Help with setting up an N=1 study

Hi Krister, I just saw the post about your study. If I was doing this, I would follow what Bryan Johnson is doing, because why re invent the wheel? He has publicly shared everything he is doing, from testing to diet, on is website to encourage others to do their own experiment, and even compete with him. I think it’s great, if you have the $$ to play in that league :smile:

3 Likes

Hehe, if I would have the resources and money that Bryan has then it would be interesting. Is there different levels to follow his protocol? Things get crazy complex when many longevity interventions are stacked on top of each other. I need to interview Bryan to the rapamycin podcast :pray:

2 Likes

I don’t get why people want to copy what Bryan Johnsson or other famous non-scientists are doing. It makes little sense since he is no expert on how to slow down or reverse aging. He’s just getting a lot of media attention. The major use I see in looking at what Bryan is doing is that it gives a lot of ideas of things that might be interesting to look into.

1 Like

I don’t see Bryan is a one man’s show. He is surrounded by experts who help him and work in optimizing his protocol. The thing that I like with Bryan is that he does this openly and shares his insights with the general public. I don’t believe he is someone who people should follow blindly but he has an interesting approach which I have not seen anyone doing before. I wanted to do a big N=1 study on me but it cost to much 20 000$ for one year of my own test setup. This was before I knew anything about Bryan. It’s the testing part that I really like. It’s taking it to the next level.

3 Likes

I got you. The testing part should be the most legit of what he is doing because he has specific doctors that are experts at testing various different things even though probably none of them have much knowledge specific to life-extension. The regimen is more questionable and based on data that is open to different interpretation. So for people interested in his regimen I think it’s wiser to look at the sources that determine his, rather than looking at his regimen. As an example, it looks like his main advisor on supplements and drugs and his regimen is Oliver Zolman so a wise thing to do would be to look at what Oliver recommends and whether that is reasonable and trustworthy.

I admire your ambitions on your N=1 trial. It’s not easy to do because there are so many things to think about with respect to deciding what is best to test for such a trial.

3 Likes

Nothing of what is is doing is particularly novel. It is simply that he is following a number of protocols that are reasonably well known.

3 Likes

Yes, and the fact that he is documenting it in the open in front of a large audience.

1 Like