Just a little humor

And @Beth
Ah, yes, our Numero Uno - Sir David. For the Longevity Movement he’s our “Taylor Swift” or maybe (thinking of the tabloid news of the SuperBowl) he’s a combination of Taylor and Kanye West (sort of representing the Yin/Yang/Yeezy of Longevity). He’s seen a meteoric rise to fame as the mainstream media latches on to the new rage. You might expect to see him in Vanity Fair, GQ or on the cover of TIME as person of the year. Paparazzi will soon follow. Speaking of Kanye, one of his movies using music from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy depicts a relationship between a man, played by Kanye West, and a half-woman, half-phoenix creature (how I imagine the goddess Longevity). So, when I saw this on Wikipedia - "In 2016, Kanye West released his seventh studio album called The Life of Pablo. On the song called “Famous” West raps, “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why? I made that b*tch famous.” This sparked a controversy with Taylor Swift as she “cautioned him about releasing a song with such a strong misogynistic message.” - I thought, if you just replace “Taylor” with “Longevity”, you can imagine that quote coming from Sir David (in an alternate universe).
Anyway, at next years SuperBowl, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sir David sharing a luxury SkyBox with Jeff Bezos, Bryan Johnson, Peter Diamandis and Tony Robbins. Hope he doesn’t try to get any famous rappers thrown out of the stadium for diverting the spotlight.

2 Likes

I got my Polar H10 a couple of days ago and I’ve been wearing it almost nonstop ever since. I’m using it with EliteHRV, Polar Flow and Sleep as Android Apps to get resting heart rate, maximum heart rate, heart rate variation and a sleep score (I think it may work for a Vo2 MAX approximation-in PolarFlow, too). After wearing it all night-for a sleep monitor-I woke up thinking, this is what it must feel like for a woman wearing a bra. And the longer I wear it, the more I feel my mentality subtly shifting. The invective “son of a b*tch” which I often mutter, under my breath, is inexplicably being replaced by “daughter of a bastard”. Now when I walk by a mirror, I say “look at those wrinkles, I better do something about that”. I’m suddenly more sympathetic to the people around me. Short of taking Rapamycin, I’m realizing that there’s lots of things you can do to make yourself a better person AND also “it’s not the destination, it’s the journey”.

3 Likes

I wear a polar H10 for about 3 minutes a day. Given your experiences I think that is probably enough.

2 Likes

Come on John… broaden your horizons! It’s a whole new world out there. The world is no longer black and white - like in the fifties - throw in a dash of color! Remember that we are all some combination of masculine and feminine anyway, sometimes it’s just hard to admit it. (never take anything in this thread too seriously, it’s always a little tongue in cheek.)

3 minutes will do me.

2 Likes

As for Dr. Sinclair, I view him as more of a Thomas Edison. Edison had 1,093 patents. Most of them were duds (like the concrete piano). But, some amazing ones changed the world such as:

• the incandescent lightbulb
  • the electric generator
  • the phonograph
  • the movie camera
  • cement (alright the Romans discovered it earlier, but we forgot how to make it)
  • the fuel cell
  • storage batteries
    and many, many more…

Sinclair is currently working on a cure for blindness, which looks very promising and could have far-reaching consequences for the medical field… NMN and Resveratrol may just be Sinclair’s concrete pianos. I’m willing to allow him to attain brilliance and make history. If not, he’ll become another Jasper Jacoby.

If you’re asking ‘Who is Jasper Jacoby?’, that’s exactly my point.

7 Likes

I thought rapamycin is an old drug with no more patent. Why isn’t it cheaper?

1 Like

it’s probably still very expensive to manufacture, lab grade rapa costs iirc somewhere between e/$1-2000000/kg and the enteric coating is expensive too

4 Likes

I’ve seen the raw materials out of China. Very cheap… Like $100 per kilo. Someone is making lots of money.

1 Like

Do a search here. China is not a reliable source.

3 Likes

Its hard to know what the prices are for the rapamycin / sirolimus API (active pharmaceutical ingredient) that the Zydus and Biocons of the world are paying. Yes - they buy the APIs from China, but its going to be in the high kgs in terms of purchase volume, so of course the prices will be low. But if individuals are paying anything like $100/kg it tells me that the product is either fake or highly adulterated.

Ultimately - its well known that generic drug companies don’t have significant margins - so they aren’t making a ton of money.

Here are the comparisons in terms of gross profit margins of the major (branded) Pharma companies vs. the generics:

Source:

Profit margin for generics manufacturers worldwide 2019 | Statista.

3 Likes

In India, the price is around $1/mg, which is pretty cheap. Not “metformin” cheap, but not unaffordable.

A reasonable question is why does it cost 3 to 5 X in the USA vs. India… I don’t know. Generally pharmaceuticals are much more expensive in the USA, and generally they charge more because they can. See details here: Why I love Big Pharma, and why you should too - #24 by adssx

Proabably another factor is that rapamycin / sirolimus is a very “niche” market, its primarily for organ transplant patients and its used less and less for that because there are better drugs out there now for that application. So - a very small market… which always drives up prices.

There are only a few hundred thousand organ transplant patients in the US, but the number of diabetics is in the tens of millions, so metformin will always be a lot cheaper.

4 Likes

I understand about the company profit… But running a corporation, there was so many ways to hide the profits. I can be making losses for years and still survive.

1 Like

I google up Rapamycin price in China, it was pretty cheap to the locals.

Ah - but I think you’re talking about raw materials (API), not for tablets. We’ve had forum members in China ask about how to import from India: How to buy cheap Rapamycin in China

2 Likes

I was quoted 100 USD for 10g. It was a reliable pharmaceutical source. At the end I did not order it. I wanted to use it for topical, but then I found a pharmacy that could do it.

1 Like

why the downer on concrete pianos? That’s a genius idea.

It’s the concrete space rocket that never took off (literally)

5 Likes

I was looking into the global market for sirolimus to see what it is currently used for and the trend in medical use seems to be upward, which surprised me.

“Data Bridge Market Research analyzes that the global sirolimus market which was USD 280.13 million in 2023, is expected to reach USD 424.23 million by 2031, and is expected to undergo a CAGR of 4.6% during the forecast period of 2024 to 2031”

One adjacent question, what’s a reasonable supply to stockpile given the risk of shortages if current trials show a strong positive signal? Given the scale of production supply could easily be exhausted. Inadequate Wegovy supply for example will take 2 years to resolve.

2 Likes

I really don’t put much faith in any of those market research reports… they are all over the web, and I suspect many of them are a couple of guys in a sweatshop in India churning out reports with little understanding of the markets. And its even worse now with AI and ChatGPT churning them out.

On stockpiling… 2.5 year rapa supply ordered, thanks for the advice!

4 Likes

Acoustics. A piano is a string instrument like guitars and violins. So the quality of the wood affects the sound.

2 Likes