How to Reverse Skin Aging

Thanks just starting to get some in the “Jowls” And thanks for the tip about going overseas. That might be worth it! And country in particular? Also why is this product better than Juvederm?

Juvederm doesn’t stimulate collagen, it simply creates a temporary volume. Radiesse will also create volum, and in addition will stimulate collagen and will last much longer than Juvederm. However, if a mistake is made, like too much volume or asymmetry, correction is possible only with Juvederm.

2 Likes

Thanks Lara, you seem to be the skin expert! Appreciate the advice.

P

1 Like

I’m not though. I’m simply familiar with Radiesse as I used it for a few years in the past with great success, but don’t do it anymore. So I thought I would share personal experience.

2 Likes

As Lara said, Radiesse lasts longer than Juvederm for about 9-12 months but takes 4 weeks to start working. It’s mainly caused by the main ingredient in Radiesse which is calcium hydroxylapatite which stimulates the body’s own collagen production resulting in the longer lasting effect. Also, Radiesse is effective at smoothing deeper creases and folds but denser Juvéderm products could do that as well. I guess it is just personal preference and the fact that Radiesse also increase the body’s own collagen production which is a plus as it actually corrects the wrinkles and saggy skin.

Generally the price in most EU countries is set to be 300-450 euros per treatment. Vs the US prices of $700 - $2000 each injection. My friend had it done in the US for $1500 (a rip off because the results were sub-par) and in Portugal for 350 euros . The Portugal treatment was so much better with amazing results and a wonderful caring doctor. Also way cheaper. Literally the flight+ hotel+ treatment is cheaper than the US price alone.

4 Likes

“sagging is only corrected by surgery. nothing else will fix that. it is a waste of expense and time to think anything else is going to work.”
Sagging is caused by loss of elasticity.
Now I am going to rant and offend some people.
I agree with dan_hayes. At this time nothing but surgery is going to get rid of jowls etc., except surgery. PERIOD
All of your expensive fillers, tighteners, creams, and other junk are not going to do sh*t.
I have been visiting dermatologists for decades and have tried most of the junk you are trying. Nothing is beating gravity and loss of elasticity. Old people who do not have sagging jowls and loss of elasticity can thank their lucky genes. Everything else is BS.

Some things like retinoids will get rid of fine wrinkles and make your skin look as good as it can for your age. And, of course, a little make-up on women almost always makes them look better.

I don’t know. Too much coffee? I just feel like ranting.

:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I have always wanted to go to Portugal!:joy::rofl:

3 Likes

It’s sold for $150-$200 per 2ml syringe depending on a site…

2 Likes

You are right. It’s impossible to reverse sagging especially in aging population. What we had to do (when we were younger) is prevention. If you didn’t start doing it at 30-40 then forget about any reversal if you are 65+ with a lot of sagging. Prevention includes maintaining the same normal weight, following a healthy diet, mesotherapy, some small correction to add volume with fillers, exercising, facial yoga, sleeping well, and supplements. What is reversible though is skin appearance (discoloration, dullness). But it’s not the skin appearance that makes one younger.

1 Like

I disagree from personal experience

John;
We can see your pictures :smile:

1 Like

Quite difficult to self administer, given that is injected with a long cannula and has to be precisely and carefully maneuvered.

1 Like

I would highly disagree with you. Obviously we are not talking about sagginess that can only be solved by surgery. Although injections are uncomfortable, they do work which can be seen by the thousands of studies, case reports and literally the before and after pictures. You could always prevent the severity of wrinkling, sagginess of the neck, etc… with certain treatments and injections. This way it wouldn’t progress to the point where your only resort would be surgery.
Genes do play a role but not the degree people attribute it to. It is an easy scapegoat.

Read the MOA of Radiesse and you will find out why it is effective on mild to moderate sagginess in certain areas. Radiesse specifically activates the skin’s natural collagen to grow, and the skin regains its tightness and elasticity.

It is widely accepted to work.

2 Likes

I did self injecting and used only sharps. I didn’t need much correction at that time, so it was pretty easy but extremely painful for couple minutes immediately after injection (I used it without lidocaine).

2 Likes

I stand by my statement.
I see I touched a nerve. Sorry.

Perhaps it’s just a matter of semantics.

But, of course, no one ever sees us as we see ourselves.

We can slather on beauty products and perhaps it improves our appearance, but we really are not fooling anyone but ourselves. There are ageless beauties all over the world using no cosmetics or supplements, except perhaps a little olive or coconut oil, and they accomplish this by genes. As LaraPo says, we can do our best to slow it down.

Gravity and loss of elasticity along with fundamental changes to our facial bone, muscle, and cartilage structure are not going to be changed by any of your “look younger” products.

“With age, that fat loses volume, clumps up, and shifts downward, so features that were formerly round may sink, and skin that was smooth and tight gets loose and sags. Meanwhile other parts of the face gain fat, particularly the lower half, so we tend to get baggy around the chin and jowly in the neck.”

And that is just the head. How about that underarm sagginess that comes with age, weight loss and sarcopenia?

My skin looks pretty good for an 82 yr. old. The only things I use on my skin are the rapamycin spray for about the last year and tretinoin 0.1% off and on for the last several years.

That said, I don’t pretend to look anything but old.

Two pictures of myself taken 18+ months apart. You can see that as I get older and still continue to lose a little body fat I am not able to stave off some crepey underarm sagging.

My goal is not to live to be 100 and look 20 years younger but to live to be 100 and look 20 years old.

Ponce and I are still in the swamp looking for that fountain of youth. :smile:

18 Likes

@desertshores dont sell yourself short: for guy in his eighties living in AZ you look fantastic. An honest evaluation: I’ve been to AZ loads of times and most older people there look like dehydrated leather goods (the dryness and high-desert sun isn’t kind over the years). The long-time runners look even worse (even when in great shape).

Here in NYC (the land of ridiculously excessive fillers) I see plenty of 60 year olds who’s skin looks far worse than yours. I’d gather that the exercise and tretinoin actually work, although won’t likely make you look thirty again (which is your point). (Then again, I see plenty of 20 year olds at the beach who are habitually in the sun with skin about on par with yours, albeit darker).

5 Likes

I totally agree with @Ericross2. Many ppl 20-30 years younger would envy your skin. It’s amazing especially for Arizona. I hope that it’s effect of Rapamycin and other supplements, not just good genes.

5 Likes

Since I have taken a boatload of supplements daily for years, who knows?
My opinion however is it is primarily genes. Both my mother and father had very good skin into old age. We are mostly of Scandinavian descent.

8 Likes

First off, you look great for your age. How long have you been on top of your diet, health and supplement regime for? It definitely paid off.

About the injections + beauty products: Genes are a good thing, when you can optimize the good genes by not smoking, rapamycin, supplements +etc… But,for example, if someone has the best, most ideal genes yet has a terrible lifestyle (smoking, exposed to pollutants, terrible diet, no exercise etc…), those great genes will not mean anything because they will not be activated.

Same thing will cancer genes. Although someone might have a relative or parent who had cancer, if they can optimize their healthy lifestlye, supplementation + medications, then those cancer genes might never be activated.

My point is having good genes is wonderful but we still need to do things to maximize them.

Many don’t want to wait until 80 to see if they won the genetic lottery, and will not sag or wrinkle or look as good as you do. They want to prevent that from happening by injections, fillers, retinoids, topicals, cream, lasers etc…So that even if they are predisposed to terrible aging (aesthetically) at least it was somewhat mitigated.

For others, they might be extremely bothered by their neck sagginess, or lines and wrinkles. In that case, doing the injections is to restore their self-confidence. If they opt for Radiesse or other injections, and have even a 5% improvement they will be delighted as they improved their physical appearance somewhat.

What I’m trying to say is that no one wants to age, so anything they can do to improve physical appearance, that doesn’t directly harm their physical health, will probably be done.

Best regards

5 Likes

I realize that the vanity of people, myself included, leads them to do expensive things to their skin. In most cases, the hype just doesn’t live up to the expectations and expenses.
My observation from being married for 53 years is; the skin care products, probably thousands, my wife purchased over the decades accomplished more by the placebo effect she was experiencing than actual observational improvements that I saw.
Of course, what people choose to do with their money is their business, but I wouldn’t put skincare products very high on my priority list. (Unless there is some underlying skin condition that needs to be treated.)

4 Likes