Is glycerol toxic?

1 Like

Interesting.

Full paper Increased alcohol dehydrogenase 1 activity promotes longevity

Would just like to add, wouldn’t it make sense for yeast to live longer since they make alcohol as a by-product. Being able to metabolize more alcohol = longer life?

1 Like

Ok. Found this related study. Influence of food commodities on hangover based on alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase activities

Alcohol consumption often leads to hangover, a condition characterized by several symptoms, characteristically headache, nausea, fatigue and drowsiness. Hangover may be alleviated by altering the rate of alcohol metabolism and facilitating elimination of acetaldehyde by affecting the activity of alcohol dehydrogenase(ADH) and/or aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) enzymes. In the present study, several food commodities like fruits, vegetables, cereals, pulses, dairy products, spices and other miscellaneous products (ascorbic acid, cocoa sample, tea, coffee, egg yolk and date samples) were investigated for their effect on the in vitro activities of the enzymes and their antioxidant properties. Of the many screened food commodities, few showed an increase in the activity of either one or both the enzymes, ADH and ALDH. Studies showed no correlation between ADH and ALDH enzyme activities and antioxidant property of the selected food commodities for anti-hangover effect. Further, an anti-hangover (AHO) product was developed using pear (65%), sweet lime (25%) and coconut water (10%) and, validated for in vitro ADH and ALDH enzyme activities. AHO product was found to enhance ADH and ALDH activities by 23.31% and 70.02%, respectively.

Thoughts on this? Start drinking pear/sweet lime/coconut water regularly?

1 Like

There have been studies on Prickly Pear showing that it significantly reduces the symptoms of alcohol induced hangovers… Another sustance that I have read about (and I also tried) is DHM, dihydromyricetin. I found DHM interesting. Not as much for its capacity to reduce a hang over but for the vitalizing effect I experienced.

Noted hangover remedy DHM has added benefit of protecting the liver (usc.edu)

2 Likes

DHM is interesting, thanks for highlighting it. Just found this though. They tested DHMs impact on alcohol dehydrogenase and it came out negative

DO NOT LOSE HOPE!

There is this 2021 paper.
Identification of Dihydromyricetin and Metabolites in Serum and Brain Associated with Acute Anti-Ethanol Intoxicating Effects in Mice

And this 2020 paper that demonstrates the mechanism of action: Dihydromyricetin Protects the Liver via Changes in Lipid Metabolism and Enhanced Ethanol Metabolism

It’s good to be skeptical Hayes, but what is said in that article from Curious seems to be true.

What about vegetable glycerin, which is often used as a safe sweetener?