Japan pulls red mould supplement pill linked to deaths and hospitalisations

This is RYR. I stopped taking RYR because I thought the statin might be having a negative effect on my memory. I don’t take any statins at the moment. I had an other statin prescribed in 2003 and stopped that year.

I don’t see anything major in this, but I pass it on as potentially useful information with no endorsement.

1 Like

It’s not because of lovastatin, it is because of a contaminant or toxin from possibly the fermentation process which is why pharmaceuticals are better.

Why? They are great.

I just think it may be useful information to someone. I was taking RYR, but the reason I stopped was different to this report.

1 Like

I agree, it is a great share. But it explains the problem with supplements rather than pharmaceuticals. People should be vary about taking supplements to lower apoB if they have access to safer and more effective drugs.

It’s odd because it looks like a pharma company made this product. Is it because there is less stringent regulation that this got to market in a very harmful state?

1 Like

Regulation has its role, but there is a balance to be struck.

I speak as a someone who was on the Regulatory Reform Select Committee of the House of Commons in the UK for 10 years.

Sometimes you can’t even trust “trusted” supplement makers.

In 1989, the FDA recalled tryptophan supplements after they were linked to an outbreak of eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS)

It was traced back to certain batches of tryptophan supplements produced by one Japanese manufacturer, Showa Denko.

Showa Denko is Japanese chemical company producing chemical products and industrial materials. As far as I can tell they didn’t sell supplements themselves but supplied tryptophan to supplement distributors. Of course, they have changed their name and appear to no longer manufacture supplement products.

The cause was likely contamination during the manufacturing process. Over 1,500 cases of EMS were reported, resulting in at least 37 deaths.

The FDA allowed tryptophan supplements back on the market in 2005 after new regulations for manufacturing and labeling were implemented.

No new cases of EMS have been reported since tryptophan supplements were reintroduced.

1 Like