Flu Vaccine and Alzheimers

I read about this study (see Flu Vaccination Linked to 40% Lower Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease).

Research Paper:

I never get the flu vaccine and never have gotten the flu…but perhaps I should rethink getting this vaccine?

5 Likes

I tell all my patients to get the flu vaccine (haven’t seen one with contraindications yet) and I take it every year at October (late Oct to be specific). There is strong evidence that it protects against heart disease.

But some people are stubborn, some people think it doesn’t work just because they got it anyways, it’s better to get sick from the flu “naturally”, rather wait for it to hit the area and get it (too late since antibodies take time to make, it doesn’t work right away), already vaccinated last year so don’t need it, and some people think it can give you the flu etc etc.

I can count so many times where people think they know better. The flu vaccine is really one of the biggest no-brainers any way you slice it with extremely rare exceptions and it’s literally free of charge - yet there are enough people who won’t take it that it is a fairly common issue.

6 Likes

RapAdmin and MAC, curious your thoughts on Flu Vaccine?

1 Like

I’ve had the flu once in the past 6 or 7 years or so, so while I completely support flu vaccinations and encourage my parents to get them (and they do, regularly) but I only sporadically get the flu vaccine just because I don’t feel I’ve had much risk. But this new information related to Alzheimers will likely (after I’ve reviewed it in more depth) make me more rigorous with my getting the flu vaccine.

5 Likes

As far as I can remember, I’ve never had the flu and have never taken a flu shot. Although AD prevention is a cornerstone of my interventions, and a reason I took the Shingrix vaccine (shingles). Although the study above has some confounders, I see no reason to not add a flu shot as yet another add on. I will be getting this year. Also tripled MRNA vaxxed, getting my fourth just before fall. This COVID virus is nasty, can penetrate the CNS.

There’s a huge body of evidence implicating viral as precipitator of Alzheimer type dementia.

4 Likes

Will you take a break from Rapa prior to your Flu-vax? I know you said you got the shingles shot after you were off Rapa for a couple of weeks and no negative side effects.

1 Like

Flu vaccine is a complete scam, plus it contains aluminum which is a big no no for Alzheimer’s prevention.

why would you say so?

What a sweeping statement.

There is no evidence that aluminum causes Alzheimer’s

This is a continuing myth from the 1960’s

“In 1965, researchers found that rabbits injected with an extremely high dose of aluminium developed toxic tau tangles in their brains. This led to speculation that aluminium from cans, cookware, processed foods and even the water supply could be causing dementia.”

Flu shots are very effective.

I have had a flu shot annually for over 40 years and I have never had the flu or developed Alzheimer’s (82 yrs. old)

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/metals-and-dementia#:~:text=Although%20aluminium%20has%20been%20seen,Alzheimer’s%20disease%20has%20been%20established.

6 Likes

I wonder if it’s correlation or causation for flu vaccines. I have an elderly family member I’ve mentioned this evidence for, they’ve never taken flu vaccines and unfortunately it seems like their cognition have been declining recently, and onset of dementia is coming on.

Reality has its say in the end.

1 Like

My physician cautions my getting the flu vaccine because of aluminum content. I believe the flu vaccine like the C19 vaccine doesn’t prevent infection. I believe this is yet another money making opportunity/scam for big pharma.

1 Like

Wtf

Causal evidence that herpes zoster vaccination prevents a proportion of dementia cases

2 Likes

I didn’t even know there was herpes virus vaccines. Need a list of all the vaccines targeting herpesviruses. Gotta read up on this. The herpesviruses causing MS and now this if everything checks out with the preprint.

Here is the twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/PGeldsetzer1/status/1661776663074738176

Seems almost any vaccine can impact incidence of Alzheimer.

" In a new study whose results appeared in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease , researchers found that several vaccines commonly given to adults were similarly linked to a decreased likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s disease.

Scientists from the Neurocognitive Disorders Center at McGovern Medical School in Houston, TX, explained that both their team and other experts in the field hypothesize that the immune system could be responsible for instigating dysfunction in brain cells in Alzheimer’s disease."

2 Likes

Can’t wait for the EBV vaccine. It could prevent multiple sclerosis: Antibodies fighting Epstein-Barr virus could misfire and trigger multiple sclerosis, new study shows

As of 2023: “There are now three EBV vaccines in the pipeline. Moderna is using the mRNA platform it used for its COVID-19 vaccines for EBV in phase 1 clinical trials across the US. The US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases launched an early-stage clinical trial to evaluate an investigational preventative vaccine, and Hank Balfour, professor of laboratory medicine and pathology at the University of Minnesota, is also working on an EBV vaccine.”

1 Like

Really I am not trying to start a debate on the efficacy of mRNA vaccines, but I am a little wary of them based on anecdotal evidence and my own reaction to the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.
Since mRNA vaccine technology is relatively new, there could be unforeseen long-term risks that have not yet become apparent.

1 Like

Nobody is tracking long-term risks of anything, including the older vaccines.
And there’s never been a case in the history of medicine where a treatment caused negative side effects 10 or 20 years later, as long as it wasn’t radioactive.

See this video by Mathematician and Scholar Nassim Taleb, who is an expert about risk and he explains why mathematically there won’t be side-effects later on, in the long-term.

3 Likes

There already exists anti-virals that probably will prevent EBV infection if taken prophylatically, maybe Valaciclovir. I haven’t double-checked, though…