Longevity Diet - New Research

And maybe , in terms of life extension, there’s something to this idea of just eating during the day and stopping in the evening. Thirty five percent is alot!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Case in point: my buddy got a personal trainer who also pushes high protein consumption. I told him protein accelerates aging. He said:“Yeah , my personal trainer is 30 , but he looks like he is 40 at least!” Buff and cut, yes. But at an obvious cost!

1 Like

Why is fat worse? No insulin response, no mTOR response.

1 Like

I tried acarbose for a while. Didn’t seem like it was something one should do. Just felt weird in my stomach. Decided to just don’t go crazy on carbs instead.

Canagliflozin is much easier in the GI tract.

Thanks for sharing the link to the interesting talk by Dudley Lamming. At the 5:00 minute mark, he states, “Restricting isoleucine is necessary and sufficient for the effects of protein restriction.” … “In fact leucine restriction may be slightly detrimental.”

At the 11:00 minute mark, he states that higher isoleucine intake in humans is associated with higher BMI. He shows a graph from a paper at the 11:40 minute mark…look at Leucine…higher levels were associated with a lower all-cause mortality risk (HR = 0.82).

From that research paper: “For the total lipids in chylomicrons and extremely large VLDL and small high-density lipoprotein (HDL), the mean diameter for VLDL particles, the ratio of polyunsaturated fatty acids to total fatty acids, and the concentrations of histidine, leucine, valine, and albumin a higher level is associated with decreased mortality, while for the concentrations of glucose, lactate, isoleucine, phenylalanine, acetoacetate, and GlycA the opposite applies.”

Here’s a link to the full text of the paper:

A metabolic profile of all-cause mortality risk identified in an observational study of 44,168 individuals

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-11311-9#MOESM1

1 Like

Yeah I’m trying to take this these into consideration when it comes to optimizing the cycling of mTOR activation (for muscle growth, sufficient short-term immune function) and mTOR inhibition (for autophagy, lipolysis, long-term immune function, and all other things longevity).

On a monthly scale, regular FMDs OR fasting protocols are one way to do this. Perhaps FMDs can then be low carb, low protein (and especially low isoluecine and methionine and histidine – I think vegan diets may help here).

On a shorter time scale, perhaps diets with low isoluecine + methionine + some berberine/metformin on inactive & sedentary days.

1 Like

Is there a way to direct a question at Dr. Blagosklonny? At times he seems to be responding to people on twitter. Though, if a question about optimal diet is directed to him, from what I have read thus far, I think he will answer that his concerns are high simple carb limitation and general calorie control (ie weight control). Still, it would be valuable to get his opinion. I don’t know if this site would even exist if it were not for his work.

I can’t speak for him, but I get a feeling that he thinks these are not relevant or important questions if one is taking (sufficiently high doses of) rapamycin regularly. The logic being that any harms of mtor activation through protein would be attenuated via rapamycin, and we may not want to skimp on essential amino acids. He does seem to however still support low-carb diets; perhaps the belief here is that carbohydrates and insulin spikes contribute more to mTOR activation via AMPK than proteins.

While all of these may be true, I think it’s still good to seek deeper understanding of what’s at play so that we can if possible, further optimize our approaches to longevity, and so that we can use different interventions in different situations than be constrained to just use rapamycin (despite my love for it). Given that Blagosklonny has proposed anti-aging cocktails, I believe he’d think so too, but just not so much about dietary protein.

3 Likes

This mirrors my thinking perfectly.

1 Like

Maybe we’ve been focusing far too much on the composition of diet- in large part because weight loss is the goal.
Maybe just eat generally less and eat according to a circadian rhythm while awake and active during the day. Stop eating later in the day when you get more sedentary. Don’t worry so much about counting grams of protein, fat, and carbs.
Limit the sugars and processed foods.
The circadian rhythm of diet may be as important as that of wakefulness and sleep.

5 Likes

Recent article on Intermittent Fasting and cancer risk:

1 Like

Protein is complicated. Yes, it signals abundance, which shifts away from maintenance and towards proliferation. But it also preserves muscle mass, and given how big a risk factor frailty becomes as you age that’s a very significant counterweight.

Related to this discussion of protein:

It has long been known that reducing the amount you eat improves health and extends lifespan, and there has been increasing interest in the possibility that reducing protein or amino acid intake contributes to this beneficial effect. Several recent studies suggest that diets that are low in protein, but not so low that they produce malnutrition, can improve health. Conversely, overconsumption of high-protein diets has been linked to increased mortality in certain age groups.

A few years ago, Pennington Biomedical’s Neurosignaling Laboratory discovered that the metabolic hormone FGF21 was a key signal linking the body to the brain during protein restriction. Without this signal, young mice failed to change their feeding behavior or metabolism when placed on a low-protein diet.

“Our data suggest that FGF21 talks to the brain, and that without this signal the mouse doesn’t ‘know’ that it is eating a low-protein diet. As a result, the mouse fails to adaptively change its metabolism or feeding behavior,” said Christopher Morrison, Ph.D., Professor and Director of the Neurosignaling Lab.

Full Reference Paper:

FGF21 is required for protein restriction to extend lifespan and improve metabolic health in male mice

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29499-8

4 Likes

The circadian rhythm of diet may be as important as that of wakefulness and sleep.

I know you’re right, but this has been the single hardest lifestyle change for me to make. I usually train 7pm to 9pm, get home 9:30pm, make dinner, and eat between 10pm and 11pm. Bed at midnight.

There’s yet another trade-off here: circadian diet benefits vs protein after exercise for muscle growth/maintenance. I don’t know which benefit is stronger, probably circadian diet, but I’m also starving after exercise.

I believe Longo proposes that those over 65 should consider a more moderate protein in diet to prevent the age related danger of lower protein. Yet in younger years when theres no risk you want to keep the pathway inhibited.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s indeed a challenge, but I can’t help but be impressed by the 35% life extension, although reducing calories was certainly part of it.
BTW, your exercise regimen is excellent.

Here’s how I’ve adjusted:
Breakfast is a mixture of nuts. My 3-4 cups of coffee contains as many anti inflammatory agents as possible including 100% cacao, cloves, cinnamon, ginger,lithium drops, boswellia drops, pine bark powder, gotu kola and IP6.
Lunch is protein time with an entire can of salmon mixed with artichokes. I eat this in between patients. Various fruits for snacks.
I take an exercise break in mid afternoon.
At about 6-7 PM, again between patients, I eat a mix of black beans, chick peas, regular peas, and drench it in olive oil. I then eat these Metamucil wafers for fiber.
Try to go to bed early.
In the early morning I get some sun so that my eyes set off my circadian rhythm.
Melatonin to help it out at night.
For better or worse, that’s how I’ve adjusted.

1 Like

No doubt you are aware of this new study:

1 Like

Yes. That’s a good overview. It’s remarkable how much circadian rhythm eating patterns affected longevity on top of a certain degree of calorie restriction. All of the extra benefits seemed solely related to timing.

1 Like

Study showing significant benefits of time restricted eating in rats on endothelial function. All eating from 9A-5P.

2 Likes