Genetic vs Epigenetic vs Real World: Some good news (an N of 1 experiment)

Turns out that I currently have a genetic (polygenic score) estimation of my cardiorespiratory fitness (VO2 max) predisposition as well as an epigenetic estimation (from TruDiagnostics) and a real VO2 max measurement from DexaFit.

The genetics predisposition is quite bad:

The epigenetic estimation is much better:

And then my real measured VO2max puts me in the top 5% of my age group.

I mean this is really interesting! You can start with a bad genetic predisposition (lowest 10%) suppress or express some genes and you end up in the upper 5%.

An impressive demonstration of the power of exercising. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Just curious what company/service you used for the polygenic score? I’ve used SelfDecode, but they just report below average, average, or above average predisposition.

Also - really cool results! My genetics aren’t conducive to longevity whatsoever, and this gives me hope.

1 Like

I used Nebula Genomics - 30x Whole Genome Sequencing - DNA Testing
They offer 4x, 30x and 100x full genome decoding.

2 Likes

Here is the detailed genetic report for those interested:

Researchers identified 14 variants associated with fitness levels, including variants near the genes THRB and MYH6. THRB encodes a receptor that can be bound by thyroid hormones, which helps regulate our growth, energy consumption, and other body functions. The MYH6 gene encodes a protein that helps the heart muscle contract.

YOUR DETAILED RESULTS
To calculate your genetic predisposition to cardiorespiratory fitness we summed up the effects of genetic variants that were linked to cardiorespiratory fitness in the study that this report is based on. These variants can be found in the table below. The variants highlighted in green have positive effect sizes and increase your genetic predisposition to cardiorespiratory fitness. The variants highlighted in blue have negative effects sizes and decrease your genetic predisposition to cardiorespiratory fitness. Variants that are not highlighted are not found in your genome and do not affect your genetic predisposition to cardiorespiratory fitness. By adding up the effect sizes of the highlighted variants (twice for homozygous variants) we calculated your polygenic score for cardiorespiratory fitness to be -0.47. To determine whether your score is high or low, we compared it to the scores of 5,000 other Nebula Genomics users. We found that your polygenic score for cardiorespiratory fitness is in the 10th percentile. This means that it is higher than the polygenic scores 10% of people. We consider this to be a low genetic predisposition to cardiorespiratory fitness.

So it seems that, with exercise and diet, I have up regulated some of the green variants and down regulated some of the blue ones.
Makes me think of the polygenic score as just the average predisposition base, from which you can go much higher or lower, which is good news.

1 Like

I have the trudiagnostic result on this:

Your VO2Max DNA methylation is

79.07% HIGHER

than other test takers who share your same calendar age.

Sadly, however, I don’t know my actual VO2Max.

OTOH

Your Gait Speed DNA methylation is

84.52% HIGHER

than other test takers who share your same calendar age.

I do walk quickly.

1 Like