Exercise and it’s huge longevity benefit

This study, which I did not find on this forum to date is amazing. The answer to the title’s question is BOTH.

The Physical Activity Guidelines recommend performing 150 min of moderate- to vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity (MVPA) per week. These guidelines also recommend muscle-strengthening physical activity (MSPA) on ≥2 d·wk−1 for additional benefits including muscular fitness and bone health. The majority of the scientific evidence supporting the PA recommendations for health comes from studies of MVPA while the possible contributions of MSPA in these findings have been overlooked historically. Emerging evidence suggests that MSPA can independently protect against major cardiometabolic risk factors, chronic diseases, and mortality. Additional data from clinical trials indicate that many of the well-known health benefits of exercise, like improvements in cardiovascular disease risk factors, are more robust with combined MVPA and MSPA. This review will clarify the relative benefits of MSPA versus MVPA on health-related outcomes to determine the best type of PA for health.

6 Likes

Not everyone is in shape to do it, which I acknowledge, but long (120+ meter) sprint running is the single best exercise a human can do, in my opinion. I will probably die on this hill

4 Likes

Thanks. A good study. The conclusion is essentially obvious but it’s good that the science backs up the idea that you need to build / maintain muscle (glucose sink, offset of sedentary lifestyle, avoidance of sarcopenia, bone health, etc.) and you need healthy mitochondria (energy production, fat burning, etc.) for metabolic health. And each contributes to different parts of the cycle of mTOR (weight training) vs. AMPK (endurance exercise)…and focusing only on one or the other just cannot be a good thing.

1 Like

What caught my eye was a drop in all-cause mortality by over 40% from both strength training and aerobics together.

And I agree that seeing how both aerobics and strength training are complementary was really interesting.

Some may lack mobility to do a lot, but anything one can do is clearly worthwhile.

6 Likes

40% is a huge effect!

2 Likes