Expansion of rapamycin-prescribing clinics in the future?

@rivasp12 you randomly crossed my mind today when I was thinking about my future in medicine (MS3 here). Am I correct that you’re an internist? In primary care? I’m curious what sort of additional evidence would need to come out for you to start prescribing rapamycin to your patients.

I’m considering primary care, and realized that it’s possible in 5 years that prescribing rapamycin won’t be as much of a liability if there’s a little bit more data available. Obviously Alan Green does it but I think he’s a bit of an outlier.

Totally fine if you don’t want to discuss it, but I thought it was worth asking.

5 Likes

Yes, I’m primary care internal medicine.

Generally, I’m willing to take on certain risks for myself that I wouldn’t for my patients. I owe it to them as their provider to have good human evidence of both efficacy and safety. This would pertain to any drug, not just rapamycin, and I’d want to see reproducibility. I’d never prescribe merely based on mice.

That being said, I realize that it’s very unlikely that we’ll see a human longevity study with rapamycin, so I’d be satisfied with a decent study showing heart disease or cancer prevention in a healthy human population using intermittent dosing.

8 Likes

Rapamycin will increase heart disease so no one is going to study it for that.

can you expand on that?

1 Like

He’s probably referring to the raised LDL levels from Rapamycin usage.

I’d counter with lower inflammation and senescent cell burden lowers heart disease risk. But, we really would need a study to answer this

3 Likes

If you really want to get into that discussion, see the 2,000+ post thread here: Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense and I imagine is where I’ll land as well once I’m practicing. I hope one day we do have that data.

1 Like