How many are whole food plant based for longevity?

Have you ever tried buckwheat as substitute for rice? It’s delicious if cooked with a clove of garlic and mixed with veggies (shredded carrots, beets, onion, pieces of asparagus).

5 Likes

Hmm I will try that, I did eat it previously without salt but that was hard I didn’t mix it with anything though. It’s one way to get whole grains. I can’t do whole grain rice because of arsenic, and it would be helpful to diversify my carbohydrate sources.

I love rice and olive oil, which makes a savory combination with vegetable broth and fried tofu. My favorite is black-and-white Forbidden Rice, available at Whole Foods.

2 Likes

When you cook buckwheat, it’s 2 parts of water to 1 part of buckwheat for the best results.

2 Likes

No, I wasn’t responding to you. I was charting my evolution. If your diet appeals to you, I’d be silly to object.

Been Vegan for three years. Did so after both my parents passed (aggressive prostate cancer and stroke). Have been in the best shape of my life. I had my hip resurfaced 3 months ago and tried pescatarian to see if it would aid in healing and bone growth. I did it for two weeks and stopped because I felt like worse and researched wound healing. Fasting and veggie have a lot of science that supports faster healing.

I was a 5 year paleo heavy carnivore prior to
Going vegan and was also in good shape then. My blood bio-numbers were good then and better now. Just have to supplement with some bcaa and b12 and keep an eye on carbs. Acarbose helps there if you are not disciplined.

4 Likes

WFPB, with a small amount of fish 2x/wk as only animal food, since 2012. Light on animal for many years prior. Agree on the science. Not that it means much but my Levin Phenoage consistently puts me in low 50s last couple of years since I started using it. Just turned 69. I have some age-related issues though, so just consider this one of many markers to track. Exercise moderately almost every day, including a minimum of 5 miles of walking, which I think needs to go along with a good diet. TRE 16/8 for over 7 years, and more recently more disciplined about not eating within 2 hrs of bedtime (3 is ideal for me) and very little alcohol last couple of years, both of which has improved sleep (my Achilles heel) a lot. I look forward to trying Rapa soon, once I figure out what markers to measure and settle on a dose.

2 Likes

You’re right about farting more on a vegetarian diet. It helps to take five or six enzyme tablets at the start of every meal. But for every steak or burger I don’t eat in a year, there’s one less cow releasing methane gas. I do like Dr. Praeger burgers, one of which has a hefty 20 grams of protein.

1 Like

Longevity studies are hard to track, @Victoria24, but there is widespread agreement that vegetarians have one of the healthiest diets, which should correlate with longer years.

1 Like

Thanks Tim, I’ve never tried those. Is it this one?

1 Like

I didn’t want to get into stuff like this, I just wanted to see how many of us here are plant based.
Studies, the science is pretty solid. For example the adventist health study. The vegans of Loma Linda have exceptional healthspan and are a good group to study as they are ethnically diverse.

We also have the track record from the blue zones who are all heavy plant oriented.

3 Likes

If, however, farts are substantially more H2 than other gases and there is an advantage to having molecular H2 from the perspective of neutralising the HO• hydroxyl radical should we not aim to increase intestinal gas as long as it does not smell.

1 Like

There’s a chapter in my book, Age Well and Feel Great: The Proven Path to Solving the Aging Puzzle, titled: Meat Eaters or Vegetarians - Which Is Right?

I had lots of fun writing that chapter! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, @Neo, that’s one their high-protein veggie burgers. They have several. I love them all.

1 Like

You asked a good question, @Victoria24, but once it’s launched, no matter how carefully worded, a thread will go where it goes.

3 Likes

The fart topic is funny. And inaccurate.
Of course you will fart a lot if you just switched and you have the microbiome of a meat eater who is not used to fibre.
I don’t fart much at all and I eat legumes three times a day in some form plus tons of veggies, fruits and nuts.
I poop a lot though :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I am much more plant-based after becoming interested in longevity. I supplement with whey protein. I still eat red meat on occasion, but I try not to. I am trying to eat more fish.

2 Likes

I am 100% plant based zero oil. Work out 7 days week. Run 40 miles week lift weights 5 days week. 62.

1 Like

Whats zero Oil? You don’t take any virgin Olive oil? What about Avocado or Coconut oil? All three are good for you. I take a spoonfull of organic virgin olive oil a day and a spoon full of Nordic Naturals a day. Stuff has lots of Omega 3 in it. Also has lemon taste so no fishy. Im 75 and bike ride 90 to 120 minutes outdoors at least four days a week. It helps with my energy. Also taking Rapa compound formula from Agelessrx along with Metformin. On days I bike ride I only take one Metformin in the evening. Still have plenty of energy so can’t complain. My goal is to be bike riding into my 80s and beyond. Was riding this past winter in 30 degree temps thanks to very little snow this year. Summers coming so I’ll try to get out earlier to beat the heat.
I love the freedom of riding out in the country where the corn is starting to come up.

2 Likes

Different strokes.

There is a school of thought (am not a follower) which advocates avoiding all oils, except that which is occurring in food (nuts, avocado, etc.). One of them is Michael Greger MD.

1 Like