Does this study suggest that taurine and rapamycin interfere with each other?

The effect of taurine could be mediated by its ability to attenuate ROS level and block OTA-promoted autophagy. Indeed, induction of autophagy by rapamycin could suppress the inhibitory effect of taurine on OTA-promoted PCV2 replication. Furthermore, taurine supplementation inhibited 5’AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) and activated mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR). Activation of AMPK by acadesine (AICAR) could suppress the effect of taurine. In conclusion, taurine treatment suppresses autophagy by regulating the ROS/AMPK/mTOR signaling axis, thereby inhibiting OTA-promoted PCV2 replication.

Disappointing if I’m interpreting this correctly as I’ve already bought a large supply of both. Strange that taurine activates mTOR yet extends lifespan (at least in mice and other animals).

3 Likes

I can not show any research about the relative effects on mTOR, between Rapamycin vs Taurine. But here are my thoughts.

There are lots of things that activate mTOR. When we are fed, mTOR is activated and when we are starving, mTOR is inhibited.

I guess we have to think in terms of relative strength. Rapamycin is a very strong and specific mTOR inhibitor. It inhibits mTOR even when we are normally fed in everyday life. In this perspective, mTOR will be inhibited by rapamycin even if we eat meat, take Taurine or other nutrients.

7 Likes

Do not worry. Globally, taurine and rapamycin complement each other perfectly

Can you point to studies showing this?

Just the one I cited in the OP, here’s a link to the full study. Admittedly, much of it is beyond my comprehension.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0009279718309888