If you could only take 10 supplements a day, what would they be?

They both seem to have lots of sceptics here - maybe because of their association with David Sinclair, the great salesman. And pterostilbene may be better than resveratrol. But certainly a lot of people swear by some form of NAD precursor.

1 Like

Just keep an eye on your kidneys. There is mouse data showing NMN can damage kidneys of old mice. Your blood will tell you the truth.

As for Resveratrol, it always gives me diarrhea, so I am happy to stop when I use up all my supply. I think I have a year supply left. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@DeStrider i take 500 mg every morning (6 days a week).

1. Rapa
  2. Fish Oil
  3. D3 + K2
  4. Magtein
  5. Taurine
  6. Vinpocetine
  7. Magnesium Orotate
  8. Protein Powder ( Naked Pea & Rice mixed)
  9. Homocysteine Resist (Life Extension)
  10. Ubiquinol

I’ve been taking Rapa for 10 weeks now. 6mg once a week. Very noticeable results from fish oil and protein powder. Don’t notice anything from Taurine so far. I take everything on the list plus a few more.

3 Likes

What brand do you prefer?

Its best to read the protocol thread about citrate

B5 is a coa precursor and good for lots of things as acetyl coa is a key metabolite.

Pantethine as opposed to pantethinoic acid is non rate limited.

1 Like

@John_Hemming So what dose of Pantethine or Pantethinoic acid would you recommend?

I take both. Pantethine when drinking alcohol.l depending on ethanol quantities. (1, 2, 3g)

0.5g of b5 daily.

B5 is in royal jelly.

I use these as well but considered them as food. If I had to choose I would keep the protein powders and let go of some of the other items on my list.

1 Like

I have been thinking a little more about the OP. I think one of my issues is that health is a question of inputs more broadly. Hence you can have vitamin D in food as well as a supplement. We also should be aware that dark chocolate is a good source of copper.

Also I am quite strongly of the view that people should supplement based upon measurement. Quite a few supplements (such as Zinc) are easy to over do.

Similarly Lithium at a low level has merit, but as the level goes up it has the effect of inhibiting the SLC13A group of citrate transporters.

I have more recently done a test for Manganese and although I was taking a multivitamin that included some Manganese I have added a very small amount of manganese two days a week.

However, in the vein of the OP here is a small list of subject areas.

Citrate (cycled during the day)
Melatonin (during the night)
HDAC inhibition
AMPK stimulation (on a cyclical basis). (Yanq Qi etc)
A multivitamin with Manganese, Selenium, Boron, Lithium etc.
Vitamin K2 (Mk4 and Mk7)
Mitochondrial Boosting (on a cyclical basis), COQ10, (MK7), Creatine, D-Ribose, Methylene Blue

On a daily basis I eat 25g of Chia seeds. I think arguably that is not a supplement, but it is quite significant not least because of the fibre.

I ran quite a bit of AMPK and ATP boosting before Christmas and that seems to have had a longer lasting effect even though I have stopped it. My blood pressure and resting heart rate were initially put up by that, but appear to be gradually coming back down although my hearts stroke volume seems higher.

I was quite pleased in the gym to get my heart rate up to 169 (I am 63 and not traditionally a gym bunny) whilst on the metabolic boost. It was still 147 without much effort on Sunday (this is on the cross trainer).

4 Likes

Seeing your comment on chia seeds - made me think it would be interesting to do a top 10 foods thread too. The top 10 foods you eat that you feel are most important to your longevity. Ill start one niw because I’m fascinated what people are eating and drinking…

2 Likes

Joseph_Lavelle, I have a curiosity question. You mentioned Pantothenic Acid which is the same thing as vitamin B5 for lowering LDL-C? How much do you take and how effective is it? I’ve been taking Pantethine (a B5 derivative which is not the same as vitamin B5) for about ten years to reduce LDL-C by about 10%, but have not found B5 to be effective. If B5 works for you I may give it another try because it’s cheaper than Pantethine.

1 Like

The difference between B5 and Pantethine is there is a feedback system which limits the rate at which B5 gets converted into Coenzyme A. This does not apply in the same way with Pantethine.

Pantethine, however, is not rate limited in the same way and (probably as a result) can exacerbate bleeding.

Here’s the brand I use for Pantothenic acid. It costs $18 for 1 year supply. The low cost is why I chose it, not because I thought it would be the best quality. But since I still have 7 mos supply I’m not thinking about a change any time soon.

2 Likes

I wish companies would publish the details of the ingredients in their supplements:
[/quote]

Prior to taking Thorne Pic-Mins I was taking chelated zinc by itself. When I saw this multi mineral formula in which each of the minerals are chelated with picolinic acid I decided a more balanced mineral approach might be better. It does not contain copper. I’d rather supplement copper with an occasional hand full of pistachios or dark chocolate anyway. I hope to get a hair analysis soon to get a better idea of what I’m doing to my body with mineral supplementation. Here is the product label.

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen Vanadium as a supplement so far so I looked at this

I think I would get my levels tested before supplementing it myself.

1 Like

I also take Novos Core and just about everything else you listed with a couple exceptions. High five

1 Like

the truth is the opposite for most part. Yes Glynac and very few known others but for the most part like 99% of them, there’s either no synergy (at best) or they compete and, in some cases, counter each other (at worst end) . I think a multi is a lazy way of knowing you are getting the daily dosing. Not for me, did nothing when I tried and as I said had a tendency to make me gain weight. BTW a girlfriend of mine at the time had huge issue with weight gain when on multi. She didn’t know what it was, and just tried to see if stopping multi would make a difference, and her weight actually returned to normal within six months, nothing else changed. So, it is only N=2 and we are all different but multi is not for me. Might try it in very advance age (over 80) just in case my body may not be able to correctly absorb nutrients, but not in 50’s or 60’s. BTW, other than easier to gain weight i never experienced any other negative effects, so for those that have no weight issue it might actually be a good idea.

BTW, I always try to reason (in a practical way, at times come with wrong conclusions but very often come to right ones) the reason why multi made it easier for me and my girlfriend (and perhaps others) is logical when you think of it. Basically, you brain gets a message that your daily values of most nutrients (other than caloric) are satisfied and some processes in the body my just decide to go to sleep LOL

2 Likes

I just had a look at Novos Core. Yes it does have lots of things I take including many I didn’t put on my top 10 list. Very nice!

1 Like

I didn’t realize Collagen is expensive for people. I pay a bit over $20 a pound depending. 45 days of supplement @ 10 grams daily?

I guess that is still almost 50 cents a day…

And then there’s the over-priced versions like Vital Proteins . Don’t buy that. It’s not even good.

1 Like