If you had < $1 million in funding and would work on a science-ish project, what would you use the funding for?

Am curious! (also asking for it makes it more likely for it to happen - I am friends with thousands of people after all)

2 Likes

I would spend the money on Matt Kaberlein’s wormbot project to identify new life extending drugs. It seems like a brilliant project to me.

1 million dollars could test a lot of drugs as worm farms and cameras are cheap. 1 million wouldn’t be able to do much for other projects.

5 Likes

I’d try to get involved in the field Prof Michael Levine’s is researching. It is by far the most mind-blowing research I’ve ever come across. Right now they’re focusing on limb regeneration in mammals and it’s very early, but it sounds as if they continue to decipher the code, full human regeneration won’t be too far off.

3 Likes

A million dollars is almost nothing when it comes to R&D.

If I had an extra million bucks and wanted to make the biggest (longevity) difference with it, I would save it to spend on serious gene therapy 25 years from now.

Levine’s interview with Lex Fridman is worth watching.

His approach, although addressing bioelectricity instead of plasma fractions, seems related to Katcher’s E5 work. Both are top-down from the highest levels they can identify, their interventions controlling everything below.

2 Likes

https://www.frontierbio.com/
Morphoceuticals is also top-down
Cargill and Jean Hebert

There’s enough investment/attention in reprogramming, and reprogramming most likely will barely increase lifespan (alone at least).

1 Like

Dosing optimization studies for rapamycin in humans… a bunch of small clinical trials to test out intranasal, intra-muscular injections, transdermal delivery, etc. … to help move the state of the science forward on the drug delivery aspects of rapamycin.

3 Likes

They’re coming out with their own biomarker test. Might be better than that hyped Bryan Johnson test.

1 Like

rapamycin + reprogramming

1 Like

Off the top of my head, a few things that might come in at ~1M

• A good lifespan trial of pulsed, or even one-shot, D+Q in healthy mice.
  • Similarly, synthesize and test a galactose conjugated prodrug of dasatinib, to reduce off-target effects.
  • An exploratory lifespan study of low dose retinoid treatment.
  • Fish-bot. Like worm-bot but for killifish. We need to stop using Caenorhabditis as an aging model – it’s terrible.
  • Similarly, a quick and dirty GWAS for killifish lifespan, using diverse offspring of wild strains.
2 Likes

Noninvasive Measurement of mTORC1

Human study

1 Like

I love this idea. I actually tried to buy some of these fish… thought it would be fun to have at home and breed them to test different things on them. In talking with the researchers It seemed hard to get them unless you have a lab.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good possibility to use killifish instead of worms. Maybe someone should suggest the idea to Matt Kaberlein?

Same target (regeneration), different approach.

Morphoceuticals may win out, because the approach is less invasive. But it is good to have two fronts attacking the same problem.

1 Like

Profoundly informative; a gourmet menu of biology, engineering, and physics.

This is one long video (3 hours), I am certain to finish, even if it takes several views.

I am quite impressed by Michael Levin having seen other videos.

As far as the OP is concerned I would like to expand on my own research (which I am gradually doing as small numbers of people join my protocol).

Now at 1:37:58; still scintillatingly informative.

Would be nice if Eleanor Sheekey (biochemist) interviewed him (biologist). Oops. she did - ten months ago.

(My) choice sections - regenerative medicine (2:20:00) and cancer suppression after it (2:27:00).