Inflammation Oriented BioClock

This seems like something rapamycin would likely impact in a significant way…

The company website:

3 Likes

A review FWIW;

2 Likes

Exactly - more and more aging researchers are focusing on the damage of continuous low-level inflammation in older persons. Nice article.

On that site was this too!
3 Things Causing INFLAMMATION In Your Body & How To PREVENT IT | Mark Hyman Silent inflammation in the body!

TLDL, but what are those 3 things?

1 Like

Hahaha… here is a summary. 1. Problems in the gut micro-biome… crap or unhealthy diet. Where most immunities are held… the food you eat.
2. Insulin resistance from too much starch and sugar diet. Resistant to the effects of insulin… so it makes more and more belly fat adipose cytokines - systemic inflammation. 3. Chronic Stress… emotional inflammatory response…

There they are.

4 Likes

I’ll add three more causes: 1. getting old with an overactive mTOR pathway, causing cellular geroconversion and SASP. 2. not enough sleep 3. various diseases, from diabetes to asthma to covid

2 Likes

This study was posted on rapa and inflammation- any thoughts ?

2 Likes

Hi Katherine

I’m not a Doctor but my thoughts are that we can’t read too much into this study as it focused on kidney transplant patients as opposed to those people seeking to use Rapa for longevity. Kidney transplant patients have to take Rapa (and other drugs) daily, whereas longevity proponents generally dose intermittently.

Happy to stand corrected though :blush:
Dan

4 Likes

My own view on this is that C Reactive Protein levels are driven by Interleukin-6. Interleukin-6 is part of SASP. Interleukin-6, however, is also created when there are infections.

Hence you need to take a number of readings of C Reactive Protein and the lowest one you get which hopefully is when it is not affected by temporary infection is an indication of the base level of senescence in the body.

Given that senescence causes further senescence (gradually) this is one of the key drivers of age related diseases. It is called “silent inflammation”, but in many ways it should be called senescence rather than being related directly to inflammation.

Here is an example using my recent CRP figures (measurements in mg/L, divide by 10 for mg/dL - in the USA I think the mass per deciLitre is used.)

14-Nov-22 0.17
21-Nov-22 0.26
01-Dec-22 <0.16
07-Dec-22 0.4
painful inflamed right leg and slight cold
13-Dec-22 0.22
06-Jan-23 1.71
infections
11/01/2023 0.8
19/01/2023 0.25
25-Jan-23 0.21

My family had some quite nasty infections over Xmas. I did not show symptoms of those, but it is clear from the CRP figures that I was infected and the effect of the increase in CRP is now gradually going away.

I also had a little jump in CRP when I had an inflamed leg.

The analyzer used is quite a sensitive one and will measure CRP down to 0.16mg/L and below that it just says below 0.16mg/L.

A normal CRP test which is not high sensitivity is likely to have a minimum level of 0.6 and some hsCRP tests have a lower point of 0.3mg/L

3 Likes

The value of a CRP test is confusing to me. My own CRP results varied so widely that I no longer think they have much value, especially for plugging into epigenetic age tests such as the Levine spreadsheet.
What are your thoughts on the actual value of CRP tests? Or, are they just nice to know?

1 Like

I think it is important to remember that CRP/IL-6 measures two things. It measures recent infection, but also measures senescence. It is the low point of CRP that is the key figure. You can see in my CRP figures that the low point more recently is under 0.16mg/l. This has moved down from a figure in 2021 of 0.6mg/L.

The problem with many biomarkers is that they measure a number of things and just slotting them into a formula does not necessarily produce good results.

I understand the logic behind the Levine formula, but it necessarily simplifies some complex issues.

The CRP lowpoint to me is the key indicator of senescence. However, it is the low point not the point at any particular time which will be influenced by infection. Hence I would slot the lowest value into the levine spreadsheet.

However, most people don’t do weekly blood tests.

I must admit I am quite pleased with the shape of the curve following my infection over Xmas. We were surprised that I did not show any particularly over signs of infection notwithstanding other family members being quite ill. However, the CRP tells me I was infected and that gradually the signs of that faded away and my CRP was returning to the current senescence baseline.

1 Like

I am still a little confused. (Treat me like a 5 year old)
Are you taking the high-sensitivity test? Your results seem very low, especially considering your infection. I thought my CRP was quite low for my age ~82, but yours seem much lower.

The value for CRP is the same whether you are using a high sensitivity test or not. My minimum result was below the minimum threshold for the analyzer that my lab was using.

I agree with you that under 0.16 milligrams per litre is low. Your figure of 0.6 mg/L is actually quite good and generally a hs test will have a minimum of 0.3 although my lab’s minimum is 0.16.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response.

1 Like