Gain in Life Expectancy Due to Elimination of Cause of Death

P. D. Mangan Health & Freedom Maximalist

If all cancer were eliminated, the gain in average life expectancy would be only about 3 years.

For major cardiovascular diseases, about 5.5 years.

That’s because these diseases are largely diseases of aging, and if you don’t die from one, you’ll die from another.

For larger increases in life expectancy, we need to fight aging itself.

4 Likes

he’s a member here too: @PDM

1 Like

Did he post it on here? If so, I missed it…

MAJOR REASONS FOR MALE DEATH

• Viral hep (? Hep B/C/…)
  • HIV
  • chronic lower respiratory diseases
  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • cancer
  • heart disease
  • homicide
  • suicide
  • diabetes
  • stroke
  • COVID-19

Below are the top 10 causes of death, which accounted for 75.4% of all deaths.

Heart disease: 695,547
Cancer: 605,213
COVID-19: 416,893
Accidents: 224,935
Stroke: 162,890
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 142,342
Alzheimer’s disease: 119,399
Diabetes: 103,294
Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis: 56,585
Kidney disease: 54,358
1 Like

I plan to save for a full body scan and then get one every 5 years. Maybe my timing will be good and I’ll catch something early.

2 Likes

no but he saw your topic

That’s a very bad idea! Doing a full body scan with an a priori clinical suspicion of any disease besides being a waste of money will just lead to false positives and iatrogenic harm

I had to look up “iatrogenic harm.” I am not in the medical field. I don’t see how magnetic resonance is going to cause any harm. Yes, if I have false positives that would lead to iatrogenic harm, but what if on one of those 5 year scans they find something bad, manage to keep me alive and extend my healthspan and lifespan?

Medicine has allowed me to cheat death twice already. Appendix at 9yrs of age was about to burst and they managed to get to it in just the nick of time. After a mild heart attack at 57yrs of age they replaced my heavily calcified aortic valve and gave me a 3-way bypass.

Medicine has been pretty good to me so far.

1 Like

Sorry. In my reply above I forgot to hit the reply button.

@TBI-CHI Interesting. I also escaped death from a burst appendix when I was 9 years old. The appendix burst while I was waiting in the hospital, but fortunately they could save my life.

If I had lived 50 years earlier, I wouldn’t be here now.

1 Like

One of my aunts, now deceased, had a burst appendix and it really messed up her life for years.

I don’t think it messed my life up, and I can’t attribute anything negative to that experience except the emotional trauma of going through it. Maybe because I was so young my body recovered quicker? I’m just glad to be alive.

1 Like

What’s the original source for this table, @DeStrider ?

I got it from @PDM X feed. You can ask him there.