Dr. Attia on Taurine

Taurine effects the gaba system in the brain. It is used by some persons to improve sleep.

Since our brains are wired in a personalized way, I am not surprised that T can have your effect on some persons.

2 Likes

what? we have personalised brains?
Thats really strange :rofl:

thanks, didn’t know that with gaba.

Just a quick notice:
I do not have any adverse events like before, if I take taurine at the evening. That’s the solution at least in my case.

But … after 4 days of trying: I didn’t noticed anything. Should I? Does anyone?

2 Likes

Taurine is a senomorphic that prevents senescent cells from forming. That should cause less inflammation. You may be able to pick it up in a blood test. It also helps with sleep. There are other benefits as well.

As for feeling it, I’m not sure how to measure that.

2 Likes

I was hoping that it will increase excercise performence or maybe sleep quality. I have read (in some papers) that it might. My first try (before doing sports in the morning) was promising.

Did you have any good study for T as a senomorpohic at hand? It wasn’t mentioned in “Effects and Mechanisms of Taurine as a Therapeutic Agent” and I’m wondering why.

Please see this guide on Taurine

2 Likes

3 Likes

Taurine levels are, however, a symptom of the failure of homeostasis which is a failure of gene expression. Hence although fixing this has an effect which is probably (dose dependent) beneficial, it is not fixing aging. (unlike fixing the mitochondria and acetyl-coa levels).

4 Likes

Nothing so far has fixed aging in humans which is why this kind of argument will lead us nowhere.

2 Likes

I just saw a research presentation last week on how taurine binds to GABA receptors and is a major factor in reducing hyperactivity in mice: the experiment showed that with taurine-deficient “knock out” mice they were hyperactive, but supplementation with taurine significantly reduced their hyperactivity (measured in mental performance, maze running, and actions). Im not a mouse psychologist (or a human psychologist) but it sounds like the mice reaction was the opposite of what you see. I dont think the research has yet been published so no reference available.

3 Likes

I have the impression that I can not think “clear/streight” when I take taurine in the morning. Also about one or two hours after taking it. It was horrible at work when trying to think about issues.
I stopped taking it on weekdays. And yes I also only take it in the evening now.

2 Likes

I love the anecdote of the 82 yo lady who couldn’t play tennis anymore. After taking Taurine, she was back on the court!

7 Likes

FWIW

Those who are interested.

The person speaking is Dr. Mark Rosenberg MD.

3 Likes

Easy enough to try! Right now I take 2g per day. I’ll push it to 10 and see if I feel like Superman w/diarrhea (Super Diarrhea Man?):laughing:. UP, UP AND A UH OH

7 Likes

Hmmm… been on Taurine for awhile on my second bag… ordered it from Amazon.

I put in my morning coffee… one teaspoon, so about 5.6 grams.

Maybe up it to 2 teaspoons after listening to Dr. Mark Rosenberg. Thanks.

7 Likes

How is your experiment with Taurine going? In my case, T has a small positive effect on my maximal performance in endurance activities. I find that T is an additive (performance enhancing supplement) to coffee. I have coffee with 1.5 grams two hours before maximal effort, or Coffee with 0.5–0.7 grams 30 minutes before exercise.

3 Likes

I’m not pretty sure. Seems compareable to your results but I’m absolutely over-worked ATM, so I can’t be sure if it is Taurine or just a little recovery.
I’m on 5-6g 1h befor going to bed. If I’m exhausted from sports it seems that I have a faster recovery or just feeling lesser exhausted or so.

I don’t think that I have performance gains like feeling in the first place.

But I have seen enough to ask my mother to try it and eventually include it in my shop.

1 Like

Has anyone here received anything like the benefits that Dr. Rosenberg describes in the video?

1 Like

I’ve been taking 8g per day for about four months now, and haven’t noticed any effects at all.

I guess you could take it as a sign that you are incredibly healthy/young. :wink:

Maybe I need to practice more stoicism. :slight_smile:

3 Likes