How many are whole food plant based for longevity?

Check the date of the article. 2013. Im sure they have been other studies since then that prove otherwise. Hundred years ago Cocaine and other drugs were pushed as healing ointments. We know better today. I’d rather find more up to date research then something ten years past.

1 Like

Some whole food plant based people avoid SOS, salt oil sugar.
I do my best to live this way also.
I eat olives daily. I avoid olive oil.
Dr Greger does very solid work going through the science and I trust him more than anyone else out there.
I am a chemist, I have done a lot of university level biochem, so I do understand it well enough.

3 Likes

This is a repost, but I thought it appropriate here.

Summary: ALL diets have a similar all-cause mortality rate.

There was a study done on all-cause mortality on individuals who ate a certain diet. Dr. Sinclair highlighted it in one of his podcasts. The study reported that a pesco-vegetarian diet had the lowest all-cause mortality followed by a vegetarian diet. The Mediterranean diet also scored well.

But then there’s this study in Australia that says diet doesn’t matter regarding all-cause mortality.

We found no evidence that following a vegetarian diet, semi-vegetarian diet or a pesco-vegetarian diet has an independent protective effect on all-cause mortality.

Personally I do beleive diet is important up to a point. However, there are probably a ton of things more important such as exercise, Rapamycin, sleep, etc…

Just as long as you aren’t eating too much crap.

5 Likes

It says there was no statistical significance. What they mean with what you cited is that they found no evidence, not evidence to the contrary (with your statement that it doesn’t matter).

Saying diet have similar all cause mortality is missing the mark, as (1) no statistical significance (2) it is an observational study (3) clearly we know from how apoB is influenced by diet how each diet will affect all cause mortality

Michael gregor has pushed a lot of psuedoscience.

3 Likes

Yes, observational studies are weaker than RCTs. That being said, most diet analysis is through observational studies.

So that leaves us with observational studies which are better than anecdotal evidence. If something is shown to have no statistical significance, that means it’s a non factor. Pick a diet you like that is relatively healthy and you’ll do just fine.

I’m picking a pesco-semi-carnivore diet with a lot of vegetables for myself. Or what I like to call a balanced diet.

2 Likes

There are plenty of RCT’s of diet composition (or even diet, like the Med), and health status like lipids.

Please post some of them here and I’ll take a look at them.

Diet composition (dietary fat) and lipoproteins, the best one is Mensik from 2016:

Vegetarian or vegan diets:

1 Like

To be honest, I agree with you and personally believe a pesco-vegetarian diet is best.

1 Like

That is ridiculous. Denying whole food plant based food is the healthiest long term is like denying climate change. The evidence is overwhelming.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you’re referencing to when you’re saying I am denying WFPB.

Some of the flatulence that we experience could be a good thing. We read all the time about the how important the microbiome is, but what is it? Many of the gut microbes cannot be cultured; we don’t know which microbes are beneficial and which are harmful. Eating a 25 ounce porterhouse steak and allowing all that meat to ferment in the colon is probably a bad idea. Fermenting a bit of broccoli in the gut may produce vitamin k2 and other beneficial compounds. So we can eat our veggies and enjoy the jet propulsion with a clear conscience.

2 Likes

There certainly seems to be a lot of evidence that this is an essential component of a healthy diet.

1 Like

My food has been vegetarian or vegan since 1990, mostly for ethical/environmental reasons. The health benefits are a bonus. But I do occasionally take some animal-based supplements and feel conflicted about it.

1 Like

I just read this thread. The people here are quite reasonable compared to most internet based chatrooms. I enjoyed reading about the various approaches even though I had heard it all before, of course. I am searching for a path to a plant heavy diet with a lot of variety. I like all foods but I am lazy and don’t like to cook. I also like meat and fish and greek yogurt. And I have a powerful habit for eating high protein. My immediate solution is just to try to get better over time. Right now I’m increasing the number of different plants I eat every week (15–>20, targeting 30) and I’m eating a little less protein at every meal (200g/d -->150g/d, targeting 100g/d). Thanks for the fun!

4 Likes

Over the years I have been on a variety of diets. I can’t say that any particular diet made me feel better or that one gave any particular measured health benefits over another.
If you want to be a vegan, fine, if you want to be a carnivore, fine.
I think it is more important just to avoid junk food and maintain healthy body weight and exercise.
Personally, I am not a big veggie fan. Nothing wrong with them and I eat them, but I just don’t really like them. Potatoes and broccoli are the two main vegetables that I eat.
I eat meat most days, chicken, steak, pork, and hamburger in that order. My diet is varied but tends to be lower carb.
I consider myself at 82 to be in better health than most people and in great shape compared to most other 82-year-olds.

3 Likes

I’m honestly starting to think that diet plays little role in health, except how it alters lipids or something else concrete with a lot of evidence behind it.

Of course if we ignore vitamin/protein/EFA/calorie deficiencies.

Most important might be pharmaceutical drugs.

3 Likes

With the exception of rapamycin raising my lipid levels, mine have been almost directly proportional to my BMI. There are some people who have certain metabolic disorders or illnesses that make for the exception, but for the most part, lower BMI means lower cholesterol levels regardless of the diet.

3 Likes

Check into the impact of nitric oxide on health, and how diet is critical to NO as we age. I’m looking into this right now myself.

2 Likes

I have looked into that before. Even if that was the case, you could just take a supplement. It would also be easier and cheaper than chewing on arugula, for example.

2 Likes