Has Anyone Seen a Rise in Blood Pressure Using Rapamycin?

@AnUser @Tomnook @scta123 @John_Hemming @Bicep

Do you guys have protocols / strategies to optimize your blood pressure and/pr connect it to interventions (eg SGLT2i)?

Or are you mostly seeing this as part of your “early warning system” like cancer screening?

@ConquerAging thoughts on aktiia 24/7 blood pressure monitor?

@Neo I don’t know but now I have a way to measure interventions to get optimal BP.

2 Likes

I have just done my third calibration which had the cuff saying aktiia 137/90 vs omron 125/75-61, 128/73-58, 128/74-58. I should have measured with Omron both before and afterwards, but have no reason to believe that Omron would have measured anything different. Looking at Mean Arterial Pressure that is 105.7, 91.7, 91.3, 92.

I don’t know about Omrons but I use Boso, which is the gold standard in continental Europe for blood pressure measuring devices and my comes with a need to be calibrated at least every two years.
In most European countries you can calibrate your cuff in pharmacies or at least get it tested for accuracy. If your device is older than two years I would go and have it checked. At the same time you can check your Aktiia cuff for accuracy.

Diastolic is a 15 point difference, this is extremely unlikely (5% probability) so there might be something wrong with a device you have if you get it over and over. I would think it is the aktiia, maybe they could troubleshoot it?

I first became aware for the need of BP measurements early in life, when I always had elevated BP when measured at my doctors. But I was not systematic in measuring. I started to hear more about BP here, PA podcast etc. i started doing manual measurements by protocol that lasted two weeks every three months, taking three readings a day. It was a nuisance and when I heard about Aktiia I wanted it. I would like to wear it for a period (maybe a month) to see what is happening to my BP in real everyday life. I want to keep my BP as low as possible.
I am contemplating SGLT2 inhibitors or betablocker to keep blood pressure lower, but I am not sure of both. SGLT2 scare me about possible RED syndrome, since I workout daily and practice CR(ON) and there will be a question of calories in/out… SGLT2 also come with potential for euglycaemic ketoacidosis, serious overlooked complication.
Betablockers seem good but there is a question of lowering maximum HR and probably impossible to train your your hart optimally. I like to do sprints couple of times a week.

But first I would like to wear it for a month or two to see where I am, if there is any problems with my BP and decide if I want to continue just as monitoring or do I want to take any interventions to try and lower my BP.

I have a number of Omrons some are new some are older. I tend to get the same sort of result (ie not a 15mmHg variance).

Hey AnUser, I don’t-I use an Omron, which was relatively cheap (< $30USD)

2 Likes

:+1:, this device takes so many measurements automatically and 24/7, during night time as well. It is comparable to an ambulatory 24/7 blood pressure monitor but without being invasive. Like a CGM but for blood pressure, but much less expensive as it works for at least 2 years.

Getting datapoints throughout the day and night seems very important to me to get as close to the true exposure to optimal or non-optimal BP over longer periods, but I don’t know if you agree.

1 Like

In this case maybe your Aktiia cuff is really off and needs to be replaced? Since it initiates the bracelet sensor probably all measurements are off… I would certainly go and check Omron and Aktiia cuff in pharmacy and possibly get a new cuff from Aktiia if necessary.

I think you are right in that if the calibration is 10mmHg too high then its measurements are likely to be the same. However, I am OK with using it to see what the variations are from its own measurements. If I assume it is 10mmHg too high then I can live with that if the 10mm variation is constant.

I have enough Omrons that I use to be comfortable that it is not just one device.

I prefer low-tech sometimes-the Omron doesn’t do any of that, but that’s ok (to me). I like manually entering the data into a spreadsheet…

As long as it has a cuff, its long-term reliability should be decent

I record it at the same time of day, 5-6 measurements within a 30-minute window, and 4-5h after eating. Would there be greater value in measuring throughout the day? Maybe…

6 Likes

The cuff is used for calibration every month, the measurement is done with photoplethysmography and it is 0.4 (mean) ± 7 mmHg (1 SD) accurate compared with gold standard while sitting down.

Night time BP apparently has a higher correlation to CVD risk than daytime BP as well:

You’re in a league of your own. Us mortals will barely able to make ourselves measure it once a week when doing it manually. :rofl:

1 Like

If your BP is in the normal range what is the value of obsessing over it?
I really do not understand why people with normal BP think there is some value in constantly measuring it.
It would be nice if the people who are constantly measuring their BP would point to some research that it is a good thing to do, I would appreciate some references.

IMO: If you have normal blood pressure there is no value in constantly measuring it except for curiosities sake.

Normal does not mean optimal.

If someone has an optimal BP all the time, year after year, yeah then there might not be a point in measuring it.

Aktiia does it automatically for me, there is very few reason not to measure it then even if it is optimal (which mine isn’t).

1 Like

As you constantly criticize others for not furnishing proof for their statements, saying the burden of proof is on them, please furnish some proof that constant monitoring of BP is of any benefit.

I wear it because it’s a convenient way to measure BP and pulse pressure 24/7 - after 3 years of use and monthly comparisons with my Omron device I’m satisfied that the Aktiia readings compare well.
I do take multiple supplements which in theory contribute to satisfactory BP however I haven’t a clue which really help. The most significant reductions to my original 160/100 came with sodium restriction, avoiding liquorice and ramipril - and maybe increasing water intake.
I recently started taking 12.5mg Jardiance however a recent blood test showed HCT marginally above the range max so I’ll test again in a couple of weeks and see if it remains high (I was recenty treating a mouth ulcer with Doxy though so maybe it was after effects of that.)

3 Likes

See this:

First rhing every morning for 6 years.
I step on scales for my weight before popping into the shower.

Last 3 years… my range always in the 182 to 185 pounds.

Maybe it is reassuring that health is present… consistency.

Always check my blood/pressure at Walmart on that automatic machine by the pharmaceutical dept. after gym on the way home. Again…reassuring. All normal.

1 Like

My blood pressure is normal (systolic 86-114, and diastolic 59-77 range over past month), yet I monitor my blood pressure continuously. I don’t obsess over it, but it’s nice to know…you never know what you might find, especially when you add new drugs to your stack.

I can’t point to any research papers but I do know I’d rather have too much information than not enough.

2 Likes