Life Expectancy in the USA (Bad and Getting Worse)

Childhood death rate may go up as vaccination rates are dropping.

3 Likes

@KarlT That just makes me sad. There are many exceptional vaccines that save lives and I find it heart rending that children should pay for the lunacy of their parents.

2 Likes

Do you have the chilipad doc pro ? They claim this would be more silent , but am extremely to noise … eight sleep is very expensive though and with subscription; did not find any alternatives on the Ali’s & co …

No - I have the original Chilipad. I picked up mine off Craigslist (you could also try Facebook Marketplace) - for the “Pro” version, and that would give you a chance to listen to it to see if its quiet enough for you.

2 Likes

From Peter Diamandis / Dan Buettner:

The most important determinant of happiness and, therefore, longevity is where you live. Choose your environment wisely!

4 Likes

Why southern Europeans will soon be the longest-lived people in the world

Diet and exercise, but also urban design and social life

The calle de jordán, a short street in central Madrid, encompasses the entire cycle of human life. On one block is a fertility clinic, an increasingly common sight in a country obsessed by its shortage of babies. A block further down is a day centre for pensioners, advertising services like memory training and help with mobility. It is common to see women in their 60s gently leading their 90-something mothers up to the door.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington recently issued projections for longevity by country in 2050. Among the top 20 for living to a ripe old age are rich ones like Switzerland and Singapore. East Asia is also represented by South Korea and Japan, longtime longevity leaders.

chart: the economist

But a geographic cluster of relatively poorer countries are also conducive to longer lives: Spain, Italy, France and Portugal. (Three nearby microstates, San Marino, Malta and Andorra, make the top 20, too.) The oldest person alive is a Spanish woman, Maria Branyas Morera (117), who succeeded a French one. Health and long life correlate unsurprisingly with gdp per capita. Why does southern Europe outperform the usual link between wealth and health, making the average lifespan in Spain (85.5 years in 2050) longer than that of the average Dane (83.5)?

Read the full story: Why southern Europeans will soon be the longest-lived people in the world (The Economist)

3 Likes

Extremely viral video, 8 million views. Covers low salt diet, plant-based diet as well, he thinks it can prevent a bunch of different diseases and heal them. That was a bit random.