Getting sick more on rapamycin

I’ve been taking Rapa (6mg/wk) for ~8 months or so. I’ve noticed I’m A LOT more prone to colds and other illnesses, am I alone?

• Sinus infection that lasted 3.5 weeks, bedridden for a week of it sweating through the sheets, etc until i went to the dr
  • Stye that lasted for a month
  • 4 respiratory illnesses that lasted ~3-7 days each that affected me to the point of taking a day off from work
1 Like

It’s a “normal” reaction if you are taking too much and over suppress your immune system. Reduce the dose, have longer breaks.

1 Like

Welcome to the community!
I think the quick story here is that your humoral immunity can be knocked down while until the first couple of days post Rapamycin. So bacterial infections are increased - and should be treated early.

Viral infections in general should be a bit less as your T cell immunity should usually do better, which includes fighting viral infections and identifying malignancies.

That has been my experience on this. If you’ve gotten more colds - it could simply be bad luck.

1 Like

Did you have any blood testing prior to starting? I would see an immunologist for an immune work up. CBC, IgG, A, M, E; MBL, flow cytometry, specific titers, delayed hypersensitivity, etc. etc.
It’s possible that you had some minor subclinical immunodeficiency like mild neutropenia or common IgA deficiency that was exacerbated by adding a systemic immunosuppressant.
I would definitely would stop rapamycin unless it was prescribed for a specific reason by a physician.

1 Like

Don’t r/o simple coincidence. It has been a nasty winter for viral infections.

2 Likes

I have had a very bad cough diagnosed as parainfluenza, a virus. I Started getting sick 4 days after my 10mg Rapa dose.I discontinued the Rapa for the past two week because I was really sick and at first didn’t know why. I amFinally starting to feel better. When should I resume? Thanks

As much as Rapa seems to improve immunity toward viral infections, if you get significantly sick from a virus, it can knock your defenses down and make it more likely that you get a secondary bacterial infection. The risk with taking Rapa while significantly ill could be to potentially delay or blunt your immune response to a bacterial infection, in the rare event one occurred while you were unwell.
My personal approach is that if I have a trivial viral infection, and don’t feel systemically unwell, this doesn’t influence my dosing and wouldn’t be a trigger to skip or alter a dose.
A cautious approach would be to at least make sure you are back to feeling mostly well, even if still having a bit of cough before dosing again. Safety is the first principle.
Any concerns should have you get a quick review by your doctor to make sure you are back to your usual state of health.

3 Likes

I have been on a relatively high weekly dose of rapamycin for 2 ½ plus years and I have had zero viral or bacterial infections during that time despite daily exposure to crowds at grocery stores, social groups, and the gym.
There is ample evidence that rapamycin is both anti-viral and anti-cancer.

"Antiviral Potential of Rapamycin
Overview
Rapamycin, also known as sirolimus, is an immunosuppressant drug that has shown promising antiviral potential against various viral infections, including COVID-19, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), and others. The antiviral properties of rapamycin are attributed to its ability to modulate the mechanistic target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathway, which plays a crucial role in viral replication and protein synthesis.

Mechanism of Action
Rapamycin inhibits the mTOR Complex 1 (mTORC1) and mTOR Complex 2 (mTORC2), which are involved in various cellular processes, including protein synthesis, cell growth, and metabolism. By inhibiting these complexes, rapamycin can potentially disrupt viral replication and protein synthesis, thereby exerting its antiviral effects.

Antiviral Potential Against COVID-19
Several studies have evaluated the potential of rapamycin as a therapeutic option for COVID-19. Rapamycin has been found to have a greater binding affinity towards the N-protein of SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for COVID-19, suggesting its potential to inhibit viral replication. Additionally, rapamycin’s anti-aging and anti-obesity effects may contribute to its efficacy against COVID-19, as the disease disproportionately affects older individuals and those with underlying conditions like obesity.

Antiviral Potential Against Other Viral Infections
Rapamycin has also shown promising antiviral potential against other viral infections, such as Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV). By targeting specific host intracellular pathways utilized by RSV for replication and protein synthesis, rapamycin may offer a potential therapeutic option for RSV infections."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9875782/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7541431/

1 Like

I definitely get sick less on rapamycin but I’ll skip a dose at the least illness or feeling unwell or just unusually tired. No sense making things worse in an effort to avoid losing out on a bit of hoped for life extension benefits.

1 Like