Fisetin - The Mayo Clinic Senolytics Protocol?

Please let us know your results! It will be interesting to see how effective it is in humans!

2 Likes

You mean 10 capsules every day for 3 days - as 10 is undivisible by 3, so in other words, 3x10 = 30 capsules = 4,5g fisetin?. Liposomal supplements are suposed to be absorbed up to 20 times better than regular supplements. Even if that claim is, let’s say, 100% over estimated, so ‘only’ 10 times better absorbed, you are then taking 45g. fisetin, right?.

1 Like

Yes, I am taking 1.5g/day or 4.5g liposomal fisetin over 3 days, once ever 28 days.

While some Liposomal supplements may be 20 times better, that only applies to supplements with normally very poor bioavailability. Liposomal supplements have 70-95% bioavailability, so to be 20x better the regular version must have 4% or less bioavailability. Fisetin is estimated to have 30% bioavailability, so you are getting at most 3x better absorption with Lipo Fisetin. But the other benefit with Lipo Fisetin is that it seems to increase the half life to 12 hours, which I am hoping will even out the plasma levels, effectively turning it into an extended release version.

3 Likes

I know it is a little off topic, but I ordered some fisetin online from GB and it is being held by customs in EU on claim that is is possibly a medicine. Does anyone know how is fisetin regulated in EU? I could not find anything, but noticed that Swanson and Life Extension do sell it on their EU sites, Doctor’s best is also widely available. I mainly ordered it from GB as the price was good, but also the dosage was much higher and seller has GMP certificate, which in my opinion is (the only) good option when buying supplements.

1 Like

Hmmm…it is an over the counter supplement… strawberry seeds basically. Can buy on Amazon.

2 Likes

I use the Life Extension brand. They claim up to 25 times greater bioavailability.

2 Likes

FWIW

Any company/individual can make claims.

The only way to know is to measure!

2 Likes

Enhanced bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of a novel hybrid-hydrogel formulation of fisetin orally administered in healthy individuals: a randomised double-blinded comparative crossover study

1 Like

Making claims? Yes, and they use “up to” which gives them a lot of leeway. That’s how the supplement industry goes. I’ll accept that rather than having the government getting involved. That said, Life Extension has been around many years so I use some of their products.

Review

"Molecular and Therapeutic Effects of Fisetin Flavonoid in Diseases"

Attached is a PDF copy
Molecular and Therapeutic Effects of Fisetin Flavonoid in Diseases.pdf (131.7 KB)

In Killifish…

A short dasatinib and quercetin treatment is sufficient to reinstate potent adult neuroregenesis in the aged killifish

The young African turquoise killifish has a high regenerative capacity, but loses it with advancing age, adopting several aspects of the limited form of mammalian regeneration. We deployed a proteomic strategy to identify pathways that underpin the loss of regenerative power caused by aging. Cellular senescence stood out as a potential brake on successful neurorepair. We applied the senolytic cocktail Dasatinib and Quercetin (D + Q) to test clearance of chronic senescent cells from the aged killifish central nervous system (CNS) as well as rebooting the neurogenic output. Our results show that the entire aged killifish telencephalon holds a very high senescent cell burden, including the parenchyma and the neurogenic niches, which could be diminished by a short-term, late-onset D + Q treatment. Reactive proliferation of non-glial progenitors increased substantially and lead to restorative neurogenesis after traumatic brain injury. Our results provide a cellular mechanism for age-related regeneration resilience and a proof-of-concept of a potential therapy to revive the neurogenic potential in an already aged or diseased CNS.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41536-023-00304-4

6 Likes

Unfortunately I think you are double counting by dividing the basic stuff by 3 and multiplying the lipo by 3. You can’t do both; it’s one or the other.

8mg is just that. It can’t turn into 24. It just isn’t diluted like the other one.
That’s just the way I see it.
I’m no expert on fisetin so I’ll let tananth take over from here and be the arbiter.

Update: A study states fisetin’s low bioavailability is 44,1%, not 30%. So BioFisetin’s enhanced bioavailability must be around 2x., following tananth’s calculations above.

I recommend anyone interested in senolytics to review the Rubbed presentation and commentary:

2 Likes

As Dr. George Church, fabulous genetist from Nebula recently stated in a video, ‘it is always too soon to say something’s impossible’. With this in mind, I wish there is already some group of scientists around looking for a biomarker to tell pro-aging senescent cells from those with an unrelated to age way of action (i.e. wound healing), regardless their celullar type. At first sight, SASPs could be one, but I don’t know about these secretory phenotypes leaving some sort of protein or marker over the emitting cell’s membrane to identify any age related senescent cell as their source, and therefore become a positive target for senolitics as fisetin or any other in the pipeline. Those scientists at Rubedo are a guaranty of future for efficient senolytics. Hope I’ll be on time yet to enjoy their benefits in the coming years.

3 Likes

Intermittent supplementation with fisetin improves arterial function in old mice by decreasing cellular senescence

“Overall, our findings provide the first evidence that oral intermittent fisetin supplementation reverses vascular endothelial dysfunction and large elastic artery stiffness through the suppression of excess cellular senescence, inflammation, and oxidative stress.”

Mahoney SA, Venkatasubramanian R, Darrah MA, et al. Intermittent supplementation with fisetin improves arterial function in old mice by decreasing cellular senescence. Aging Cell. Published online December 7, 2023. doi:10.1111/acel.14060

6 Likes

It kind of makes sense why it didn’t increase mouse life expectancy then. Mice die of cancer not heart attacks. Any cardiovascular improvement probably would not move the needle on lifespan. For humans however…

2 Likes

Senolytic Intervention Improves Cognition, Metabolism, and Adiposity in Female APPNL-F/NL-F Mice.

Senescent cells accumulate throughout the body and brain contributing to unhealthy aging and Alzheimer’s disease (AD). We hypothesized that senolytic intervention would alleviate cellular senescence thereby improving spatial memory in APPNL-F/NL-F mice.

METHODS: Male and female APPNL-F/NL-F mice were treated monthly with vehicle, 5 mg/kg Dasitinib (D) + 50 mg/kg Quercetin (Q), or 100 mg/kg Fisetin. Blood glucose levels, energy metabolism, spatial memory, and senescent cell markers were assayed.

RESULTS: D+Q treatment in female APPNL-F/NL-F mice increased oxygen consumption and energy expenditure resulting in decreased body mass. White adipose tissue content was decreased along with senescence markers, SASP, blood glucose, and plasma insulin and triglycerides. Hippocampal senescence markers and SASP were reduced along with soluble and insoluble Aβ42 and SA-β-gal activity leading to improved spatial memory.

DISCUSSION: Considering women have a greater risk of dementia, identifying senotherapeutics appropriate for sex and disease stage is necessary for personalized medicine.

3 Likes

The quest to turn back the clock

Approaches to slow or reverse aging have gained momentum in recent years, but the field is still in its infancy with hurdles to overcome, as illustrated by efforts to develop therapies that clear senescent cells.

As such companies progress with their diverse approaches to target senescence, they will encounter the challenges of running pivotal trials that contributed to the failure of Unity Biotechnology’s pioneering program, including identifying a suitable indication where their drugs result in meaningful improvements in a clinical endpoint that could provide the basis for approval. As the momentum and investment in the field of aging builds though, it is becoming increasingly likely that a breakthrough candidate will emerge. If so, there will be intense competition from larger companies to gain access to therapeutics that may indeed turn back the clock on aging.

Full article: The quest to turn back the clock