Drugs increase slow wave sleep and has proven memory/cognitive effects

which cheap generic drugs increase slow wave sleep and has proven memory/cognitive effects in different populations?

I know Gabapentin, baclofen, tiagabine, trazadone, mitirzapine are cheap, increase sws in different populations - but does the mechanism in how they increase sws (or normalize it due to sws decline with age) result in cognitive, memory etc. benefits?

Personally I have experience with three out of the bunch you mention and while all having a good effect on sleep they were all detrimental for my cognitive abilities and memory while taking them. I would never take any of those again. But that was immediate effect on cognition and memory. The longest I took low dose Mirtazapine but while being best for sleep it was the worst for cognitive abilities.

1 Like

Mirtazapin and trazadone (same mechanism) improves my SWS but destroys me the next day. I’m completely fatigued and drowsy.

Gabapentin seems to improve my sleep and cognition somewhat albeit being a little high the first 10 minutes when I wake up.

I would love to experiment with tiagabine and baclofen.

Has anyone tried Suvorexant. I saw an article that said it might protect against dementia. My insurance doesn’t cover it & it seems to be about $300/month.