Hearing loss and rapa

Hair cell destruction dt rapamycin in the ear in study on pubmed! This suggests that inhibition of mTOR by rapa will result in hearing loss? I was under the opposite opinion?

1 Like

Please post a link to the study you found so we know what you are talking about…

Yes - it seems to help from what I’ve seen: Rapamycin Delays Age-Related Hearing Loss (part 2)

1 Like

Rapamycin is an antifungal agent with immunosuppressive properties. Rapamycin inhibits the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) by blocking the mTOR complex 1 (mTORC1). mTOR is an atypical serine/threonine protein kinase, which controls cell growth, cell proliferation, and cell metabolism. However, less is known about the mTOR pathway in the inner ear. First, we evaluated whether or not the two mTOR complexes (mTORC1 and mTORC2, resp.) are present in the mammalian cochlea. Next, tissue explants of 5-day-old rats were treated with increasing concentrations of rapamycin to explore the effects of rapamycin on auditory hair cells and spiral ganglion neurons. Auditory hair cell survival, spiral ganglion neuron number, length of neurites, and neuronal survival were analyzed in vitro . Our data indicates that both mTOR complexes are expressed in the mammalian cochlea. We observed that inhibition of mTOR by rapamycin results in a dose dependent damage of auditory hair cells. Moreover, spiral ganglion neurite number and length of neurites were significantly decreased in all concentrations used compared to control in a dose dependent manner. Our data indicate that the mTOR may play a role in the survival of hair cells and modulates spiral ganglion neuronal outgrowth and neurite formation.

1 Like

I don’t know, but I am 82 with only mild hearing loss. Anecdotal of course, having taken rapamycin for ~2 years, subjectively my hearing seems to be improving.
And, the study was on rats, which doesn’t always translate to humans.

2 Likes

I find this a useful hearing test. Testing for high frequency and more consistent I find easier than a broader test.

I normally get 14kHz on this although I have on one occasion a few months ago got 15kHz.

3 Likes

Thanks, a good test.
Mine is currently 12kHz, which is better than I thought it would be. I did use a similar test about 2 years ago and as I recall the highest frequency that I could hear was less than 10kHz. I think I will take the test more often and try to keep a record of the results.

2 Likes