Longevity leaders who take Rapamycin

Two things: the video is why TSLA is up today, and more importantly I want to know what Ron Baron’s is on as he sure looks great for an 81 yr old:

@RapAdmin any ideas?

IMO: Most people are overly worried about the slightly increased glucose levels associated with taking rapamycin.

Once again we see the ubiquitous J or U-shaped curve associated with HbA1c levels.

My takeaway from this is that there may be some benefit from a lower HbA1c but there is little actual risk from a little higher HbA1c.

The study included 3,154 critically ill patients without diabetes who had HbA1c measurements in the database.

"1-year mortality, while levels between 5.0% and 6.5% of HbA1c did not significantly affect these outcomes.’

“Spline models revealed a U-shaped association, with lowest risk at HbA1c levels 5.4-5.6% (36-38 mmol/mol) and a significantly increased risk at ≤5.0% (≤31 mmol/mol) and ≥6.4% (≥46 mmol/mol).”

The association between hemoglobin A1c and all-cause mortality in the ICU: A cross-section study based on MIMIC-IV 2.0 - PMC

Association Between Hemoglobin A1c and All-Cause Mortality: Results of the Mortality Follow-up of the German National Health Interview and Examination Survey 1998 | Diabetes Care | American Diabetes Association

The HbA1c and All-Cause Mortality Relationship in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes is J-Shaped: A Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies - PMC

Of course, we do not have as yet any studies indicating any increased risk of diabetes in non-kidney transplant healthy people. However, we do have studies indicating that there was not an increased risk in kidney transplant patients who were taking higher continuous doses than members of the forum are taking.

“The systematic review and meta-analysis provided in the context does not provide evidence that converting to rapamycin increases the risk of new onset diabetes after kidney transplantation. The study compared rapamycin to calcineurin inhibitors and found no difference in diabetes risk between the two groups. More research may be needed specifically examining the diabetes risk of rapamycin compared to placebo or no treatment.”

Conversion From Calcineurin Inhibitors to Mammalian Target of Rapamycin Inhibitors in Kidney Transplant Recipients: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials - PMC

2 Likes

I’d guess his stack includes a sunlamp or he lives on a boat. I’m jealous!

1 Like

Charles, it seems to be that these are associations studies and diseases like cancer push HbA1c down and hence contribute to correlation between low HbA1c and mortality even if the causation is cancer => low mortality AND low HbA1c

and not low HbA1c => Cancer and Low mortality

See eg here

3 Likes