Eades, The Arrow this week

Michael Eades is a doctor and author and writes a weekly blog about medical issues and whatever else he thinks of:

https://arrow.proteinpower.com/p/arrow-170

A study that shows eating whole eggs vs eating the equal protein content in egg whites builds more muscle in young people than exercise. Because saturated fat.

Another showing that old people that eat 1.6g/kg protein vs .8 g/kg build more lean body mass and strength.

Then this video that helps explain a post I made to @AnUser where I tried to explain that it is better to lose an argument on this site than to win because you learn more by losing. There is no pay for winning. And the point of being here is to learn.

I hope people are not offended by ideas and examples:

7 Likes

You’re a far better person than he is.

Well, if you’re wrong, I am not going to tell you.

1 Like

Oh, that’s a typo and I’ve already edited it twice. Should be “young people that exercise”

Ok, in last week’s Arrow Eades talked about a way to determine whether a high CAC is going to kill you or not. I don’t understand how it works and my CAC scans do not include the information I need to plug and chug. Anyway here it is:

Coronary Calcium Scoring

Several years ago a paper appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) describing a better way to append risk to a coronary artery calcium (CAC) score. One of the authors of the paper is Matt Budhoff, who has probably published more papers on CAC scoring than anyone. He is also the lead author on all the Dave Feldman, Nick Norwitz studies such as the one I wrote about above and the new one going through peer review.
There are two types of plaque in coronary arteries: stable plaque and unstable plague. Stable plaque is basically what it’s name implies. It is stable and not prone to rupture and release a clot that could cause a heart attack. Unstable plaque, on the other hand, is a more volatile, dangerous situation. Unstable, soft, plaque can easily throw off a thrombus creating a real problem.
Years ago a researcher named George Mann did a lot of work with the Masai in Africa. He was one of the people involved early on in the famous Framingham study, so he was well aware of the lipid hypothesis. He knew that the Masai, who were herders, consumed a diet of primarily meat, milk, and blood. He also knew that everyone thought dietary saturated fat, of which the Masai ate plenty, was a risk factor for coronary artery disease. He was also aware that the Maasai rarely experienced the endpoint of heart disease—ie angina and heart attack.
In his first study, he did electrocardiograms on a large number of subjects and found few indications of heart disease. Several years later, he collected the hearts and aortas from autopsies of 50 Masai who had died from accidents. Surprisingly, he found extensive atherosclerosis in these subjects, yet they had no signs of cardiac damage. Despite the large amount of plaque, the arteries were wide open. Mann concluded that the active lifestyle of the Masai protected them against the effects of their extensive plaque.
I’m sure if those Masai were put through a CAC scan, they would have been found to have extraordinarily high scores. Yet they didn’t have what we could call “heart disease”.
They didn’t have heart disease because their plaque was stable.
Many, many people today have high CAC scores, but are not at risk of dying of a heart attack for the same reason. Although they have a lot of plaque, the plaque they have is stable.
But how to tell?
That’s what the JAMA paper mentioned above is all about.
The authors developed a scoring system that identifies stable plaque. They then looked at a large number of people who had undergone CAC scans years before and found out who had had heart attacks and who hadn’t. When they compared the scores determined by their new method of calculation, they found that the number of heart attacks fit nicely on their curve. Those in the 4th quartile, who were those with the most stable plaque, had very few heart attacks, while those in the 1st quartile, the least stable plaque, had the most.
When I was a partner in a scanning center (which I wish I still had), the software provided our patients with the regular score, which is called the Agatston score. I would then run calculations based on the JAMA paper methods, and the vast majority ended up in the 4th quartile, which was the one with the least risk.
In order to calculate what I call your true risk, you’ll need your Agatston score, which is the score you’ll be given with your test. You’ll need the plaque volume, which is usually included in the printout you get. You’ll need the thickness of the CT slice they took of your heart. This is included in about a third to a half of the reports I’ve seen from various centers. It will be either 3mm or 2.5mm.
You can tell which it is by the time it took you to get the CAC scan. If it took ~ 45 seconds to one minute, then you were scanned by an EBT machine and your slice thickness is 3mm. If your scan took 35 minutes to an hour, then you had a helical scanner and your slice thickness is 2.5mm.
Once you have that in hand along with your scan, you’re ready to roll. Here are the steps.

1. divide the volume score by the slice thickness
  2. take that number and divide it into the total calcium score
  3. look up that number on the chart below (Table 2 in the JAMA paper).
    Let’s take a look at a scan that a friend of mine sent me.
    616xauto
    I happen to know this scan was done on an EBT scan, so the slice thickness is 3mm.
    The total calcium score (the Agatston score) is 476.65. We can see that the volume score in the middle column above 401.73.
    Dividing the volume score by the slice thickness (401.73/3) gives us 133.91.
    Dividing that number into the calcium score of 476.65 (476.65/133.91) gives us 3.56.
    When we look up 3.56 on the table below, we find this person to be in the 4th quartile (he/she falls into the 3.19-4.0 range), which means he/she has low risk, despite his/her high Agatston score.
    616xauto
    I just had a friend come to me panicked about a calcium score he had received of 3,000, which is the highest I’ve ever seen. When I ran his calculations for him, I feared the worst, but he came in at 3.30, which puts him in the 4th quartile.
    Before he came to me, he had already undergone a thorough workup by his cardiologist, which included a stress echo. Which is the first thing that needs to be done in the face of a huge calcium score. His was perfect.
    His cardiologists wanted to pull out all the plugs, and give him every cholesterol-lowering agent known to man, despite his having a low LDL to start with. All of which he opted to forego. He is in otherwise perfect health and choses not to chase a lab value.
    I hope this helps in your understanding of what I feel is a better way to evaluate calcium scans. If it seems confusing, let me know, and I’ll try to explain it better next week.
1 Like

Similar comments this week about statins and stable plaque:

Artery-Clogging Plaque?

A commenter wonders about the difference between stable and unstable plaque.
If I understand you correctly, stable plaque isn’t something to worry about. But isn’t one danger of plaque that it builds up over time and eventually clogs the entire artery? Thus if you continued to get more and more “stable plaque,” couldn’t this create problems eventually if it were to fill the entire artery?
Many people think of plaque-filled arteries as being like clogged pipes. The plaque continues to grow until it occupies the entire lumen or opening through the artery. When it does grow big enough to occlude the artery and shuts off blood flow to heart tissue downstream, then that downstream tissue dies, an event we call a heart attack. That description makes a nice story and sounds plausible, but that’s not what really happens.
The plaque forms beneath the inner lining of the artery. As it grows, it can make a sort of bulge of the artery that intrudes a bit into the lumen, but the artery itself can expand and make a larger opening for the blood to flow through. As long as there exists a large enough channel to accommodate enough blood flow to the downstream tissues there isn’t a problem.
The plaque itself, which lies beneath the inner layer of the artery lining can be thought of almost as a large pimple or boil, composed of all kinds of sticky material. (How this happens would take a book to explain. Fortunately, Malcolm Kendrick wrote an easy-to-read book that explains it all nicely titled The Clot Thickens, which I highly recommend.)
If you think of this soft, goo-filled plaque as being kind of like an inflamed pimple, you can kind of get the idea. If the plaque bursts open and releases this inflammatory junk into the blood coursing through the artery, all hell breaks loose. The immune cells in the blood try to patch the leak. They recruit platelets, which accumulate and can form a sort of clot/scab. If this clot/scab breaks loose and floats downstream, that is what causes the occlusion.
Now if the body begins to repair this soft or unstable plaque by beating down the inflammation and shoring up the plaque with calcium, the soft plaque becomes hard or stable plaque, which is vastly less prone to rupture.
In the study of the Masai autopsies by George Mann I wrote about last week, the coronary arteries involved had plenty of hard plaque, but the opening through the arteries, the lumen, were wide open. Which is why the Masai did not experience heart disease (ie heart attack) despite having plenty of plaque.
You can stabilize plaque in a couple of ways. One way, strangely enough, is with statins. Apparently statins do stabilize plaque, probably by reducing a bit of the inflammation. Which is doubtless why those study subjects on statins experienced fewer fatal and non-fatal heart attacks as compared to those control subjects who didn’t take statins. But, on the whole, they didn’t live any longer. Which means the statins caused enough of them to die from some other cause to cancel out the modest benefit of reducing the number of heart attacks.
People get coronary calcium scans (CAC), find out they’ve got a lot of plaque, get put on a statin, and come back in a year or two for a repeat scan and discover that their scores worsened. So clearly they aren’t a certain cure for plaque.
Another way I believe plaque can be stabilized is with a low-carb diet. I discovered this from a long-time commenter on my blog. He was a real fan until he wasn’t. He commented positively about everything, then one day, he turned on me. After that, he had nothing positive to say and everything was a critique. I ended up reaching out to him to ask him why the change of heart.
He wrote back and said he had trusted me, and I had let him down. He wrote that he had gotten a bad CAC score and, based on the recommendations I had made on my blog and in our books, he went on a low-carb diet in an effort to lower his CAC score. When he went back a year later for a repeat, his score had gone up. And he was pissed.
I asked him to send me his score, which he did. I interpreted it as per the technique I wrote about last week and found him to be in the quartile who had the least risk. He was not placated. He went back to a low-fat diet, and I haven’t heard from him since. I suspect I never will.
I had a few other similar experiences—not of someone being an asshole, but of people who had their CAC scores go up a bit after switching to a low-carb diet. I had one patient who is a close friend of mine end up with a hugely elevated CAC score. I was a little worried about recommending a low-carb diet to him, so before I did, I reached out to Bill Davis, who before he got all into Wheat Belly and anti-gluten, wrote a book on calcium scanning and plaque reversal.
I told him about the dilemma with my friend. He told me that after he started putting his patients (all of them heart patients as he is a cardiologist) on low-carb diets, his life had changed. He said he got to spend his nights at home instead of at the hospital because he didn’t see heart attacks any longer. He said he still saw horrible CAC scores and still saw terrible lipid levels, but that he didn’t see heart attacks.
That conversation along with my experience with the new way of calculating risk combined with the aggregate experience MD and I had with patients, made me comfortable using a low-carb diet in folks with high CAC scores. MD and I treated many, many patients over the years with low-carb diets. Most of them were middle-aged folks with bad lipid levels, high blood pressure, and even diabetes. Patients stayed with our program for many months. If you take the number of patients we had times the amount of time they spent with us, it turns out to be many thousands of patient-weeks. And these were patient weeks of people who were at high risk for heart disease given their age and co-morbidities. Yet we never had one of our active patients who had a heart attack.

More on Statins

I received the next couple of responses from readers. They go along with the many stories I’ve heard from my own patients who have been put on statins.
Hate to beat a dead horse (statins), but check out the former rugby player who was told he had terminal nuero issues, so he quit statins, and guess what - he recovered. Paul Gill from Leeds UK. If this link doesn’t work google his story. Big question is with the platoon of physicians, why did not one of them say: maybe it’s the statins? Ugh! https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/health/former-rugby-player-from-yorkshire-diagnosed-with-mnd-discovers-symptoms-were-caused-by-statin-pills-4509761
This one via email.
As a Statin side-effected individual, I feel the need to share some acquired insight on Statin drugs for the benefit of your subscribers.

Statins are a category of CoA Reductase inhibitors that essentially “Gird” the Mevalonate pathway to inhibit the production of an enzyme needed to produce cholesterol. This pathway is also an essential avenue for the production of Heme-A, Dolichols, and Ubiquinol; all of which are necessary to good health, and all of which are likewise inhibited.

At least one of the drugs used to achieve this effect, Lipitor, is able to cross the blood/brain barrier and enter the brain itself. The brain is, in its makeup, essentially a trove of cholesterol, and who knows what the effect of this pharmaceutical exchange in this environment might be?

CoA reductase inhibitors can also interfere with transporter pathway slc01b1.

Having SLCO1B1 decreased function means that you may have reduced transport of certain medications into the liver for processing and removal from the body. This may lead to higher than normal medication (Statin) levels in the body.

I can tell you from first-hand experience how potentially destructive Statins an be, as I was placed on a Lipitor regimen in early 2000 after my PCP at the time found my total cholesterol was dangerously high at 220. I was a typical medical “lemming”, and I took the medication as prescribed. In two months I was in pain from head to toe, had difficulty walking and was only comfortable in a recliner. Prior to this I went to the gym three times a week, played frisbee golf and volleyball, and Kayaked on a lake near my home in Colleyville, Texas. After some months of follow-up, I went to a physician, a family friend, who picked up a tome she referred to as the Physicians’ Desk Reference, and looking up the Statin drug, Lipitor, began to read aloud all the problems I was experiencing. I stopped the drugs and found a website hosted by Dr. Duane Gravline, a NASA physician who had also been side-effected (https://spacedoc.com/). The rest of this story is a journey of self-education and partial recovery which I won’t relate here. Suffice to say I am now an adamantly vocal critic of cholesterol management. I recommend Dr Graveline’s website category “Spacedoc Forum” to any and all.
I communicated with Dr. Graveline years ago. He is no longer with us. He died ~ten years or so ago. He went on statins while in NASA and got complete amnesia. He recovered when he went off the drug, but the docs at NASA put him on a lower dose, after which the symptoms returned. He ended up devoting most of his time to his spacedoc writings. He had kind of a checkered past, but he was definitely injured by statins and wanted to get his story out.
I’m posting the correspondence from these two people just to demonstrate that statins are not without issues. In some cases, very serious issues. Although many people take them and seem to experience no problems, on the whole, they are not benign drugs. At least not in my opinion.
Especially since they are given to lower LDL levels to prevent heart disease, and LDL has never been shown to cause heart disease.

1 Like

People act weird about this class of medications.

Any drug can have side effects, and the side effect profile varies across patients. Sometimes you can predict this based on a genome sequence or genetic assay, and sometimes you just have to try the drug to see how it affects you.

Not trying a statin because you fear side effects seems overly cautious to me.

Stopping a statin immediately (and trying a different statin or going straight to trying another lipid modulating drug) after experiencing side effects makes perfect sense to me.

Continuing to take a statin if you have not experienced troubling side effects also seems perfectly sensible to me.

I don’t understand all the bickering about this class of drugs.

3 Likes

It isn’t just statins. 5ar inhibitors, SSRI, GLP1 and accutane are all hated by conspiracy theorists. My best guess is that those medications work so well that influencers on youtube/tiktok/instagram have to antagonize them in order to keep scamming people with natural products. The conspiracy people of course eat that up because they distrust the government, society and basically everyone but will put their lives in the hands of some internet celebrity doctor. Basically malfunctioning npc.

1 Like

I totally agree. All drugs work for most people, but not all. There are known side effects for most drugs and most side effects are moderate and reversible.

No need to get religious on some drugs. Try, then test, then modify protocol as necessary.

Simplistic thinking, such as “statins are bad”, or “rapamycin is too risky”, is not the scientific approach we try to encourage here.

Assess risk, test if you think the risk/reward ratio is reasonable, gather (and share) data, adjust protocol, and repeat.

3 Likes

After I read the first article on the study published in 2014 (10 years?) in JAMA which explains that it’s the density of the plaque that determines whether you will die or not, I wanted to share this information. I’ve had 3 CACs since then and the hospital that did it didn’t even include the volume number. It’s been a year and I doubt I can get that info, but I may try just to see what happens. Also my doctor looked at them all and never mentioned that the density of the plaque matters. Is JAMA publishing nonsense?

Eades is a good doctor, and even though I spend a lot of time reading about medical stuff, he teaches me something new every week.

(post deleted by author)