HDL cholesterol and dementia

Study that came out late last year which I saw at the time but didn’t get a lot of coverage.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanwpc/article/PIIS2666-6065(23)00281-X/fulltext

Basic summary is that HDL and dementia risk were positively correlated with the lowest risk being at an HDL<40mg/dl.

They used a variety of models to adjust and the dataset was the ASPREE trial. Average age was 75.

More editorialising by me: HDL has not been viewed as good cholesterol for a while and is viewed more neutrally however it came as a surprise to me that people outside of the normal HDL range (<40) had the lowest rates of dementia. There were differences between the groups which you can adjust for depending on which of the 5 models you think is best. The trend between HDL and dementia was there for all models.

5 Likes

Interesting. Another recent study with 10x more patients (184,367 vs 18,668) over a longer period of time (17y vs 6.3y) concluded that: Low- and High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Dementia Risk Over 17 Years of Follow-up Among Members of a Large Health Care Plan. This larger study was done by researchers from UCSF, while the one you cited was conducted by researchers from Monash University, the University of Western Australia, and the University of Iowa. I would tend to favor the larger study. In any case, they both agree that high HDL = bad.

6 Likes

I don’t have access to the study you linked so can’t see the methods and adjustments etc they used. The ASPREE dataset is well regarded and as it is an interventional trial (on aspirin) the patient measurements are considered accurate (size isn’t everything ;)). Agree that high HDL carries risk but the surprise to me was that HDL lower than the reference range was protective (ASPREE). In the study you linked both low and high HDL were linked to increased dementia risk but without looking at the adjustments, and group differences it is hard to come to a conclusion.

Do you have access to the study?

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see stratified by APOE4 status, as John Kastelein has an interesting story that apoA1 can take over the damaged functions of apoe in the brain. Hence apoA1 / HDL might be able to attenuate Alzheimer’s risk in apoe4 carriers.

https://www.newamsterdampharma.com/therapeutic-areas#alzheimers

1 Like

I agree with you. No, I don’t have access to it, sorry.

1 Like

The associations between HDL-C levels and incident dementia are presented in Table 2. In the group with very high HDL-C levels (>80 mg/dL) the rate of incident dementia was 81 events per 10,000 person-years compared to 69 events per 10,000 person-years amongst those with an HDL-C of 40–60 mg/dL.

<40 mg/dl	40–60 mg/dl	60–80 mg/dl	>80 mg dl

No. of participants 1770 8091 6098 2709
Incident dementia (n, %) 74 (4.2) 353 (4.4) 284 (4.7) 139 (5.1)
Rate/10,000 person-year 67 (53–83) 69 (62–77) 73 (65–82) 81 (68–96)

Eleven more incidents per 10,000 person/years.

3 Likes

Another reason to acknowledge that “ideal range” for biomarkers today are based on what is common, not what is best.

2 Likes

This is here? #255 ‒ Latest therapeutics in CVD, APOE’s role in Alzheimer’s disease and CVD, familial hypercholesterolemia, and more | John Kastelein, M.D., Ph.D. - Peter Attia

1 Like

It is still very common for people to think higher hdl is better

1 Like

Yes, it is also in the link I showed, and CETP inhibition / loss of function is interesting to look at genetically and pharmaceutically since it increases HDL / apoA1 massively.

1 Like

here you go:

wnl.0000000000207876.pdf (583.3 KB)

6 Likes

Thank you! Also ruined my evening, I was going to watch True Detective!

3 Likes

I can only hope True Detective turns out to be half as good as Fortitude.
I just loved the anti-aging plot and the guy who played the sheriff was brilliant :star_struck:

3 Likes

Any sense what made the market increase it’s bullishness on them:

They are communicating about the AD potential here, but not mentioning anything about the next clinical step:

https://ir.newamsterdampharma.com/news-releases/news-release-details/newamsterdam-pharma-announces-2024-strategic-priorities

2 Likes

Lol this conversation september last year, so it has doubled in a couple months. It crashed by 40% between Sep Oct too.

That’s very good.
But no I have no clue.

1 Like