How to Reverse Skin Aging

Maybe I am a little paranoid as a result of living with a plastic surgeon and all the training he has done and is doing and hearing sometimes horror stories of self injecting or going to a badly or untrained doctor (or nurse) and how they are trying to fix those things in hospital. I also work in medical field although not in the immediate sense of the word but the first thing that comes to me is always Primum non nocere (first do no harm) and I go by this even for myself. Even when trying off label medicines I have this in my mind. I also understand that some cosmetic treatments have a ridiculous “mark up” as this field of medicine is in its roots for-profit and it makes you more drawn to DIY solutions, but I just wanted to point out that it can get out of hands. Profhilo/Ultrahilo can cause vascular occlusions. Doctors usually have hyaluronidase on hand to intervene quickly. There are late occlusions possibe, when symptoms would appear later. Just be careful.

5 Likes

I will try this, finaly found it… whats the point of having 20 different name for it though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

@scta123, Thank you for the reality check! I’m a pretty hardcore DIY’er and didn’t fully consider the potential adverse reactions. I will certainly be mindful of your warnings. The problem with working in the medical field is you see so much it’s sometimes hard to trust that others really know what they’re doing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe this goes without saying, but UV protection is the number one thing you can do to prevent skin aging. 90% of all skin aging has nothing to do with the passage of time and everything to do with UV damage.

Consistent UV protection, retinoid use, probably topical rapamycin, and conservative use of derm treatments like laser and microneedling are enough to reduce skin issues down to crazy small levels.

13 Likes

Some good sources / evaluations of sunscreens:

4 Likes

Yes, I use it daily. Everybody takes and formulations are found in the DIY thread.
I would like to say that the finer the mesh filter the better so that you don’t clog the sprayer on your spritzer bottle. Paper filters tend to clog up and are very slow.
DIY Rapamycin skin cream

4 Likes

Unfortunately the US requires sunscreens to be approved like pharmaceuticals so no new UV filters have come to the market since the 1970s. It just costs too much. But other countries have really amazing sunscreens with filters like Tinosorb and Mexoryl that do really excellent jobs of covering UVa light. Asian sunscreens as well as anything from La Roche Posay (they have the patents on Mexoryl) are really impressive.

5 Likes

I agree that avoiding UV damage is important. Though I am somewhat skeptical of sunscreens, since I have read a few articles suggesting that there are carcinogens or hormone disrupting chemicals in some. Lately I prefer to avoid sunlight during peak hours instead of covering myself with sunscreen.

There are some good physical sunscreens out there too. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide… seem to be pretty inert biologically.

1 Like

Agreed. I, for one, am unable to tolerate any sunscreen and I have tried many including ones for sensitive skin and fragrance free. By the end of the day I always feel lousy wearing sunscreen. I am certain it is the sunscreen because if I do not put it on I feel fine. I tend to be a chemically sensitive person (i.e. they make me feel ill, including most perfumes. I was relieved recently when I heard Andrew Hubermann say on a podcast that he also can not tolerate perfumes, so at least I know it is not just me. My greatest social desire is for people to stop wearing artificial scents, men and women. They do not understand how objectionable they are. When I go to the beach even the smell of sunscreen makes me want to flee, but I don’t feel ill like when putting it on my skin.) I swear I could start a business sniffing out toxic chemicals in people’s houses. Its not just that they do not smell “nice”, they make me ill; imagine like going near an animal that has been dead for a week in the hot sun - yes, that sort of feeling.
I am interested in trying the newer non-US approved sunscreens. If anyone can recommend one with no smell and a shortish list of chemical ingredients.

2 Likes

This is one I used to use, and still occasionally use. It has a shorter list of ingredients than most and has no odor that I can detect. (Remember I am old so my sense of smell is not what it used to be) I have no affiliation with this company, but I do recommend their products.

1 Like

Odd how my limited-ingredient cat food costs twice as much and my limited-ingredient sunscreen costs four times as much. :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Totally doable! There are uTube videos of ladies who show you how, too

1 Like

Turn Biotechnologies show Cell Reprogramming with ERA™ Technology Renews Skin

“Late-Breaking Turn Biotechnologies Presentation at ISID to Show Cell
Reprogramming with ERA™ Technology Renews Skin”

Turn Biotechnologies, a cell reprogramming company developing novel mRNA medicines for untreatable, age-related conditions, has been invited to present data showing that its epigenetic reprogramming technology rejuvenates human skin.

Turn Bio’s late-breaking abstract was accepted for presentation during the prestigious International Societies for Investigative Dermatology (ISID) Meeting, in Tokyo, Japan.

Data will show that transient reprogramming with Turn Bio’s Epigenetic Reprogramming of Aging (ERA™) technology rejuvenates cells within the extracellular matrix (ECM), resulting in comprehensive changes related to improved skin quality and structure. ERA reprogramming technology significantly reduced oxidative stress, matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and cellular senescence markers.

In vitro results found that ERA reprogramming increased fibroblast proliferation by more than 50% while simultaneously reversing the intrinsic hallmarks of aging.

7 Likes

Profhilo is available from several sellers on Indiamart. Not sure if Ultrahilo and Profhilo give the exact same effect, but it’s an option if you wanted to try Profhilo.

2 Likes

The group behind Oneskin have had a paper published in Nature. There’s some mention of Rapamycin. I’ve been using Oneskin since it launched and it’s made a huge difference. I wonder whether you could mix and match between Rapamycin and Oneskin.

Senotherapeutic peptide treatment reduces biological age and senescence burden in human skin models

Cellular senescence is known to play a role in age-related skin function deterioration which potentially influences longevity. Here, a two-step phenotypic screening was performed to identify senotherapeutic peptides, leading to the identification of Peptide (Pep) 14. Pep 14 effectively decreased human dermal fibroblast senescence burden induced by Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome (HGPS), chronological aging, ultraviolet-B radiation (UVB), and etoposide treatment, without inducing significant toxicity. Pep 14 functions via modulation of PP2A, an understudied holoenzyme that promotes genomic stability and is involved in DNA repair and senescence pathways. At the single-cell level, Pep 14 modulates genes that prevent senescence progression by arresting the cell cycle and enhancing DNA repair, which consequently reduce the number of cells progressing to late senescence. When applied on aged ex vivo skin, Pep 14 promoted a healthy skin phenotype with structural and molecular resemblance to young ex vivo skin, decreased the expression of senescence markers, including SASP, and reduced the DNA methylation age. In summary, this work shows the safe reduction of the biological age of ex vivo human skins by a senomorphic peptide.

Compared to Rapamycin, Pep 14 promoted the maintenance of the overall structure of ex vivo skins of donors with different age ranges (35–79 years old) when added to culture media, leading to thicker epidermis, whereas Rapamycin treatment resulted in a more disorganized epidermal layer, and failed to increase the thickness of the epidermis (Fig. 6a, f). The mRNA expression of Pep 14-treated epidermis from ex vivo skin samples exhibited a significant decrease in the aging markers CDKN2A and B2M , the SASP marker CXCL8 , the pigmentation-related gene TYR , and a trend towards decreased SASP-related gene IL6 expression, in addition to a significant increase in KRT1 (a marker of keratinocyte terminal differentiation) and KRT14 (a marker of non-differentiated, proliferative keratinocytes) (Fig. 6b). Rapamycin induced a similar decrease in CDKN2A , CXCL8 and TYR expression, and a trend towards increased IL6 expression (Fig. 6b). In the dermis, Pep 14 treatment promoted a significant reduction in CDKN2A and B2M gene expression, as well as higher expression of the cell proliferation marker MKI67 and extracellular matrix components HYAL1 , MMP1 , COL1A1 and HAS2 . Rapamycin treatment induced CDKN2A , CXCL8 and HYAL1 reduction, and increased HAS2 (Fig. 6c). Ki-67 alterations was validated at the protein level (Fig. 6d, g). Protein levels of H2A.J were also assessed in the skins, and were reduced by both Pep 14 and Rapamycin treatment (Fig. 6e, h).

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41514-023-00109-1

5 Likes

I’m currently using both so I hope it’s okay! They seem to work well together.

4 Likes

This is the same concentration of Rapamycin that OneSkin used in their past paper, which is extremely low at 100 nM. The amount they used would be about 0.005 mg dissolved in 56 mL of lotion. The Drexel study on the other hand was 10 uM Rapamycin, or about 0.5 mg dissolved in the same amount of lotion. The least they could have done would be to use the same concentration used in the Drexel study. I find it very misleading.

8 Likes

@blsm do you use topical rapamycin too?

1 Like

@scta123, yes. I made a spray inspired by Desertshores.

1 Like