How Science Is Advancing Beauty’s Quest for Longevity at Warp Speed

Lots of hype here, and the legacy skin care companies seem pretty far removed from the real progress, but they are aware of the trend:

“[Longevity] has been emerging in the mainstream for the past three to five years, and now it’s really reaching a critical mass of real applications that are coming into the clinic, into the market,” said Marco Quarta, chief executive officer of Rubedo Life Science, a company targeting cellular senescence.

“If I had to sum up what is longevity, it is adding life to our years and not years to our life,” said Anne Colonna, global head of advanced research at L’Oréal.

The science feeding into longevity has reached a pivot point, with a convergence of fields such as epigenetics and micro-nutrition opening its next chapter.

“There is an acceleration of the science in this field,” said Virginie Couturaud, scientific communications director at Parfums Christian Dior.

That allows, for instance, brands to start working with actives differently, making “age-reverse” skin care no longer just a pipe dream, but the reality of now.

Read the full story: (unpaywalled): How Science Is Advancing Beauty’s Quest for Longevity at Warp Speed (Beauty Inc.)

On that note, I am about to be done with my first bottle of ELEVAI Enfinity serum that contains exosomes and stem cells, along with peptides and vitamin C.

It’s insanely expensive, but in light that it has replaced 2-3 products for me, it’s now only very expensive.

In trying to decide if I buy another bottle, do any of you think exosomes/stem cells do anything?

I also need to go down the rabbit hole of the potions many of you are making in your kitchens.

Any thoughts?

The way stem cells are handled by the body there is a movement out of a hypoxic niche in the right environment that provides a stem cell which then differentiates (hopefully) into the right cell type. I am not sure that could be done at all well with a serum.

Exosomes are a different issue. I think there is role for mitochondrial transplant, but it needs to be handled carefully to make sure there is no conflict between the mtDNA being donated and that in the nuclear DNA. Also dosing has some real subtleties. Those are only one type of exosome, however.

1 Like