Drug holiday with rapamycin

Hi. Anyone doing a drug holiday from rapamycin? If so how many weeks on drug and how many weeks off? I have been doing 5 mg for 4 weeks now and dont know if I need to holiday at some point. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve been toying with the idea of doing weekly for 4 weeks and then on the 5th week waiting an additional week before I go back to weekly. I of course have no idea if that would be beneficial.

3 Likes

Taking my first rapamycin holiday in 2 years and 4 months use. Took 6mg for first 18 months and as high as 36 ng/mL for the last 7 months

Got a bad reverse in my biological age 15 years… still good at 51 years, but was 37 years.

Talked today with the GlycanAge Ph.D researcher. We concur the higher dosage is not good for me.

Taking 1 month off…(already been 2 weeks) then going back to 6mg dose with 10 days between dosing. Will retest in 6 months.

2 Likes

Attia does 8 weeks on, 5 off (6mg/week). There’s no good reason he can give for that though. I don’t see the need personally, since we’re fully depleting between doses.

2 Likes

I agree… just want a few extra days between dosing. Ultimately 6mg 10 days between.

2 Likes

I have taken between a 1 week and 3 week break between doses to wait for some side-effects to subside. Honestly, I probably could have used creams/ointments to treat the side-effects and keep going. When I return to using Rapamycin, it feels like I never stopped. IMHO, taking a break doesn’t do anything bad.

1 Like

When people calculate the dosage and frequency of dosing they need to consider the 60 hour half life. I also take melatonin which has a serum half life of about 30 mins. 60 hours is a long time.

The professionals who aim to have the drug at a level which does not inhibit MTORC2 by the time of the next dose need to recalculate. If you have identified a serum level at which MTORC2 should be active (and personally I would not want MTORC1 not to be active ever) then you need to identify what percentage of time you wish to have MTORC2 active and calculate the dosage and frequency to hit that.

I do intend taking 2mg again in 2023 and one of the many things I take accentuates th effect. However, I really don’t understand why people take it weekly (or even every 10 days).

Its effects almost certainly arise from encouraging autophagy, it would probably be best combined with a couple of days fasting, probably taken part way into the fast rather than at the start. (after the first day possibly).

How often do you need to do that?

Incidentally I see the argument for a higher dose, but I want to take the same dose so I can compare the outcomes.

1 Like

FWIW

I am on a 120 day “rapamycin fast.” My last dose was October 10, 2022, my dosing was at 8mg a week with GFJ and wild caught sardines in EVOO - started February 20, 2022 at 2mg a week with wild caught sardines in EVOO.

120 days is time required to replace red blood cells.

Red blood cells carry/transport 90% or more of rapamycin.{this was mentioned in the original paper on how to measure rapamycin, I posted this paper on this forum early this year (2022)

My thoughts is new red blood cells {not sensitized to rapamycin] for my next dosing session.

3 Likes

I think thats a really old data point. Last time he posted he’s at 10mg/week, and I think he’s dropped the vacations from rapamycin.

4 Likes

Today I restarted taking rapamycin after a ~14-week hiatus.
My usual and constant morning glucose measurement after fasting is 99-101 mg/dL.
I started the day with my usual morning black coffee. At 9 AM I took 10oz of Ruby Red Florida unpastured not from concentrate grapefruit juice. At 10 AM I took 3mg of rapamycin in 1oz of EVOO. At 12 AM my blood glucose was 87 mg/dL which surprised me. Apparently, something has improved my insulin resistance. This time I have recent blood tests to compare with going forward my aim is to take rapamycin while keeping my blood markers within the generally accepted “normal” range except for LDL which has been shown to be better in the above-normal range for all-cause mortality.

7 Likes

That’s interesting. Did you experience worsening of blood glucose when taking rapamycin? If so then perhaps the break from rapamycin improved your insulin sensitivity.

1 Like

Yes, my fasting glucose has always gone up when I am taking rapamycin. And yes, it goes down when I take a break from rapamycin.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how long it takes for it to get worse after starting and how long it takes for it to get to get better after stopping in your case? I’m guessing that for most people it takes at least a few weeks because the effect on blood glucose is likely caused by mTORC2 inhibition, which takes a while to get apparent.

1 Like

I started a thread on which I posted my CGM readings. I have implanted another CGM and will probably be taking Rapamycin on Friday morning.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, there are many variables such as not maintaining a proper diet over the holiday season. I measure my fasting glucose daily and even on a proper diet, it varies as much as 10 points. It may be due to the inaccuracy of the glucose test strips, or a minor change in diet. I usually notice it starts to go down about a month after stopping rapamycin. I have only done this twice over the last 18 months.
My fasting blood sugar seems to elevate almost immediately when I start taking rapamycin again. Is it my age? I don’t really know.

2 Likes