Dosing of Metformin

Lol. They’re looking at daily doses for cancer treatment.

Not sure what you are talking about as the study I referenced is using rats with diabetes caused by Sirolimus.

Many users on this forum also have experienced hyperglycemia due to Rapamycin intake. It’s one of the common side effects along with increased triglycerides. So, yes, Metformin helps with hyperglycemic effects.

The study compared diabetics to non diabetics, so control group was different. Could it be that diabetics only taking Metformin are the healthiest diabetic patients and therefor live longer? Study was not blinded and was retrospective, both considered strong negatives for study quality.

Why would you look at a rat study.

(post deleted by user)

KarlIt, This is the discussion board. Probably not best to keep carrying on with dogmatic assertions that Metformin is not beneficial. I think you have made your point nicely. The UK study had to be terminated on ethical grounds. The TAME study had to be carefully structured so that it would not suffer the same fate. And it seems to pair nicely with rapamycin.

2 Likes

The UK study was not terminated. It was a backward-looking retrospective analysis comparing a metformin-treated diabetic cohort, a sulphonylurea-treated diabetic cohort, and a non-diabetic (supposedly) non-treated cohort. Yes, amongst the 180,000 people analyzed, the metformin-treated diabetic group lived the longest.

To me, after looking at the British diet, obesity levels, and the information from the study, I would assume there may be a lot of undiagnosed diabetics in the untreated cohort!

Some 7% of the UK population are now living with diabetes (diagnosed); approximately one million people have undiagnosed type 2 diabetes, 40 000 children have diabetes and more than 3000 children are diagnosed every year.

It is possible that Nir B has that wrong. When I get a chance I will find a video where he discusses how the TAME study was set up.

Nir B is the Metformin master, so I doubt he would be wrong. If I am wrong, I am quite interested to find out! Maybe we are talking about different studies? The one I am talking about is not TAME but the UK retrospective analysis. Right now I view Rapamycin+Metformin as a powerful synergistic combination but if I am wrong, I would want to know ASAP.

1 Like

This is the five-year NIH study that had to be stopped after four years.

1 Like

You obviously don’t know how to conduct a proper search or analyze the data.

You’re being foolish if you look at all of this that simplistically.
You can’t compare the abundance of data on Metformin with the minimal positive data for Rapa in humans…

2 Likes

To answer the original question, I was prescribed 1000 MG of ER. But the TAME study gives participants 1500 MG taken at the same time each day, either morning or evening.

1 Like

Could you clarify what you mean? I can’t discuss if I disagree? Thanks

Effect of Metformin and Lifestyle Interventions on Mortality in the Diabetes Prevention Program and Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study:

CONCLUSIONS

Cancer was the leading cause of mortality among adults at high risk for type 2 diabetes. Although metformin and lifestyle modification prevented diabetes, neither strategy reduced all-cause, cancer, or cardiovascular mortality rates.

1 Like

Please educate me and tell me where I have erred?

Can you link to this study? I would assume that most people taking Metformin are hoping for increased healthspan rather than lifespan. What is your reaction to the study I posted?

Or are you suggesting that my life span would be improved if I had diabetes with Metformin over no diabetes with or without Metformin? Not to say that there is no precedence for that approach. Inducing malaria to treat syphilis was enough to win the Nobel prize for medicine.

Not sure which study you need a link to.

And I am anything but dogmatic about anything except that I believe in acting on factual scientific info and expert opinion.

I know nothing about your health. Clearly anyone is better off without diabetes. Metformin will help treat the diabetes and lessen the effects of the disease. But based on my evaluation of the literature and expert opinion, I see no use at the time for a non diabetic to take Metformin. If TAME proves it works then I’ll change my opinion.

I agree with you, but I would also say that metformin would also help those with pre-diabetes or obese from becoming diabetic.

Given the number of diabetics, obese and pre-diabetic individuals, it would probably be useful to most residents of the western world…

1 Like

That is a fine view to take. Many would say the same about rapamycin. Neither has been proven in human studies. My hope is that someday there will be scientific studies to support the use of both drugs. In the meantime, I like many will take Metformin and rapamycin with the hope that both will be beneficial. And there is a lot of data to back up each drug and especially in combination.

4 Likes

I personally take 500mg of metformin on days I don’t exercise. My fasting glucose slightly decreased after taking rapamycin after 6 weeks, so I hope they work together really well with insulin, glucose etc. There is some talk about acarbose + rapamycin working better than metformin when it comes to lifespan so Its hard to choose which one to go with. My doctor had no problem prescribing me metformin despite me not having diabetes, so metformin is easier than acarbose to access at this time.

I would love to see more studies with rapamycin + metformin combined.

2 Likes

I think I may be turning against Metformin. This new study sheds light on the bad practice of the previous Metformin study that showed diabetics on Metformin lived longer than non-diabetics.

The key point is that as soon as a diabetic on Metformin started using another diabetic drug because his diabetes got worse, they were dropped from the group. So, if an individual got sicker, they were removed from the group. The comparison groups were not changed at all no matter what.

Conclusion: If you are not diabetic or not taking rapamycin, you should not be taking Metformin. If you are exercising regularly and healthy and not taking rapamycin, metformin is detrimental at worst and neutral at best.