Is kimchi worth the potential risk of stomach cancer? Esp in vegetarians?

(garlic/broccoli sprouts may help?)_

Good question but nobody knows. But there are many ways to get / consume fermented foods…

One study found that in vulnerable Chinese populations with H. pylori, pickled veggies only increased cancer risk in those who ate an ounce or more of pork per day

I wouldn’t trust the health advise of a 48 year that looks like a frail neurotic person in their mid sixties… (unbelievable but I am the same age as him in that video, he looks at least 20 years older than me)

3 Likes

When I am selecting physicians looks rarely factors in. That is interesting though. I would tend to blame the pork more readily than the kimchi.

2 Likes

Looks are the most important factor when chosing whose health advice to follow because they are probably living by their advice too and you can see the result of their advice in their looks.

1 Like

Again, I would judge more by the content of their advice. If they told me to go strictly carnivore I would run in the other direction!

2 Likes

The result of their advice is in their looks unless they don’t follow their own advice in which case their advice is probably unsustainable anyway .

There is nothing wrong with following a strict carnivore diet, there is no scientific evidence whatsoever that the consumption of well prepared animal products causes any harm

Anyway if your intend is to look weak, frail, neurotic and prematurely aged then I’m sure dr Greger has some excellent health advice for you…

1 Like

No evidence? Here you go.

YouTube videos aren’t evidence… give me some peer reviewed articles that actually show a causal link between meat consumption and any harm.

1 Like

Read the studies and not the YouTube videos. One of the leading experts in this field doesn’t look well or sound well. He could be on his deathbed and I still would take his advice over a dentist. But that’s just me.

Since I am both an MD and dentist I think I can safely say that MDs unlike dentists are clueless when it comes to nutrition…Seriously "eat frequently with plenty of carbs and fruits " who can actually believe a diet that will literally make your rot out of your mouth is actually healthy…

5 Likes

Sounds like another Vegan with an axe to grind. We need objective information rather than propaganda.

2 Likes

Not a vegan, but I agree that diet is a messy area, bordering on religious. And I do trend towards whole foods but I am pretty flexible about what I ingest.

1 Like

I kind of knew about this, but this video does a good job explaining it. Looking at the table here:

https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.128439

Deer meat does ok. Though we mix in the fat trimmings from a local butcher to make it edible. Probably should use a little less of that next year.

Increased intake of kimchi or soybean pastes was a significant risk factor for the CYP1A1 Ile/Ile, the CYP2E1 c1/c1, the GSTM1 non-null, the GSTT1 non-null, or the ALDH2 *1/*1 genotype. In addition, eating soybean pastes was associated with the increased risk of gastric cancer in individuals with the GSTM1 null type.

glutathione S-transferase mu 1 (GSTM1)

soybean paste’ - soybean paste stew, fermented soybean stew, and miso soup,

Given that soybean paste is so good for most people…

1 Like