Foamy Urine or Bubbles in Urine after taking Rapamycin?

A side effect I have noticed is bubbles in my urine after taking Rapamycin. As a man I do see my urine basically every time. Unusually foamy urine has caught my attention several times.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it something I should be concerned about?

Quick googling suggests bubbles in urine can be a result of protein in the urine. That suggests kidney disease. However, I’m not sure what level of bubbles they’re referring to.

I’m not talking merengue levels of bubbles. More like barely soapy dish water. A single level of relatively large bubbles perhaps the size of a pencil eraser or a little smaller.

Sorry for the detail but it seems useful to be clear what I’m experiencing.

This is more than usual, by a degree of probably 2-3x.

Does anyone have any similar experiences, or have any opinions or advice.

1 Like

That is highly unusual in my experience. I’ve never seen anything like this in the past 3 years of rapamycin use. Perhaps some other issue or factor?

2 Likes

It looks like some form of blood test is in order.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll watch closely and see if I can correlate this effect with another input.

I’ve had it twice, but I suspect it may be due to factors other than rapamycin or SGLT2 inhibitors. Will be more watchful for the next time it happens.

1 Like

When is the last time you had blood work done through your doctor? It’s possible your doctor would want testing done before you take it again.

If you live in the USA and have Labcorp labs in your area, you could order your own blood and urine tests in advance. And make an appointment at the lab in advance to coincide with the usual onset of foamy urine after rapamycin.

If you’re looking for suggestions on what to test, this would be my suggestion:

Albumin/creatinine ratio, urine. $25
Urinalysis, routine. $5
CBC. $8.50
Comprehensive metabolic panel. $8.50

(Fasting required).

Those are the prices through Marek Health.

If you only have Quest Diagnostics in your area, you could use a site like Ulta Lab Tests or Walkinlab.

If it shows anything out of range, consult with your doctor.

1 Like

Not sure I see a need for anything more than a urinalysis to start.

2 Likes