Help with setting up an N=1 study

Perhaps this?

3 Likes

thatā€™s missing LH and FSH

3 Likes

I think there is a market for broader panels.

2 Likes

I have done a rough sketch over the rapamycin trial Iā€™m going to set up. Here is the first version of it. Have I missed something or something that should be removed or anything else? All feedback welcome both good and bad.

3 Likes

Why placebo, you canā€™t blind yourself, you know what you are taking

3 Likes

You can blind both the physician and yourself just by fixing placebo pills from for example Pfizer. This way I will be my own control which is really nice.

1 Like

So you have placebos? Rapamune looks quite distinct

2 Likes

I have not got the placebo pills yet but Iā€™m quite sure Pfizer can provide them. I will contact them next week and discuss this with them. Most likely the placebo pills are much more expensive than the real ones :smiley:

2 Likes

I would get data for methylation patterns on your DNA. Look at some of the companies that run comprehensive collection of epigenetic reports. The more comprehensive reports include telomere length measurements, intrinsic and extrinsic age calculations, improvements to report accuracy through immune cell subset deconvolution, current pace of ageing, disease risk reports and more. Lifestyle advice is also included, as well as the studies behind each suggestion.

3 Likes

Is this connected to the epigenetic clocks because that is something which will be included in the trial. But there are quite many out there. Any special that is really good to do?

Here is the latest test data that I will gather in the trial

1 Like

I have tried a few epigenetic age clocks, but I am really unsure about their merits. They measure something, but although it is linked to biological age I donā€™t think it is. It identifies a status of the body at a particular time, but in quite an erratic manner.

I watched this video interview yesterday:

I have placed the URL at the point at which methylation clocks are discussed. I think his points are correct. Additionally there are the points I posted previously about the technical problems with methylation clocks.

Too many of the methylation clock people ask your chronological age. Some do it initially some before you get a result.

I do have one methylation clock reading I have paid for, but not yet used. I may use that, but I donā€™t think I am going to pay for another methylation clock reading. I donā€™t think it is sufficiently meaningful.

On the other hand if you have plenty of cash then it is another thing you can get as a result, but I think the hype is overblown.

Functional tests and biomarkers, however, are a good thing.

Incidentally I think it is worth listening to the whole of the video above.

2 Likes

Do a coronary calcium scan now, and 2 years later. Thereā€™s good evidence of intimal and medial calcium scores (CACS) regressing under rapa. Eat natto every day, too, and roll it back! (maybe).

3 Likes

I saw total/free testosterone drop significantly. Curious if that is just temporary response and bounces back.

3 Likes

:+1: Any suggestions on good functional tests?

I talked to a women who does these types of scans and she didnā€™t recommend them to be taken to often because it has a radiation effect. Good suggestion but Iā€™m little bit worried about thinking it therefore.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have testosterone levels tracked in the blood tests that I will do :+1: Any thing else that was impacted?

There are lots. Very often the physical ones (like sitting on the floor and standing up again without assistance) tend to correlate with each other.

Grip strength is useful, but practicing does not necessarily improve longevity. More recently I have been watching insult repair timescales particularly from venopuncture.

1 Like

Mainly steroidal hormones and insulin. Will do follow up to see if it normalizes after initial ā€œshockā€.

1 Like

I have just paid for a second visia scan and what is helpful is that the system will provide numerical comparisons between the previous scan and the current one.

This gives an indication as to whether skin quality is improving, deteriorating or remaining static. Importantly it is objective and can form part of a broader functional measurement.

2 Likes

FWIW: Here is a site that has an interesting take on testing skin elasticity. I have seen this test before but have not seen a chart like this.

This chart is useful in that it can help you diagnose the condition of your skin.

My skin test age is ~30 years old. The time for my skin to bounce back is actually a little under 3 seconds. So, maybe rapamycin is doing something for my skin. I do use my rapamycin spray mixture all over my head and the back of my hands. Any part that is exposed to the sun.

HOW OLD IS YOUR SKIN? TAKE THE PINCH TEST.

by Dr. Alexis | Mar 5, 2021 | Longevity

How old is your skin? Take the pinch test. | Alexis Abramson, PhD.

4 Likes