Experiences with AMLA

Just ordered some Amla and am curious about the experiences of other folks.

How many grams do you take in a single serving? Do you take it daily? Once a day or more? Have you noticed any side effects, good or bad? If mixed in a smoothie, do you ever add additional ingredients? I am considering a smoothie with Amla and some collagen.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forum. I’ve not heard of AMLA before. I see some info on it here:

What research convinced you that its something you want to add to your smoothie - any information specifically?

1 Like

Dr Gregor (plant based eating fame) is very big on it (high ORAC score think). You can search his website: nutritionfacts.org

I would make sure you buy from reliable source ie one that tests for heavy metals as Indian supps, etc are known for being often contaminated.

Amla is one of the 3 plants in Triphala a traditional Ayurvedic (traditional Indian medicine) remedy which has been recommended for centuries.

2 Likes

FWIW…
Started 3 weeks ago taking caplets, 2 at the same time, once a day. Dose of each caplet is 600mg - 300mg amla powder stem{2% tannis, 7mg] and 250mg amla fruit extract{46% tannins, 112.5mg]
1,200mg a day total

The product I am using is/advertised/sold as Organic.

1 Like

I take an extract of amla called TrueCapros, which has been used in some of the published research. I’m taking other lipid-lowering meds (PCSK9 inhibitor and ezetimibe), but amla does seem to lower my lipids even further. I stopped it for a couple of months and just restarted it this month, and will getting new labs in a few weeks, so will be interesting to see once again if it has an additional effect over and above what I’m already doing.

1 Like

Check out Dr Grer on Amla

1 Like

I just started taking the same brand. Will check labs after a few months.

2 Likes

Any update on your labs?

I’m pretty sure Amla is responsible for cutting my liver values in half

AST from 46 to 20
ALT from 15 to 9

I take the Terrasoul brand https://www.amazon.com/Terrasoul-Superfoods-Organic-Powder-Amalaki/dp/B071CT2BLC/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=amla&qid=1679326263&sr=8-8

One teaspoon in the morning, one teaspoon in the evening

1 Like

My lipids are great but hard to say if it’s the Amla as I incorporate a number of protocols.

I’ve been taking about 1 teaspoon of amla per day in my smoothie for the past 9-10 years after being turned onto it by Dr. Greger. I don’t have any before/after data but have generally felt good the the entire time, and my LDL has been in the 50-60 range without taking any statins or anything.

I buy it by the pound from Banyan Botanicals. Triphala is another herb that has alma in it and I believe has higher antioxidant ability, but it’s also riskier from a heavy metals perspective, so I have stuck to amla.

In general, Dr. Greger has alwas been very pro-antioxidant, even after it hasn’t panned out to be a big longevity booster.

Amla supplementation lowered the concentration of the ‘bad cholesterol’ LDL, glucose levels early in the morning before breakfast and triglycerides. Amla also increased the concentration of the ‘good cholesterol’ HDL and at the same time reduced the activity of the inflammatory protein CRP.

All of these effects are beneficial.

1 Like

I have been using Swanson 500 mg full spectrum Amla Fruit and take it twice daily. It’s been a little over two years now, and I cannot tell you exactly what effect it has had on me, but I remember adding it to my regimen as it supposedly promotes liver health and reduces cholesterol levels. My bloodwork is optimal, so either it is working, or something else is.

2 Likes