Extrapolation from Animal Experiments

I have been taking Rapamycin for approximately 6 months (5 mg weekly) and I’m 63 years old.

I’m normally very conservative about medical interventions, but the science seems very compelling and the risk/reward seems reasonable.

However, I’m left with a bit of doubt when I consider my risk/reward calculation, because the reward is so uncertain.

Has anyone calculated an approximation of the likely impact of intermittent Rapamycin treatment on humans?

What’s the likely life extension, given the animal models and the history of how animal experiments translate to humans?

3 Likes

Thats a hard question to answer… we really don’t have a good translational model for going from other model organisms (e.g. mice, etc.) to humans, in terms of longevity drugs. Rapamycin was really the first (and best) drug to do this in any significant way.

Here is something that may interest you: 80% of Longevity Experts Predict Significant Benefits for Rapamycin in Humans

and while the above poll doesn’t address the dosing issue, the benefit predicted by these longevity researchers and doctors overall, suggest somewhere between 5 years and 10+ years benefit.

4 Likes