of 10:00 pm, but there was still that daytime subdued mood and low energy. In addition, it did not help with my sleep at all which is why I tried it in the first place. So, I stopped after a couple of weeks of the 3 mg dose. Why would I try a standard dose of 4.5 mg nightly if a dose of 3 mg was causing bad side effects. Of course, if it had given me some substantial sleep improvement I may have continued using it.

2 Likes

Just ordered 4.5 LDN pd $87 for 200 = $.435/ includes wise.com fee and shipping.

1 Like

This new research is just in nematodes, so I don’t put a high value on it yet (waiting for the mouse trials), but it looks interesting…

Low-dose Naltrexone (LDN) extends healthspan and lifespan through activation of the transcription factor SKN-1/NRF2 in C. elegans

Aging is a topic of urgency and importance, particularly as the world’s aging population continues to grow. Numerous studies have been conducted to identify potential interventions that can improve health and promote longevity, however few are close to implementation. One promising approach to accelerate the implementation is drug repurposing, or using existing drugs for new indications. Here, we selected naltrexone by repurposing existing drugs from the Library of Integrated Network-based Cellular Signatures (LINCS) with several selection criteria. In recent decades, there has been increasing attention and use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as an adjunct treatment modality for cancers, autoimmune diseases, chronic pain and mental health issues. We found that a low, but not high dose of naltrexone extended both healthspan and lifespan in C. elegans worms. Further analysis revealed that LDN treatment-induced longevity was dependent on SKN-1 (NRF2 in mammals) signaling. Moreover, LDN treatment not only increased the expression of innate immune genes but also activated the oxidative stress response in worms, which could be abolished by inhibition of SKN-1/NRF2. Overall, paired with LDN’s low side effects profile, our study highlights the great potential of LDN to be repurposed as a geroprotector for promoting healthy aging and suggests further research in humans is warranted.

Open Access Paper:

2 Likes

I have been prescribed LDN by my GP. Initially at 1.5mg which i took for couple of weeks but then i started to feel low energy the next day. She then prescribed 0.5mg which i am taking now (on and off) but i don’t feel anything. For some people it seems to really work well.

I discontinued using LDN after a few weeks. The research at this time is not compelling enough for me to add still another “life” extender to my already overblown stack.

4 Likes

I take it back. :blush: I really don’t know why I was such a naysayer other than trying to keep my stack of daily supplements at reasonable number.

I now think it may be wise to include it in my list of daily supplements. It wasn’t the anti-cancer properties that made me change my mind.

So, the other day I noticed that I still had a lot of LDN on hand and decided since I had it I might as well finish off my supply. LDN is supposed to help with sleep. I don’t currently have any sleep problems or a sleep stack other than melatonin, magnesium, and l-tryptophan. So I took a dose right before bedtime and this morning I really felt better than usual and felt more ambitious than usual. Today I have done more than my usual amount of exercise and chores. LDN just made me more motivated. Is this just a one-night stand? :laughing: I don’t know but I am going to keep on taking it because of the positive effects it has on energy and also because of its anti-cancer properties.

It is also an anti-inflammatory which I think is a particularly good thing. Naloxone also suppresses the production of IL-6. “Levels of circulating IL-6 are elevated in several inflammatory diseases including RA (as mentioned above), systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriasis and Crohn’s disease”

If you Google LDN on Google Scholar you will see the enormous interest in LDN

“Low-dose naltrexone (LDN): A promising treatment in immune-related diseases and cancer therapy”

2 Likes

Have you tried homemade kefir or water kefir for your gut issues? It has helped tremendously with mine.

I think I’m following the logic of your method. I have read a few things now on the Sinclair Method as well. So tell me if I have this right.
I want to make a habit of taking cold showers in the morning. I am not having great luck with that currently. If I apply the method you described, I take LDN before bed. I get up and take the cold shower (which should on its own increase dopamine) and because I did this after the reset, the naltrexone helps me to really feel the effect and seek the dopamine hit again. Pretty soon I look forward to ice cold showers at 4:30 in the morning.
Lather rinse repeat with habits I want to form? Mornings are the best time to get addicted to new behaviors?

1 Like

Sounds worth a try for sure. Anytime of the day for new habits is fine. I would just work on making the cold shower as enjoyable as possible from the start. Get some Wim Hoff motivation. For example when I started at the gym I got headphones and listen to my favourite music and made sure to have fun. Within a year that habit had grown to where the pain of sets to failure is my fun now. It has been a journey and I always try to follow my joy :slight_smile:

1 Like

This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man  The Big Lebowski

4 Likes

I took LDN for a couple of years for joint pain due to Lyme disease and maybe PsA, or maybe persistent Lyme. Started at 2.5mg and went up to 4.5. It exacerbated my insomnia so I took it in the morning. After a year+ it didn’t seem to be doing much so I did some research and lowered my dose to 2.5. Then I stopped altogether for a few months. When I restarted at 2.5, it just knocked me out during the day - groggy, sleepy - which was unproductive, and yet still kept me up at night. I’ve stopped LDN again as I’m getting ready to start Rapa and want to track that experience. So, it’s an interesting drug that works really well for some but not all.

4 Likes

Yes it gives me insomnia for awhile when I first start on it but then after a while my sleep actually improves. I also find the taste in my mouth seems part of the insomnia so I usually have a small piece of cheese after taking it :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s been almost a year since this discussion started. How many of you are still taking LDN? If so, what are the benefits ? If you stopped, why?

2 Likes

Been taking it for 8 months now. Results:

• far better sleep - wake one time per night (bathroom) vs 5-6
  • reduced inflammation - cRP and PSA have both come down
  • reduced used use of pain killers - no longer take tylenol which I took like candy prior
7 Likes

This just in:
Endorphins and Anti-Inflammation: A Review of Low-Dose Naltrexone’s (LDN) Potential in Extending Healthspan and Treating Chronic Diseases

As longevity science uncovers surprising connections between seemingly unrelated drugs and health outcomes, the curious case of Low-Dose Naltrexone (LDN) has captured researchers’ attention. Originally designed as a treatment for addiction, LDN’s impact on our biological systems has revealed unexpected benefits in modulating the immune response and fighting chronic inflammatory diseases. Through subtle increases in endorphin production and a cascade of anti-inflammatory responses, LDN presents an intriguing opportunity for enhancing overall well-being. In this article, we explore the multifaceted potential of LDN in extending healthspan, delve deeper into its proposed mechanisms of action, and examine its therapeutic applications in conditions like Multiple Sclerosis, Fibromyalgia, and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)—highlighting an unlikely candidate turned powerful ally in the pursuit of longevity and health.

2 Likes

Paul, Your results sound great. They make me want to try LDN again. Do you mind telling me at what dose you started and what dose you now use, as well as what time of the day you take it? Thanks.

1 Like