Dr. Sandra Kaufmann's thoughts on Rapamycin

Hello all,

This site is amazing. I have spent a lot of time reading various topics on this site (and feel like I have only scratched the surface).

Based on some of the suggestions on this site, I ordered Sirolimus from Oddway International and am waiting for it to arrive to my home in Canada. In the meantime, I am trying to learn what to look out for when taking Rapamycin, dosing, risks, whether to fast before or after taking it, whether to take it in the morning or afternoon, when to resume exercise after taking it, what blood biomarkers to test whether Rapamycin is having any effect, etc.

I have two questions for now:

1. What blood biomarkers should I test to see if Rapamycin is getting absorbed? When should I do the test - a day after taking Rapamycin, a week later, some other time interval?
  2. I came across this excerpt from the Modern Healthspan interview with Dr. Kaufmann and am curious what everyone’s thoughts are on her warning about rapamycin?

Thank you so much in advance for your answers.

6 Likes

Does anyone know anything about her possible hippocampus shrinkage claim? I know that the possible sarcopenia claim is largely dispelled.

3 Likes

I heard her state this maybe a year or so ago so it’s not new. Am I throwing away my rapamycin based on the opinion of one person? Nope

2 Likes

Hi @a.kladar
Welcome to the site :blush:
I’m not sure about the exact bio markers to test for regarding absorption. However, I generally track things like lipid levels, liver markers and iron levels.
I recall listening to Dr Kaufmann and certainly respect her opinion. For me, it comes down to risk v reward. Thus far I haven’t really experienced any serious side effects from taking Rapa. I have a family history of cardiovascular disease and aggressive prostate cancer. Given this, I’m happy to take a chance on Rapa.
All the best!

4 Likes

I think the video just illustrates how a little knowledge and an authoritative tone can be so dangerous. People like her and Sinclair just undermine the entire community.

10 Likes

Exactly. Not to mention different facebook groups etc, that are made to “support” these individuals, same time promoting supplements of different brands for commission.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your thoughts on the matter. I’m a newbie to rapamycin so I am trying to learn as much as possible. I really value the thoughts of this community as most of you have first hand experience in taking rapamycin. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Thus far, I have not been impressed by Dr Kaufman. Don’t agree with much of what she says. About life/health extension.

4 Likes

I was discouraged from listening to her when she said that she eats a junk food diet. It certainly made me question her advice.

6 Likes

Well for the moment, she’s controversial for this group but she has the same end goal as most here. I would like to see her post on this board.

4 Likes

Hope you are right. She is contributing to the cause. I just thought her supplement choices were odd, and that making a profit was her priority.

3 Likes

She has a couple of books. I have the first one. I also think she does consultations.
She will respond if you email her. kaufmannaai@gmail.com
I have thought about asking her to join here.

2 Likes

Dr Kaufmann sounds like this stuff is all decided and she knows all about it. That’s some bs right there. I noticed improvement in sarcopenia, not sarcopenia. I’m a computer programmer and memory loss is def not ok and I keep a vigilant eye out for it at 58. So far so good.

As for fasting and when to take it, rapamycin is THE signal that there ain’t nothin to grow with so don’t. At least that’s what everyone seems to say. go anabolic versus go catabolic. So it’s basically the end game of fasting. No point in fasting if you’ve already done (at least for the tissues it reaches) what it takes to create this signal of - yep - no food - get ready.

i take it once a week in the morning and the dosage is typically 6mg but I’ll stick with 5 and skip weeks sometimes. In the morning cuz it’ll wire you a tiny bit and sleep should always be a careful priority. you’ll probably feeeeel the effects of rapa if you’re over 50. You may not notice them right away but then you’ll think back and go “Huh! I didn’t have this ache I usually have.” Rapamycin effects can be sneaky.

good luck to ya.

1 Like

What blood biomarkers should I test

Keep an eye on LDL-cholesterol and ApoB. Mine skyrocketed on rapamycin and came back down after stopping. I’m not sure if I will be able to use rapamycin or not. It will definitely require a statin (or other ApoB lowering medication) if I do, Unfortunately PCSK-9 inhibitors are too expensive.

Baseline before Rapa: LDL-C 187 mg/dL, ApoB N/A
Peak during Rapa: LDL-C 267, ApoB 132 mg/dL
5 weeks after stopping Rapa: LDL-C 183 mg/dL, ApoB 91 mg/dL

8 Likes

I have started a Statin because of the Rapa. Not that is much downside to a Statin.

3 Likes

ER doctors are the best at our medical university. Nice!

Curious… have you gotten a Coronary Calcium Scan yet??

Maybe the rapamycin LDL - C bump is temporary like mine… was at 179 for a while after rapamycin. Now 120.

I am getting new blood work tests on Tuesday. Will see if it is holding.

4 Likes

Your LDL percentile was already in 97th percentile to begin with, and your non-HDL-c might be still elevated, even if apoB is ok right now. Keeping apoB below the 5th percentile decreases causal lifetime risk for heart disease by a lot, you will probably need to try a statin or other drug like the rest of us for that, if you are convinced. But unfortunate how much it increased by. How does your diet look like by the way? Do you try to limit saturated fat, replacing it with polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fat?

1 Like

Limiting saturated fat is extremely difficult for me, unfortunately. It’s the only satiating thing. I’ll probably get on a statin or similar soon.

1 Like

how long was LDL-C elevated?

1 Like

Seems like you could also have genetic hyperlipidemia predisposition? You were a candidate for aggressive lowering strategy to begin with as AnUser pointed out. You seem young and this level of LDL-C is really not normal. Does atherosclerotic disease or severe premature hyperlipidemia run your in family?
If you can’t lower the saturated fat intake you might consider limiting carbohydrates…

1 Like