Len5742 - My Rapamycin Diary

The concentrations you list there for mice given 14 ppm are 9-16 ng/mL. Are you sure that’s correct? It doesn’t match with what was found in a 2014 study where mice were given 14 ppm. In that study they had levels of 3.5-5 ng/mL (see figure 2 in the full text). http://pmid.us/24409289

Pretty sure my experience has been the opposite, wrt fingernails. I can’t quantify how much more, or at what rate, but have been annoyed by the increased frequency I had to trim in recent years. I take hardly any supplements, and can’t think I of would be taking that would stimulate growth.

The slowdown in growth seems recent, within the last month or two, and well after I started rapa. We shall see if the perception holds going forward.

And I don’t think that the 3:1 fingernail: toenail growth ratio holds either. Fingers require trimming every couple of weeks, toes can go for months with out attention.

FTR, I think my nails look fine.

1 Like

You seem to have not got the half moons. That happens with some rapamycin use. I still have half moons but use rapamycin less frequently than most.

Here is the source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4401992/

Analysis of rapamycin levels in blood suggests that daily i.p. injection of 8 mg/kg yields blood levels of around 1800 ng/mL one hour after injection and 45 ng/mL 24 hours after injection (Johnson et al., 2013c). For comparison, blood levels of 3-4 ng/mL rapamycin were measured following dietary delivery at 14 ppm in the same mouse strain (Zhang et al., 2014) and studies from the ITP have reported between 9-16 ng/mL at this dose and 23-80 ng/mL in animals receiving the 42 ppm rapamycin diet (Miller et al., 2011). Thus, daily i.p. injection of 8 mg/kg rapamycin, which appears to be well tolerated in wild type mice (Johnson et al., 2013c), yields circulating levels of the drug that are at least 20-fold higher than the highest concentration that has been carefully tested for effects on normative aging.

1 Like

Thanks! I wonder why the concentrations in the studies you linked to are higher than in the one I linked to above. I checked the full texts of Zhang et al., 2014 and the study I linked to and both of them used enteric coated microencapsulated rapamycin so it’s not the type of rapamycin that explains it. The mouse strain was also the same.

2 Likes

Reasons to stay in shape. It took some free climbing, and then ropes, to get up here. Not bad for 70!

Rio in April, on Pedra da Gavea - you can barely make out Christo Redentor over my head, to the left.

14 Likes

Fantastic!

Did you just read up and find the climb on your own, or did some friends there introduce you to it. I would love to do that climb one day!

As North Face says…

NeverStop

It looks great:

I’m not a climber, no experience with ropes. I expect most who do this as part of a Rio visit don’t have experience, either.

It’s a popular climb, and though the photo makes it look like I’m the only one up there, there were a few dozen others. Quite a large, relatively flat area at the top.

It’s mainly just hiking on an obvious trail, some parts rooty and rocky, and mostly shaded. Then you get to the short bit, where, if you’re a good climber, you can maneuver around the steep slab face. Most people use a rope.

Lots of agencies offering a ‘guided’ climb, where someone brings the harness and ropes, and gives instruction on how to use. I paid about $40 to go as part of a group (Airbnb ‘experience’), which turned out to be four Brazilian guys.

If you go to Rio and do this, I wouldn’t book it more than a couple days in advance, with a forecast of clear skies in hand. The weather was overcast most of my eight day visit.

5 Likes

Anecdata: I just had a crown installed, sixteen days after the original was taken off. My dentist commented that the gums had not healed as much as he expected. I’ve had a multitude of crown installations, don’t recall being told that before.

I didn’t stop rapa during this period.

As for any evidence of a positive impact on dental health from six months of rapa, doesn’t seem to be any. Pocket depths unchanged.

3 Likes

Gums not healed is too broad description to understand situation or relevance to Rapa. Does he mean inflammation of the gums? Bleeding present? Lacerated? Why were the gums traumatized in the first place? Did the procedure injure them? Perhaps the temporary crown was over contoured preventing healing. But if the crown was placed satisfactorily, the important thing is that the gums become normal looking within two weeks. Be diligent but gentle in maintaining oral hygiene in the area.

1 Like

Do we have data on the absorbtion being the same in humans? If true, wouldn’t even low-ish doses of 4.7ppm achieve significant increases in lifespan for both men and women?

1 Like

Rapamycin affects wound healing of all sorts. If you would like your wounds to heal faster, stop the Rapamycin. It’s a common procedure to stop Rapamycin at least 1 week before surgery and a few weeks after surgery to promote healing.

I’ve found that even mosquito bites take longer to go away while on Rapamycin, so I think pretty much every wound is affected negatively.

6 Likes

That is true, wounds heal slower, my dog (on rapamycin) fell from some height and damaged his lip and has been two weeks and scratch is still there and visible.
But my personal experience with rapamycin and my surgery I had to remove some early SCC on my forehead is really great. It did take more time to heal, but I usually scar really badly and this time there is no visible scar any more. I saw my surgeon on Friday for checkup and she was looking for a wound on my forehead and said: “Are you sure we did cut it?”

5 Likes

The lunular size decreased with age and this has been previously noted as an ageing-related nail change in elderly persons.

1 Like

Thats an interesting thought. I measure my nail growth which is a bit of a faff and not particularly accurate, but involves keeping grooves on my right and left thumb nails. However, if you could simply measure the lunular size that would be easier. However, it does appear to go with rapamycin use although that may be simply an aspect of aging.

1 Like